The Marlborough Hotel
Ranked #57 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed February 28, 2011

Last week I spent two nights at The Marlborough Hotel. I live close to the city but because of bad weather I didn't want to miss my downtown meetings. the hotel was very busy. In spite of this I had a good experience. The staff was friendly and I enjoyed the breakfast included feature. The resturant is very unique. My room was well priced and fit my needs. I was a little worried about noise because of the number of people in the hotel but this was not a problem. Wifi worked well. I didn't use the pool or exercise room as they were full of other people.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank canuckMatlock

Reviewed February 15, 2011

Have stayed here twice in the last 2 years and have been very pleased both times. First off it is the least expensive hotel you can find being in the heart of the city (about $75 per night). Has a pool with a waterslide and a hot tub. Free breakfast is not just bagels and cereal but you order off a menu with dishes such as eggs benedict to french toast. For the price I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank BKid23
Inter1, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing The Marlborough Hotel during your visit to Winnipeg and for taking the time to share your positive views about us. Your description of our heritage hotel as a ‘Great Deal’ offering great rates at a convenient location, our pool with a water slide and hot tub and the comment on our complimentary breakfast, describes exactly what we are committed to offering travelers to Winnipeg. We believe we are downtown Winnipeg’s leading full service hotel for price conscious visitors.
On behalf of our whole team, thank you once again for your kind comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to Winnipeg and to The Marlborough Hotel.

The Marlborough Hotel
Member of WORLDHOTEL

Reviewed January 2, 2011

So I am an eighteen year old girl who came here to party, and I even thought it was horrible!!!! I am not a picky person!!...
So the first room I went to was a non smoking room.. Not bad a lil out dated but I was like hey I'm not that concerned even after my mother told me about the horrible reviews on this site! The hallways smelt bad but I tried to ignore it. The view was disgusting it was a beautiful sunny day and it looked like it was storming. all you could see was other rooms and broken bottles on the ground...
I still continued to tell my friend it wasn't that bad ha! The next night we went to a smoking room BAD IDEA!!!! I walked into the room jumped on the bed and found a tiny piece of glass on the pillow, I was disgusted but decided to shrug it off.. The next morning my friend discovered another, bigger piece of glass and a moldy empty beer bottle under her bed!!!! YUCK!!! then we confronted the manager and the cleaners they just offered us free breakfast!! AND WORST OF ALL I GOT BED BUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I repeat Im not a picky person this was HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and if your like me and decided to check it out for yourself please do not get a smoking room

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
17  Thank 92countrygirl
Inter1, Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2011

Dear 92Country Girl,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences during your stay at The Marlborough Hotel. We sincerely apologize for the difficulties you encountered.
We would like to address a few of your complaints about your room.
At the Marlborough while our rooms are somewhat dated in terms of décor, we take pride in providing clean and comfortable accommodation.
We can assure you that the Marlborough Hotel is a clean and absolutely pest free property and our housekeeping department have been repeatedly recognized for their excellent work. In this case the cleaning from the previous guest was not completely done and our housekeeping department failed to do a proper job, we apologize for this.
You have also mentioned in your review that after confronting a manager and a cleaner, you were offered a free breakfast. Our hotel has a Bed & Breakfast program incentive where breakfast is always included with your stay.
Unfortunately we have no record of your complaint during your visit with us. I assure you we take all concerns seriously and if there is anything more we can do, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Thank you again for sharing your experiences.

Reviewed December 16, 2010

Once we got there we parked in a unsafe parking garage where we were sure our car would be broken into. Upon seeing the hotel there was security outside who did not seem to be doing there jobs at all making us with a baby feel even unsafer, and there were many "shady" people just wandering around the hotel. The lobby is nice but that is it, the room had cigarette burns in the sheets and the bathrooms were disgusting. Needless to say we checked out immediatly and stayed at the Comfort Inn South.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank eastcoasttrip
Inter1, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2010

Dear Guest from Montreal,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences during your recent visit. We sincerely apologize for the problems you encountered during your stay. Thank you very much as well for your very kind comments about our staff, our historic cafe and the lobby gift shop.

Although your review indicates you were on our 5th floor, your comments and our records lead us to believe you may have been a guest on our 7th floor. This floor is reserved for the convenience of our guests who choose to smoke in their rooms. When the rooms on that floor are occupied, there can be a smoky odor in the corridor. It is also the floor most often allocated to pet owners. All other guestroom floors are non-smoking. On occasion, burn damage does occur from smoking on the 7th floor. In this case, it is obvious the bedding had been damaged by a previous guest and our housekeeping department failed to replace the damaged items. Your sink also appears to have a plugged drain, which should have resulted in the room being placed out of order. We sincerely regret these errors. If you had raised these issues with our front desk, we should have immediately remedied the situation by correcting the problems or relocating you to another guestroom.

With regard to water quality, the city of Winnipeg municipal water supply is acknowledged to be among the finest in the world. The water from our taps can be discolored on occasion due to the age of the galvanized pipes in the hotel. Running the water will clear any discoloration, which occurs only infrequently. Once again, a concern expressed by you should have resulted in a satisfactory response from us.

With regard to the noise on your floor, we sincerely apologize for the failure of our night security to maintain a quiet environment. We will be reviewing procedures with our security staff to ensure our policy is enforced. Loud noise from guestrooms or corridors is not permitted after 11:00PM.

