“Nasty and Disgusting - Not fit for habitation!”

Ranked #56 of 64 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is by far the worst hotel I have ever been in! I was in Winnipeg on business and had to stay at this hell hole for 3 days. Historic hotels, when done right can be charming and full of character. I have stayed at many in many different cities. But the Marlborough is not kept up, is dirty, dingy, falling apart and full of general unpleasantness. There are drunks and stoners walking around in the hotel. I wouldn't even take the elevator unless I was alone due to general fear of the people hanging around. All 3 nights I went out for dinner and then came back and bolted the door of my room.

The room was sort of clean (clean sheets and towels) but the general appearance was disrepair and dirt and not to mention straight out of the 70s. And don't get me started about the worst bath "towels" ever! They don't even absorb water. They're more like rags. Spend a little money on some decent towels for your guests.

Then, when I checked out, the front desk agent asked me how my stay was. When I proceeded to tell him how gross the hotel was and how unhappy I was with my stay, he didn't say a word. Instead, he just proceeded to finish checking me out of the room. How's that for customer service!?

This place needs to be gutted and completely redone... not that I would ever stay there again.

Note for Mr. Dubberley: I have read the other reviews and noted that in all of them your answer is that you strive to take care of things when you hear about them. None of these things are things you can take care of at the time. You need to consider what people are saying and invest in your establishment. Unless you have a more productive solution to the repetative problems (dirty, disgusting, old, etc.) then don't bother to comment. I know I'll never stay there again and I will be in Winnipeg at least 4 times per year, if not more.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Allison D
Chris D, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Dear Allison D,

I sincerely want to apologize for your experience on your last stay. The last thing that we wish is for such a negative experience to happen to any of our guests. As well I am sorry that we failed to respond to your comments upon check out – this is not the way we want our guests to leave the hotel. Your comments have certainly pointed out some areas that we need to correct, from ensuring that our rooms and products in them are up to our guests standards as well as how our staff should be dealing with issues prior to guests exiting the hotel.

Again thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments,

There are newer reviews for The Marlborough Hotel

Reviewed November 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed on the 6th floor in one of the corner executive suites. The bed was very comfortable, the TV nice, and we had an interesting view of the downtown (Exchange District and Portage & Main). The bathroom felt old fashioned and small, but it was perfectly fine for us. This hotel is within walking distance to the tourist attractions in central Winnipeg (e.g The Forks). Parking is not free. You need to find a local carpark, and there are many of them around. There is a pub on the bottom floor of the hotel. When I visited in the evening, it was quite empty, with a few people playing on the gambling machines, but the barmaid was chatty and friendly, and they had good beer. And don't miss the breakfast room, unexpectedly grandiose with a high ceiling, which bespeaks the faded glamor of a bygone era... The breakfast room must have been very classy in 1914 when this hotel was opened. Nowadays the breakfast is pretty ordinary and the waitress looks bored, but it was fun to look at the antiquated opulence and think about Winnipeg's olden days. :-) Some reviewers say that this hotel has a slightly rough edge, but it felt completely safe to me... If you want a hotel with a lot of local character, this is a good option for downtown Winnipeg.

Room Tip: The superior and executive rooms are nice.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank yrussell
Inter1, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dear yrussell,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at The Marlborough Hotel. I am glad that you had a comfortable visit and that we met you hotel needs while visiting Winnipeg. I am sorry that you felt the complimentary hot breakfast was just ordinary as we do pride ourselves on offering a number of choices and a great breakfast, but I am glad you appreciated the surroundings.

