“I really appreciated the managers' help”

Ranked #55 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Boise, Idaho
“I really appreciated the managers' help”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I have to admit I have never stayed at this hotel, although I hope to do so in the future. But I have spent time looking over the lobby, the bar, etc. These areas of the 100-year old hotel are beautifully restored while maintaining the old look.

Several weeks ago I contacted the hotel asking if there are any items which can be purchased that contain the name of the hotel. I wanted to obtain some item (e.g., drinking glass that has the name of the hotel on it) to send to my mother-in-law in Fargo, ND who used to go up to the hotel as a young girl when she had a little bit of vacation. Not only did Chris arrange for me to obtain a few hotel items, but he boxed them up and I was able to arrange for the local UPS store to pick up and ship to North Dakota. I needed to be in Winnipeg several weeks later and wanted to see the hotel for myself. While there, both managers Susan and Abdullah very graciously took time to show me around. I appreciate their kindness and I will be sure to let everyone at the hotel know how my mother-in-law likes her Marlborough memories. Thanks, everyone!

I was happy to see that there is a parking garage across the street and this would be relevant if I every have a chance to stay the night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank NMR3837
Chris D, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear NMR3837,

I am glad that we could help with your request and that you got to see the hotel that has so many fond memories for your mother-in-law.

Best wishes in the New Year,

The Marlborough Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Birmingham UK
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Stayed at this hotel twice in October 2012. The rooms were large for the price and the beds very comfortable. The bathrooms were small and could do with redecorating. I did have an issue regarding my card being pre-authorised even though I'd prepaid my rooms. This took a lot of calls and time to resolve. Although the hotel is well placed by the Forks, Union Station and Downtown it's not the safest city I've visited and can get unwanted people hanging around outside and close by the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank home-sweet-brum
Dear home-sweet-brum,

On behalf of the staff at The Marlborough Hotel thank you for taking the time to submit a review of our hotel. I apologize for the time it took to correct your payment issue – I hope this was resolved to your satisfaction. I appreciate your comments regarding the safety of the downtown area and I will be sure to pass them on. I hope that this does not prevent you from staying with us in the future.

Saskatoon
Reviewed November 28, 2012

My fiance and I booked a night in this hotel because we were traveling to catch a concert. The fact that it was a 3 minute walk from the MTS center where the concert was playing. Another selling feature for us was the complimentary breakfast.

First, and this isn't really the hotel's fault, the traffic getting to the Marlborough was TERRIBLE, it took us over an hour to navigate our way to this hotel. Upon arrival they informed us they do not have their own parking, instead we had to use the pay parking across the street. This was extremely inconvenient.

The lobby and outside of the building are very well maintained, deceptively so. Staff at the front desk did an adequate job.

The room itself was dirty and unkempt. The sink didn't drain, the shower head leaked, and the toilet handle leaked when flushed. The toilet roll holders were unevenly affixed to the wall and they came apart from time to time. The furniture had many scuffs and the air was musty. Although I didn't experience bed bugs. it was a legitimate concern of ours. The bed itself was adequately comfortable, we slept fairly well.

The Reagal Beagle bar was equally dusty and unkempt, also the clientele seemed a bit unsavory and made us uncomfortable (on a Monday night around 11pm), the kitchen closed at 10, which was disappointing for us since we had planned to have a late supper after our concert ended.

The complimentary breakfast was alright. They make you pay for your own drinks, and overcharge (almost $8 for two coffees and a soda). The food was acceptable, but just barely, standard breakfast fare with eggs slightly too runny and a undercooked hash-brown among the rest. No preserves for toast were offered. Staff liked to 'duck' you once you had ordered, I didn't get a chance to ask for any preserves, so I don't know if there are any available.

Overall, I wouldn't stay there again. It just seemed dirty and unkempt.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ellnai
Chris D, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Ellnai,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on your recent stay at The Marlborough. We do take all comments made to heart and make every effort to correct them for our next guest. Although I can’t do much about downtown Winnipeg traffic on a concert night, we will make every effort to correct the deficiencies that you pointed out. Your comments have in fact been addressed with all the hotel departments as a learning tool to make sure that our guests are looked after during their stay with us.

We do wish you would reconsider staying at our hotel in the future.

The Marlborough Hotel

Travelers are raving about these Winnipeg hotels

Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Great price, good breakfast. Rooms were clean, but outdated (not in the classic style I expected) Good lobby, poor front des staff. Parking not as well monitored as we like. We went here twice as a couple, before we started our family. Was okay for our purposes in downton Winnipeg, however not a place we woul dbring out kids. Just didn't feel quite safe enough for the kids to be walking around, some shady characters smelling of alcohol on both of our visits. All in all, okay, served our purpose but won't be back with our kids.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank the_k_family_canada
Dear guest,

I am glad that you enjoyed our complimentary hot breakfast and our great room value. I did notice that your stay date was back in December of 2011 and I hope that you would consider giving the hotel a chance with your kids – we do have the only downtown water slide! As well efforts are being made to improve the over all perception of downtown Winnipeg.