We have no explanation for your complaint of a squeaking sound in the room. We can assure you The Marlborough is clean and absolutely pest free. Our housekeeping department has been commended for their excellent work on numerous occasions. Once again, raising the issue should have resulted in immediate action to fully alleviate your concerns.

We have received many positive comments about our complimentary breakfast choices. We do serve real bagels and our Danishes are normally fresh. Any concern expressed about any items served should have been immediately resolved by your server. We sincerely apologize for any problems with any items served.

Unfortunately, we have no record of a comment from you during your visit with us. If you did mention these concerns to us, we sincerely apologize for not resolving them in a fully satisfactory manner.

Thank you again for sharing your concerns. Once again, we sincerely regret your displeasure with your stay. If there is anything further we can do to resolve matters, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed November 23, 2010

The room was dated. That's no big deal. But here IS the big deal:

- At night, the entire 5th floor smelled like weed.
- EVERY night, between the hours of 1:30 am - 3:30 am, I was disrupted from sleep by excessively loud partying noises (e.g. screaming, shouting, laughing, running) by groups of people that occupied the hotel on mt floor.
- The hotel is pet friendly -which means that if dogs bark in the middle of the night, the hotel cannot do anything about it.
- All of the bedsheets had holes and cigarette burns on them. Some of the bedding also had black dotted stains. And when on the bed, I was itchy from head to toe. I checked the mattresses: there were no stains on them.
- There were several stains on the carpet, various colours.
- Rusted water ran from the sink and bath tub faucets. No matter how much I let the water run, it would not clear up. I wanted to escape from this hotel, but I couldn't because the location was key for my conference. I had to wash my face and brush my teeth with spring water. Also, the water in the sink never went down.
- I went to bed feeling very itchy at night and in the morning. The only itch-free place was the shower.
- I had severe doubts about the hygiene of this place. As a result, I slept with all of the lights on. Especially in light of this: when the heater was turned on, a squeaking and ruffling noise began -not the furnace kind, but the rodent kind. I had to put my shoes on the chair in fear that something might make its home in my shoe. The squeaking moved from the heater, to under the bed, to behind the TV stand. Clearly this was not my imagination scurrying about. These noises also disrupted my sleep.
- The complimentary breakfast was poor. The "bagels" were fresh, but they weren't bagels. If they aren't something, don't label it something else. The danishes were served partially refridgerated and soggy.

This hotel could do so much better. Why doesn't Winnipeg's Commerce Board help out this hotel in terms of cleanliness, food quality and management and interior design?

I found the staff to be very nice. They were the true gems. The items in their gift shop is absolutely beautiful. And I loved the look of their breakfast room -- the lights, the ceiling, the windows.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
6  Thank wotnots
Reviewed November 2, 2010

My partner came in to visit from Saskatchewan, and I booked at the Marlborough because it was cheap, and it was in the heart of downtown. The location WOULD be ideal if we weren't constantly being bombarded by poor souls who have lost their way in life,. I would think it would be securities job to keep the customers and their property safe.

The first night of our stay, we asked where we should park, and we were told the parking complex directly beside the hotel. The next morning, we went to our car to see glass everywhere. Someone had smashed the window. Now, I know this isn't the hotel's fault, but we were later told that anywhere between 2-18 cars are broken into A WEEK. Why wouldn't you warn your paying customers of the high rate of thievery and vandalism?

They provided my boyfriend with a BROOM. And after much negotiating gave us a free meal.

Also, when we entered our room, I gagged. The smell was pretty bad, lights were flickering at a seizure-inducing rate, and the bathroom looked less than clean. Again, we asked for a new room and thankfully a nice lady at the desk gave up a new room (which was actually much bigger then the first one.) The only issue with the new room was that there was a piece of sharp metal (?) sticking out of the bathtub drain.

I was very dissapointed in the lack of pride that the hotel seems to have, all I would ask for is some higher security, clean and SAFE hotel rooms.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank RetroDress
Reviewed October 8, 2010

The Marlborough is not for everybody, so be sure to know what you're getting into. Other reviews here recommend to stay clear from this hotel, but if you're low-budget and do not mind putting up with some stuff, the Marlborough is pretty decent.

Our room was spacious (two double beds) although it hasn't been renovated since the 80s. The bathroom was cozy, but the tub was chipped and the water from the sink faucet came out brown at times. My partner drank from that tap and didn't feel sick, so it must be safe, but these are things you need to be aware.

The hotel is pretty quiet, although the walls are a bit on the thin side, so if you have very loud neighbours, you might hear them. The most annoying thing for us was the pipe humming and somebody above us was using the water. It last for a couple of seconds (and never happened at night), but that's the kind of stuff you get for the cheapest rooms in town.

There is a pool (not for swimming - too shallow and in a shape) and a waterslide that is great for the kids. They also have a very good hottub that I especially enjoyed.

Some reviews here have talked about the rude staff, but nothing happened to us. They were friendly and helpful.

The highlight of the Marlborough is it breakfast that is included in the price. It is a limited menu, but even vegetarians will find some fruit plate. We had the eggs and bacon and it was delicious. Beware: it's a busy spot and service might be a bit longer than it should.

As for Internet, the hotel is WiFi and it's free! This is a great bonus!

So all in all, it is a decent hotel if you're looking for something cheap and are not bothered by chipping tubs and a little bit of noise. The most important thing for us is the cleanliness and good night sleep, and that's what we got. However, if I were going back to Winnipeg, I would probably look into other options. But sometimes, when you travel on a budget, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple