“good place to stay”

Ranked #54 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
kipling sask
“good place to stay”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I have read many reviews about this hotel and was going to pass it up,but the price and location was too good to pass up.When I arrived the desk clerk was very friendly and helpful with parking since it was -28 and I wanted to plug my truck in.There is a private lot less than a block away and for $15.00 you can park for 24 hrs.The hotel itself is in very nice shape for it's age.My room was tastefully decorated and very clean.I wish my bed at home was as comfy as the one I slept in.The location is perfect if going to the MTS or Burton cummings theatre,the mall is also close by.It is a downtown location and there are people who will want to bum smokes and or money,but I found that same problem in the upper class hotels that cost much more...downtown is downtown...If your used to 5 star with all goodies then stay at a 5 star with all the goodies...If your on a budget with a short stay then give this place a try,well worth it.Every staff I encountered greeted me with a hello and a smile...made my day.Keep up the good work my friends...

Room Tip: No tip,I just got lucky
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank budguy1059
Chris D, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Budguy1059,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on your stay at The Marlborough Hotel. I am also glad that you did not pass up an opportunity to stay at our hotel – despite some negative comments that you may have read. I hope that others will follow your lead and see for themselves. Your comments eloquently described what we are trying to achieve – a great value, a great location with great service in downtown Winnipeg.

We certainly look forward to your next visit!

The Marlborough Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Brandon, Canada
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We chose this hotel as it is located across the street from the Burton Cummings Theatre, where we were attending a concert. The website implies it is old world charm. WOW! Nothing could be further from the truth.

At check-in, we had to fight with the staff to receive the rate we were quoted on-line, and in hind site, we should have simply left and found another place, as the clientele in the lobby was making us nervous. We were late for the concert, so we stayed, and we greated by the sweet, non-mistakable smell of pot in the one working elevator. Nice.

The treck to our "business class" rooms was an adventure and the lock down in the hallways was both concerning and reassuring at the same time. Strange, I know.

The rooms. What can I say about the rooms. Our friends and us had adjoining rooms, which ajoined in the bedrooms, which was creepy to say the least. We compared rooms to learn neither had all the appropriate furniture (they were missing a coffee table, we were missing an easy chair, you get the picture), but what was there was ripped, stained, and our friends room stunk of urine. The electrohome box television was a nice touch, particularly with the green hue that glowed from the edges of the screen. All electronics were plugged into indoor/outdoor extension cords that ran the length of the room. Classy.

Lovely brown water came out of the tap and shower, and when we called the front desk, they nonchalantly told us to "run it for a while, it's fine". How disgusting! We drank pop rather than water, even in the middle of the night. We both had cracked windows, which howled with the winter wind all night. The kids risked disease to go to the pool, which did not supply towels, has a manual button waterslide, and a "hot" tub - which was not even warm and that was fine, since disease only multiplies in hot environments.

There was no way we were risking the "complimentary" breakfast. I felt like handing out our vouchers to the numerous citizens camped out in the front of the hotel asking for money. We are were seriously considering printing ourselves "I survived the Marlborough Hotel" t-shirts.
Nevermind cleanliness, price, or convenience, if you value your life, STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE.

And, please management, don't bother responding and thanking me for my feedback, and offering your defense for your establishment. You know as well as I do that this place is not appropriate enough for homeless street dogs.

Room Tip: Don't stay here at all. I can't imagine what it is like on floors that are not "busines...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank c l
Chris D, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear c. l

As you have had an opportunity to post your comments regarding your stay at The Marlborough Hotel I feel obligated to respond – despite your request that I do not. The Marlborough Hotel services thousands of guests over thousands of room nights every year. Our complimentary breakfast is one of the highlights for many of our guests as there are not many hotels that offer a full selection of hot breakfasts.

We also try to do our part and be eco friendly by having a waterslide on a timer so as to prevent a constant flow of water when not in use. Our hot tub also runs on a timer. As well we do supply pool towels located at the front desk of the hotel. They are available upon request. I can assure you that the pool and hot tub water are tested and treated on a daily basis.

Any concerns that our guests bring forward regarding issues with panhandlers or non hotel guests are dealt with in a timely manner – either through our in house security or our management staff.

Some of your comments do have merit and my staff is diligent when a guest brings a problem to their attention to correct the problem in a timely manner or, in the event that it can’t be corrected, an alternative is found. On some instances it may be that we cannot accommodate a guests needs.

Some of your comments I certainly do not agree with, but they are your comments and opinions and you are free to make them – as I am free to respond.

The Marlborough Hotel

P.S – I am sure homeless dogs would love it here – we are a pet friendly property!