Thanks again for your comments,

Chris Dubberely
San Diego, California
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is by far the worst hotel I have ever been in! I was in Winnipeg on business and had to stay at this hell hole for 3 days. Historic hotels, when done right can be charming and full of character. I have stayed at many in many different cities. But the Marlborough is not kept up, is dirty, dingy, falling apart and full of general unpleasantness. There are drunks and stoners walking around in the hotel. I wouldn't even take the elevator unless I was alone due to general fear of the people hanging around. All 3 nights I went out for dinner and then came back and bolted the door of my room.

The room was sort of clean (clean sheets and towels) but the general appearance was disrepair and dirt and not to mention straight out of the 70s. And don't get me started about the worst bath "towels" ever! They don't even absorb water. They're more like rags. Spend a little money on some decent towels for your guests.

Then, when I checked out, the front desk agent asked me how my stay was. When I proceeded to tell him how gross the hotel was and how unhappy I was with my stay, he didn't say a word. Instead, he just proceeded to finish checking me out of the room. How's that for customer service!?

This place needs to be gutted and completely redone... not that I would ever stay there again.

Note for Mr. Dubberley: I have read the other reviews and noted that in all of them your answer is that you strive to take care of things when you hear about them. None of these things are things you can take care of at the time. You need to consider what people are saying and invest in your establishment. Unless you have a more productive solution to the repetative problems (dirty, disgusting, old, etc.) then don't bother to comment. I know I'll never stay there again and I will be in Winnipeg at least 4 times per year, if not more.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Allison D
Dear Allison D,

I sincerely want to apologize for your experience on your last stay. The last thing that we wish is for such a negative experience to happen to any of our guests. As well I am sorry that we failed to respond to your comments upon check out – this is not the way we want our guests to leave the hotel. Your comments have certainly pointed out some areas that we need to correct, from ensuring that our rooms and products in them are up to our guests standards as well as how our staff should be dealing with issues prior to guests exiting the hotel.

Again thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed on the 6th floor in one of the corner executive suites. The bed was very comfortable, the TV nice, and we had an interesting view of the downtown (Exchange District and Portage & Main). The bathroom felt old fashioned and small, but it was perfectly fine for us. This hotel is within walking distance to the tourist attractions in central Winnipeg (e.g The Forks). Parking is not free. You need to find a local carpark, and there are many of them around. There is a pub on the bottom floor of the hotel. When I visited in the evening, it was quite empty, with a few people playing on the gambling machines, but the barmaid was chatty and friendly, and they had good beer. And don't miss the breakfast room, unexpectedly grandiose with a high ceiling, which bespeaks the faded glamor of a bygone era... The breakfast room must have been very classy in 1914 when this hotel was opened. Nowadays the breakfast is pretty ordinary and the waitress looks bored, but it was fun to look at the antiquated opulence and think about Winnipeg's olden days. :-) Some reviewers say that this hotel has a slightly rough edge, but it felt completely safe to me... If you want a hotel with a lot of local character, this is a good option for downtown Winnipeg.

Room Tip: The superior and executive rooms are nice.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank yrussell
Inter1, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear yrussell,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at The Marlborough Hotel. I am glad that you had a comfortable visit and that we met you hotel needs while visiting Winnipeg. I am sorry that you felt the complimentary hot breakfast was just ordinary as we do pride ourselves on offering a number of choices and a great breakfast, but I am glad you appreciated the surroundings.

We look forward to being your hotel of choice on your next visit.

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Hey there we stayed at the Marlborough Hotel for a week. Our first impression of the lobby and outside facade were amazing and very very vintage. We have a dog the the first thing that they did was make sure our dog was ok and that the room we were in sufficed to all our needs. The staff was absolutly well trained and amazing and what little shortcomings there were in the hotel were made more for by the supieror service and knowledge of the area.
There were many staff in this hotel that deserve accolades but the ones that turned up for us were Bill, Lana, John well the entire front desk staff there was not a bad one among the group they all had smiles on there face.
When the computer glitched and upped our rate John spent the time and made sure we were ok and well taken care of. Lanas care of our dog was irreplacable. Bill was a wonderful night auditor that always has safety and his guests happiness in his mind first.
Grace and the front desk managment Nabil made our stay and will always stay in our minds.
We have since decided this hotel will be our wedding venue and Grace took time out of her busy scheduele to give us a wonderful tour of the hotel and having talked to many venue planners over the time we have been engaged she definetly rates amongst the best if not the best.
Nabil always made sure we laughed and were taken care of understanding what a hotel needs to run is obviasly a specialty of his and once again stands out.
The amazing vintage and antique in the hotel is in the same class as the Fort Garry or Royal York in Toronto. Definetly recomend this hotel to anyone that wants to visit Winnipeg for a stay or a night. Take this from a seasoned hotel travellor 5 star service unmatched so far in our travels.

Jesse A.

Room Tip: your definelty want to stay on the fourth floor
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Jesse A,

Thank you for your kind comments, and I am glad that so many staff had a positive impact on your visit. I can assure you that we have made every effort to commend them on their guest service to you. We are a pet friendly hotel and try to make sure we look after all our guests – even our four legged friends!

Thanks again for your comments,