“Good place for a night stay”

Ranked #55 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
“Good place for a night stay”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Staff was very good. We asked for a suite and for privacy just because our room was going to be loud. They put us on a floor that was booked for people attending a wedding which was perfect. Staff reached all of our needs we asked for! The bed was comfy and the pool is nice and simple with a fun waterslide. I expected breakfast to be a buffet so we were a little confused at first, but our meals were good. However everything about this hotel is very old.. and expect to be around a lot of drunk people. Not the safest environment. Those were my only concerns about the place.

• Stayed August 2013
Chris D, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Winnipegg,

Thank you for your comments on your stay. I am glad you enjoyed the pool and found our pillow top mattresses comfortable. Please feel free to ask for assistance from our 24 hour security to make you feel more secure.

The Marlborough Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband and I had our wedding at the Marlborough. We were extremely satisfied with the service. I was honestly a little nervous about getting a room after reading the reviews but it was no where close to what people were saying. The room was very clean. We got a complimentary breakfast with our stay. The breakfast had many choices to choose from (bacon and eggs, eggs Benedict, French toast). The staff went above and beyond. I would definitely recommend the Marlborough hotel to anyone. The architecture is absolutely amazing!

-extremely satisfied guests

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Mommy23boyz,

Thank you for not only staying with us but letting us cater your wedding! It is certainly nice to read your comments on both the room and your event. Thank you for your recommendations.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We booked the hotel through booking.com, mainly for its price and location in downtown Winnipeg. At first sight it didn't seem like we would enjoy the experience: building seemed old and somewhat downtrodden and, as firmly middle-class folk we didn't seem to fit in with the crowd of other guests on display. We had booked a double room and the manager offered to upgrade us to a suite, which we declined in favour of having two beds rather than a bed and a pullout couch. After seeing the original room and hearing the noise in the hallway around 8 pm, we reconsidered the manager's offer (he called us repeating it). We were happy with the room we got. Unlike the double room the suite was clean, tastefully decorated and large. There were two pullout beds, one of which was rather comfortable. The room was also in a quiet, keyed wing of the hotel and our rest was undisturbed that night. On the basis of our stay in the suite I would say that it was a good stay overall. A hot, made to order breakfast was included, which we didn't expect so it was a nice touch though it was plain.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear lkjhhh,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your experience on you visit to The Marlborough Hotel. I am glad that we could find a room that met your needs for your stay. It is good to hear that our staff took the time to make sure you were happy with your accommodations.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 18, 2013

we booked this hotel not expecting anything fancy, it was just a 10 hour pitstop on our roadtrip (and for 8 of those hours we would most assuredly be comatose). so we were pleasantly surprised to find the woman at the front desk a complete angel; after seeing our road weary demeanor she immediately offered to upgrade our room to the business class! for me this is something that only happens in the movies, being two 20 year olds we dont exactly look like the type that spends enough to warrant an upgrade (and after 12 hours in a car together the 2 room suite they upgraded us too was MOST welcome)
10 blissful hours later we arrived at the continental breakfast, which is not the buffet one would expect, there is a menu with quite a variety of options! our meals came out incredibly fast and whats more - they were delicious, which is something i dont necessarily expect from a continental.
the location of the hotel is not exactly desirable but its a short walk from the trendy downtown, and there are security guards everywhere (not really necessary but i found them comforting).

the only real complaint i have is that the coffee at breakfast was a little overpriced, but the actual meal was free and good.
parking is just around the corner and only $10 a day

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Chris D, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Kate I,

Thank you for choosing The Marlborough Hotel for your pit-stop – we are certainly glad that we could make that portion of your road trip comfortable and enjoyable. I am glad that our guest service agent was able to make your stay more comfortable. You did mention that there was a cost to the coffee – we are currently reviewing this and look for a change shortly.