We look forward to being your hotel of choice on your next visit.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Hey there we stayed at the Marlborough Hotel for a week. Our first impression of the lobby and outside facade were amazing and very very vintage. We have a dog the the first thing that they did was make sure our dog was ok and that the room we were in sufficed to all our needs. The staff was absolutly well trained and amazing and what little shortcomings there were in the hotel were made more for by the supieror service and knowledge of the area.
There were many staff in this hotel that deserve accolades but the ones that turned up for us were Bill, Lana, John well the entire front desk staff there was not a bad one among the group they all had smiles on there face.
When the computer glitched and upped our rate John spent the time and made sure we were ok and well taken care of. Lanas care of our dog was irreplacable. Bill was a wonderful night auditor that always has safety and his guests happiness in his mind first.
Grace and the front desk managment Nabil made our stay and will always stay in our minds.
We have since decided this hotel will be our wedding venue and Grace took time out of her busy scheduele to give us a wonderful tour of the hotel and having talked to many venue planners over the time we have been engaged she definetly rates amongst the best if not the best.
Nabil always made sure we laughed and were taken care of understanding what a hotel needs to run is obviasly a specialty of his and once again stands out.
The amazing vintage and antique in the hotel is in the same class as the Fort Garry or Royal York in Toronto. Definetly recomend this hotel to anyone that wants to visit Winnipeg for a stay or a night. Take this from a seasoned hotel travellor 5 star service unmatched so far in our travels.

Jesse A.

Room Tip: your definelty want to stay on the fourth floor
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Jesse A,

Thank you for your kind comments, and I am glad that so many staff had a positive impact on your visit. I can assure you that we have made every effort to commend them on their guest service to you. We are a pet friendly hotel and try to make sure we look after all our guests – even our four legged friends!

Thanks again for your comments,

Reviewed October 19, 2012

I agree completely with Clive Macgregor's recent review with same title: older hotel, very good value. Given the rather harsh review by ghostrider (which, I confess, left me a bit worried), I am led to ask the following question: is there a place for hotels like the Marlborough in a market that is largely either older hotels that are very expensive (and luxurious) or newer chain hotels that are often a bit over-priced? The Marlborough is clearly dated and a bit worn out but is clean and safe and, given the reasonable rates, it offers good value. It may not be for the traveler who is used to the near-sterility of more pricey options (and I don't mean that in a judgmental way), but I think hotels like this are a fine, affordable option for the rest of us.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Desmond W
Inter1, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear Desmond W,

I am glad that you took the opportunity to stay at our hotel. We believe that there is definitely a place in the market for value priced accommodations in the downtown area. We hope to cater to more guests who may require an affordable option but are still looking for comfort and some small luxuries.

We look forward to seeing you in the future,

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I booked this hotel quickly when booking a flight to Winnipeg since was offered at a good rate and was a classic (1913 era) hotel. After booking read the TripAdvisor reviews and got a bit worried though some reviewers said it had improved. Quite a pleasant surprise to walk into a nice classic lobby that did not smell like someone died there in 1913. The room I got had been refurbished and though not classic was clean and neat, and everything worked fine. My main reason for giving the hotel a try was the view of the classic dinning room now used for breakfast. It was clean and very 1913 or it might be called Hogwarths lite. Nice full breakfast. All in all a good experience and I would try it again. The only negative is that it is in an area with not much to walk to or any charm.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear CliveMacgregor,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Marlborough Hotel. I am glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and we look forward to seeing you in the future. Look for some new additions to the downtown Winnipeg area in the future that might give you more to do.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

The rooms had been redone and refurnished. Yes, the hotel is old however the room was clean and well done! The breakfast was great and the cost of the room extremely reasonable, which included the breakfast. The staff were friendly and courteous. We would recommend this place to stay if you have a function downtown Winnipeg.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has been redone and also not facing the street. Although it was nice to look out...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FJCruiser07
Inter1, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear FJCuriser07,

Thanks for taking the time to post your review. I'm glad you enjoyed our updated room and complimentary hot breakfast.

I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

This place is an absolute Dump!
Dirty, stinky, shady characters - what a dive!
Our room was beat up, worn out and disgusting. The bathroom was the most disgusting thing I'd ever seen - mold, cracking tiles, countertop hanging off. What a Joke!
I'd NEVER stay here again if they paid me.
This hole in the wall should be shut down and bulldozed!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Ghostrider2112,

I am sorry that you were not happy with your room during your stay. We are constantly working to maintain our rooms to ensure that they meet our and our customer’s standards. We do appreciate feed back from our guests and are happy to look after any issues that come up at the time. Comments or concerns passed on to the staff or management when they occur give us the ability to correct any issues so they don’t happen to our other valued guest. If you decide to try us again please don’t wait to post your comments or concerns – feel free to speak to any of the management team or directly with me.