Travelers are raving about these Winnipeg hotels

Churchill, Canada
Reviewed January 10, 2013

The hotel has really nice staff, very helpful. The complimentary breakfast was ok, unfortunately not enough food to be satisfied for a morning meal. The rooms and bathroom were not clean, but clean enough to not run away immediately. Location is very good, close to downtown, the train station en bus stops.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Wilma128
Chris D, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Wilma128,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on your stay at our hotel. I am glad that the staff were helpful while you were here. I do apologize that you feel you did not receive enough at breakfast as we do offer a selection of hot items not just your standard continental breakfast.

I do apologize if the room was not up to your standards of cleanliness and we would have been happy to either come and re clean the room or move you to another room.

Thanks again for staying at The Marlborough Hotel.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The staff was nice and helpful, but the area and condition of the rooms were not very nice. We had problems coming into the hotel late at night due to them checking names for security and them not putting our names on the list. This was extremely annoying after a night out in the downtown area. The room was extremely small with a bathroom that had peeling paint and with a wall that appeared to have human snot on it. The ice machines are located in corners that do not allow the person to see on either side of him, and this made me feel rather unsafe. On a more positive note, the staff is extremely nice and helpful and do a great job, but it seems as though they do not have much to work with. In the future, I will stay someplace else in downtown Winnipeg.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank 936Traveler
Chris D, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear 936Traveler,

Thank you for the kind comments regarding the staff at The Marlborough Hotel. I am sorry that the hotel itself did not achieve the same level of satisfaction. I have noted the concern regarding the location and your feeling unsafe at our ice machines – while I can’t move them we will certainly look at making sure that the area is well lit to ensure our other guests do feel safe while getting ice. To correct the room issues our housekeeping and maintenance staff will be sure to check our rooms for the concerns you made to correct them immediately. The title of your review is overpriced and unsafe and I can assure you that we are very value priced for the downtown area and our security and hotel staff try to provide a safe environment for all our guests – therefore we do verify our hotel guests in the later evenings to make sure that everyone has a comfortable stay – I do apologize if guests were not listed – this is easily corrected at the front desk.

Thanks again for your comments and I hope you change your mind and try us again,

Mobridge, South Dakota
Reviewed January 5, 2013

On a business trip, my son and I spent the night here. We picked the place mostly because my son had stayed there several times while attending collage in North Dakota 15 years ago.
The Marlborough was built about 1914 and was once a grand hotel. They didn't need parking back then, so there is no onsite parking. A block away, we paid $15 for open, overnight parking.
The place seemed filled with foreigners, but our night was fine. Our room was clean and quiet. We did notice pealing paint and the shower head had a side leak.
The continental breakfast was served at the hotel restaurant. There were a half dozen choices and the food was average. I had Eggs Benedict and my son had eggs and ham.The food was free with a room ticket, but 2 coffees cost $5.00 with one refill.
This was my first time in Winnipeg which seems to be a thriving metropolis. Winter driving can be difficult and there aren't any freeways. Just lots of stop lights.

Room Tip: Parking is an issue
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear rrfrey,

I am glad that your nights stay met your needs on your trip and thanks for the comments regarding the deficiencies with your room – we will certainly investigate and correct the leak and peeling paint. Our hotel is near a number of parking lots all within the same price range but we do recommend the surface parking on the corner as it allows you to pay one price and come and go as you please.
We hope to see you again if you visit Winnipeg again.
Thanks again for taking the time to comment,

Folkestone, England
Reviewed December 21, 2012

A well maintained older hotel with a lot of character. The room was comfortable and quiet. Breakfast was great! The staff were polite and pleasant. Makes a good base for a short stay if you want to remain in the downtown area and don't need a car. Ideal for shops, museums and the Via Rail station.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Numismatist
Chris D, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear Mumismatist,
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at The Marlborough. Our location in downtown does make it a convenient and comfortable location when in town on business or leisure. We certainly look forward to seeing you in the future.

Boise, Idaho
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I have to admit I have never stayed at this hotel, although I hope to do so in the future. But I have spent time looking over the lobby, the bar, etc. These areas of the 100-year old hotel are beautifully restored while maintaining the old look.

Several weeks ago I contacted the hotel asking if there are any items which can be purchased that contain the name of the hotel. I wanted to obtain some item (e.g., drinking glass that has the name of the hotel on it) to send to my mother-in-law in Fargo, ND who used to go up to the hotel as a young girl when she had a little bit of vacation. Not only did Chris arrange for me to obtain a few hotel items, but he boxed them up and I was able to arrange for the local UPS store to pick up and ship to North Dakota. I needed to be in Winnipeg several weeks later and wanted to see the hotel for myself. While there, both managers Susan and Abdullah very graciously took time to show me around. I appreciate their kindness and I will be sure to let everyone at the hotel know how my mother-in-law likes her Marlborough memories. Thanks, everyone!

I was happy to see that there is a parking garage across the street and this would be relevant if I every have a chance to stay the night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank NMR3837
Dear NMR3837,

I am glad that we could help with your request and that you got to see the hotel that has so many fond memories for your mother-in-law.

Best wishes in the New Year,