Thanks again for your comments,

WEST FARGO
Reviewed July 2, 2013

It all started before we even got there! Starting with the hotel Manager Chris taking the time to answer all my questions and concerns. Polite, respectful, and honest. The property is aged, but that is part of the deal--it was clean and organized, and what we expected. The location was perfect for us, and the Joanna's restaurant was reasonable priced and food was good. My family and I did not have any problems with our stay. We knew it was an older building--but it had charm. But most of all--every single staff member treated us very well--above and beyond in my opinion. And with the hotel being in downtown, my concern for safety was handled to my satisfaction. There was security on the premises that dealt with all that came their way--inside the building and outside on the sidewalk. The panhandlers and other individuals that did not have a reason to be in the building were quickly escorted out and moved along. We felt safe, and that things were dealt with firmly and in a timely manner. The area is a bit rundown, but this is not the fault of The Marlborough--they do a nice job with what they have--and I felt they had a lot to offer. We will be back, and I know they will welcome us back warmly--Top Notch Staff. Thank you!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Disappoint4
Dear Dissapint4,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your visit to Winnipeg and your stay at The Marlborough Hotel. We certainly do strive to provide great customer service in a value priced location.

We look forward to your next visit!

Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed June 26, 2013

There is little to add to the other reviews but to summarize that the staff is wonderful and the rest of the place is as attractive as a third-world hovel. This place is a complete and utter embarrassment to the city of Winnipeg as it is barely up to flophouse category. This is not a "budget" hotel as I only paid about $10/night less than far preferable properties a couple of blocks away. Get ready to be accosted by all sorts of bums and punks aggressively asking for change and slagging you when they don't get it. This hotel gets a Poor rather than Terrible rating from me only because the staff is almost incredibly friendly (considering the horrid hotel they have to work in) and that even after thorough examination there were none of those persistent evil insects hiding in the crevasses of the bed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank metaungulate

Travelers are raving about these Winnipeg hotels

Regina
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I took a trip to Winnipeg this weekend with some friends and even after reading the reviews on this site, I decided to book two rooms at the Marlborough because of its location and other nearby hotels with higher ratings being booked. Parking was convenient, with a parkade right across the street, and the lobby seemed nice when we were checking in. First impressions were good aside from the shady characters hanging around on the sidewalk out front, who have been mentioned by many other reviewers. We entered the elevator, which was rundown and didn't seem well-maintained. We got off on our floor and noticed that the carpet was very stained and threadbare in places. We went to our room and were not pleased with what we found. The room was a dump. Everything was old, the walls were cracked and chipped throughout the room, the air conditioner was ancient and barely worked and when it did it emitted a foul odor, this was made worse by the fact that the window did not open, the carpet was worn and stained, the toilet looked like something out of an RV from the 70s, the fire sprinkler was coated in years of grime and looked like it probably didn't work, there were splatters on the wall which could have been removed with a once over with a damp rag which shows how serious housekeeping is about their job at this establishment, and the dead bolt seemed as though it was broken after the door was kicked in and was never repaired. I encountered several hostile occupants of the hotel, as did my friends. On my second trip to the elevator, this time by myself, a thug called me "fancy man" and began trying to start a fight with me. I diffused the situation but pretty much every time my friends and I saw people in the hallways, they made rude comments or glared at us threateningly. There was loud music playing until 2AM and loud partying until later than that. We slept on top of the sheets in our clothes and were legitimately concerned that we were not safe in our room. The complimentary breakfast was mediocre with drinks coming with an extra charge, although the servers were nice. I never even bothered to bring any of this to the attention of the staff because we knew that the only solution was going to a different hotel and we knew all others in the area were booked solid. This hotel came across as more of a flophouse for the local criminal element than a place for a weary traveler to get a night's rest. I thought the reviews for this hotel had to be exaggerated, but they were spot on. I would rather sleep in my car than ever step foot in this hotel again. BEWARE!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms to be found, stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Power_Mullet
Chris D, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Power Mullet,
I would like to take the time to respond to your comments as you made the effort to post your views and opinions of the hotel. We appreciate all of our guests comments – positive or negative – as everyone has the right to their opinion. I apologize if you did not feel comfortable staying in the hotel and you mention that you did not bother to bring your concerns to the staff or management of the hotel as you knew there was no solution other than a different hotel which were all booked solid – including ours. I can assure you that we would have made every effort to correct the issues that you bring forward – if we were able to. From having maintenance address any of your concerns regarding the dead bolt, in-house security assisting with any guests that may have been disrupting your stay to housekeeping cleaning your room from top to bottom to your satisfaction. if we are unable to correct those problems we would certainly assist in finding a suitable alternative for you.