“Long stay and it was generally fine” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn & Suites Winnipeg Downtown

Holiday Inn & Suites Winnipeg Downtown
Ranked #30 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Long stay and it was generally fine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

Having seen Autodrive's recent review, I feel the need to chime in. We were there the previous week, checking out 9/9. What he didn't know was that a hotel guest had triggered the sprinkler system Sunday morning, causing a great deal of water damage on one or more floors and flooding the stairwell. Those of us who had to walk up 10 or 11 flights of stairs at 3 a.m. after being evacuated to the street were grateful that there was one elevator operating come checkout time a few hours later.
We stayed for a full week and found the staff to be very helpful,the rooms clean and quiet. Yes, we paid for parking but that's expected in a downtown hotel. And in any Holiday Inn I've stayed at, water is for Priority Club members not all guests.
Can't speak to the hotel restaurant. The evening we checked in, the desk clerk recommended Stella's across the street and we ate there almost every day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kyne H, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Winnipeg Downtown, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
I really do appreciate you sharing your experience while staying with us. The unforeseen circumstances in regards to the flood were not to anyone’s liking. I do apologize on behalf of the entire hotel for the inconvenience of that night and appreciate your understanding. Hopefully you have a chance to try our restaurant during your next stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Brandon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for one night in this hotel.. Upon checking in, the desk clerk was nice enough to look for a room and change our room to what we requested however she did not gave us any bottled water which i thot was free and i could see it just on top of the glass cabinet behind her (note: booked this hotel at a website for a discounted price of $77). Parking was $15 overnyt. The room was a little small but was clean and updated.. There were only two elevators in the hotel and the other one was out of order..we had to wait a little longer to go up and down. One time we waited for 5 mins for the elevator and when it finally opened it was full of garbage bags and had to wait again for the bags to get unloaded( do they not have a service elevator? It wasnt really a good site to see). The ice machine in our floor was out of order as well. Went to the pool area but only stayed there for 15 mins as it was making me dizzy.. Chlorine was too strong..
Although the bed was comfortable i dont think we will stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. You happened to stay when one of our elevators was being serviced, in which I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused as we take the safety of our guests very serious and ensure every part of our building is always to safety standards. The water you mentioned seeing at check in, is a gift for our Priority Club members. By signing up, guests receive a small gift as well as collect points towards free stays or convert to air miles or aero plan miles. The program has great perks and I would suggest signing up if you do planning on staying at any IHG properties in the future. Thank you and I hope you do stay with us again in the future.
Yorkton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

We only stayed for night but as a group of 4 ( 2 adults 1 toddler and 1 infant) they met all my expectations. We requested a crib and got it.. had our room early by about a half hour. Location was good and central. Kinda sucked you have to pay for parking ( 15$ per day) but oh well. We used the pool which is pretty much standard. Room was small for all 4 of us but clean. Beds are good and way more comfortable than what any other hotel has at that price range ( payed 72$ before taxes and fees at hotwire.com) Never tried the food but was nice to have the option of room service for this price of a hotel. Otherwise I would recommend this hotel and would stay again if I need it. Thanks Holiday Inn

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kyne H, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Winnipeg Downtown, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for your comments in regards to your stay. I do appreciate when guests take time out of their busy schedules to share their experiences. It is great that you were able to take advantage of some of the summer discount specials we had on. Keep us in mind next time you require a good night’s sleep in Winnipeg!
Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

When I did my booking, I did not read many of the existing reviews, I thought Holiday would a have the minimum standard I am looking for. We arrived after a long drive and no help to unload our bags was offered. No concierge, no bell boy and no assistance. The first impression gave it all. Small reception area, and after arriving to the third floor, the rooms were even smaller, low ceilings bad smell and no real air circulation. The room had a small external device fixed to the wall which turned out to be an air condition unit, anitque must be from the 60's. Air circulation was very poor. Despite having a coffee machine in the room there was no mini bar or fridge. shower tub was anything else then white in color, black stains all over.

Location is downtown, I did not know when I did my booking, but it is definitely not recommended. We were almost every 20 minutes or so disturbed by the yelling sirens of emergency vehicles. Security I came to know is also a challenge downtown.

I had to complete my five days because pay,ent was non refundable, otherwise we would have checked out from the first day.

Staff was friendly and tried to help, but was no chance to make up for all the other shortcomings. In a nutshell, the hotel is old, not properly renovated and rottened down, don't expect more!

Experiance teaches... Never again !!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Gass1
Kyne H, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Winnipeg Downtown, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I am very sorry to hear your time spent with us was a disappointment. I have passed your comments on to the Housekeeping team.

The Holiday Inn & Suites completed extensive refurbishments and renovations in 2011 so we are just as surprised as you are about the conditions of the room. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. We take the cleanliness of our rooms very seriously and extend our sincere apologies for the unpleasant smells you experienced. We have since discussed this issue with the relevant parties and again apologise.

In addition, you mentioned the downtown noise; yes, we are situated in the downtown of Winnipeg and sometimes sirens can be bothersome but that is very unusual to hear outside noises in the room.

We have microwaves and fridges in some of the rooms and if it is a requirement then your request can be accommodated.

Regardless, we apologise for this and thank you for letting us know as we continually seek to offer personalised service and quality accommodation. Again, I apologize for the inconveniences caused and thank you for bringing this to my attention. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future!
Waterloo, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

Great central location with fairly easy to access parking. Despite the age of the property, the rooms are nicely renovated. The bed is very, very comfortable. Moderate street noise can be heard, and the AC unit is ancient. The restaurant was decent for breakfast. Overall, no complaints.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your experience at the Holiday Inn and Suites Winnipeg downtown. Our hotel was built in 1986 and had a multi-million dollar renovation in 2011. I hope you had the chance to enjoy all we have to offer with our pool, jacuzzi and gym areas as well as the 2 restaurants and a Starbucks connected to our hotel. I hope you keep us in mind for your next visit to Winnipeg. Thank you again for your comments!
Kenora, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

Hotel was clean, attendant at the counter was hepful and did suggest a cheaper option for parking over night. The garbage truck next door in the parking lot at 4 AM was not a pleasant treat. it shook the hotel room and awoke me. I could not gte back to sleep after. I am a sleep professional and do not have a problem sleeping like a log pretty well anywhere anytime.

Room Tip: Away from the parking lot on the North East Side side of the building. Trip adviser price of $92
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kyne H, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Winnipeg Downtown, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
I thank you for taking the time to share your hotel experience. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you may have experienced from the garbage bins being removed early in the morning. I have contacted the garbage company to request a more reasonable hour for the garbage to be removed as we appreciate how important an uninterrupted sleep is when travelling. Thank you and we do hope to see you again.
Fargo, ND
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

This was a bit disappointing for a downtown Holiday Inn. The hotel looks to have seen better days. The lobby is very small with very little space for one to sit, even if only waiting for something. The room was OK, although my wife questioned the cleanliness of the carpet. We decided not to stay a second night there and shifted to a B&B. In short, the stay was OK and the room adequate, but not what I expected when I reserved the room. We will not stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kyne H, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Winnipeg Downtown, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
We at the Holiday Inn and Suites Winnipeg Downtown, always appreciate comments from our guests. Our hotel was recently fully renovated in 2011, which all guest room received new furniture, new carpet and every room comes equipped with a 37” flat panel TV. Our lobby has a large screen TV with 6 chairs to enjoy any events that may be on like the Olympics. We also have two restaurant choices with the Peppermill restaurant and Garbonzo’s restaurant as well as a Starbucks coffee shop. I hope you have a chance to experience everything we have to offer including our pool and gym.