“Stay away from this place”

Ranked #57 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed August 17, 2012

horrible service, I felt like I was in a hell hole waiting to be attacked by someone at any moment....even heard screams during the night and I locked myself in the bathroom hoping no one would come and attack me! No kidding...this place doesn't deserve to be open!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank multivisao
Inter1, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear Multiviaso,

We have 24 hour security on site as well as 24 hour front desk service. If there were issues regarding your safety, noise concerns or general inquiries we are happy to address them – the staff at The Marlborough takes the safety and security of our guests very seriously.

Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

staff was friendly but not very helpfull. Broken coffemaker in room guest services replaced it with another broken coffeemaker. Breakfast was excelent. Kids had a blast @ the waterslide. Would stay again but get a bigger room. Standard room to small for youngsters but that's not the hotels fault.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank FishhookJack

Dear FishhookJack,

I am sorry that you found our staff friendly but not helpful, and that we did not rectify the problem with your coffee maker in a satisfactory way. All our room amenities should be functional when you arrive and we will make sure to check more diligently.

Glad your kids enjoyed our waterslide and pool area.

Please do request our Superior Room for future visits – you should have the room you need.

I look forward to seeing you again,

Reviewed June 18, 2012

In 20 years of staying in hotels this is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed anywhere in the world! I visited Winnipeg for the first time last week and because I had left it to the last minute to book accommodation I thought I would trust the recommendation of Air Canada and booked via their site which has this hotel listed as a 3 star hotel. I even quickly read some of the reviews for the hotel which seemed like an ok choice and good value for money compared to other 3 star rated hotels like Holiday Inn Express & Best Western. BIG Mistake! My flight arrived into Winnipeg at midnight so I grabbed a cab which dropped me around 12.30 am. My first impressions from the outside was not good, the people loitering outside the entrance to the hotel looked like they were a combination of drug addicts and homeless people and inside the foyer I could see 4 African security guards just hanging around. I stepped inside and immediately I wanted to leave but unfortunately it was too late in the night to find something else and I didn’t feel comfortable about walking back outside.
The lift to my floor was very run down with worn and dirty carpet and very a stale smell. When the lift opened on my floor there was a sitting area with an old torn sofa and empty can of ravioli and crushed crackers on the floor – obviously that was somebodies dinner and they just left the rubbish scattered on the floor. My room was not what you would expect from a 3 star hotel, it was old and grungy looking, dirty walls and a very musty smell. The white linen on the bed was the cleanest thing in the room, however, I didn’t want to lift the bottom sheet looking for bed bugs because I was all but certain they would be there. As expected the bed was uncomfortable and the pillow was old and flat – I couldn’t wait to leave in the morning.
This hotel isn’t worthy of any stars. And when I checked out I didn’t even bother to tell the young guy or girl at reception about how bad the hotel was because neither of them looked like they would understand.
I can only assume that the people that have written nice comments about this hotel are deluded, or live in very dirty and run down homes or are simply not real hotel guests at all – rather the management trying to fool people into believing that this place is so wonderful that you book a room.
Lesson learnt – book ahead and stay with a familiar chain. Everybody I have spoken to since from Winnipeg has confirmed that you would NEVER want to stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Best advise is to stay at another hotel and avoid this one all together.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Michael D
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Dear Michael D,

I am very sorry that The Marlborough Hotel did not meet your expectations on your visit. I can assure you and future hotel guests that we take the security and safety of our guests very seriously. The security is on site to prevent the issues that you experienced on y our visit and this will be brought to their attention so it can be corrected. Security in hotels is a common occurrence to assist hotel guests and staff. You mentioned that the lift to the floor was worn and a dirty carpet – our elevators do not have carpet in them and the cabins have been recently upgraded. I do apologize for the state of the chairs and garbage on the your floor – they have been removed and await replacements – hopefully they will not get vandalized like the last pair. We are currently in the process of refreshing our rooms – our recently finished business class floor is available for guests looking to upgrade. We will be looking at all the beds on your floor to determine replacements – we do value our guests sleep!

I am sorry that you did not take the opportunity to let our front desk agents know of your stay as they would have been more than happy to assist you at anytime – if you are not satisfied with your room we will do our best to make it right. If they can’t help you I or any or our management team will be happy to assist.

Your comments regarding the positive comments made and the statement that they are made by the “management to fool people into believing that this place is son wonderful you book a room” are completely false. Statements made by our guests – both positive and not so positive are valued as we are always trying to improve. Many guests enjoy our hotel and have found reasons to come back again and again.

Please feel free to try us again on your next visit to Winnipeg – I’m sure we can change your mind.

Reviewed June 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Marlborough in mid-June, 2012. The staff at the front desk were friendly and courteous. Check-in was quick and easy. Our room was clean although a bit the worse for wear. In the bathroom the laminate counter-top was separating from the base material and the enamel in the sink was chipped. The room air conditioning was jammed at the full-on position but was barely able to maintain a comfortable room temperature when the weather was moderate. It would have been inadequate during a heat wave. There was a nice hot tub and a pool with a water slide that was open from 10 AM until 10 PM. The complementary full, hot breakfast was excellent. Parking was not included. If you are just going to park the car until you leave, use the lot across the street ($10). If you will be coming and going several times the lot behind the hotel is better ($15 for 24 hrs with in/out).

Fifty years ago the Marlborough was an elegant venue for hosting graduation dances and wedding receptions. It is no longer "the place to stay in downtown Winnipeg." Most of its guests these days are long-term evacuees from communities in northern Manitoba who have been forced from their homes by flooding or forest fires. However, it does provide reasonably-priced accommodation for those who want to stay downtown.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Gerald N

Dear Gerald N,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on your stay at The Marlborough Hotel. I am glad to hear that your check in was quick and easy, and that you were met by our friendly staff! Glad you enjoyed the pool, water slide and hot tub. I agree – the complimentary hot breakfast is excellent – we pride ourselves on offering more than a muffin and coffee.

We are diligently working to correct the issues that you mentioned. You commented that fifty years ago The Marlborough Hotel was an elegant venue for hosting graduation dances and wedding receptions – but it is no longer “the place to stay in downtown Winnipeg” – we are still one of the premier venues for Graduations and Weddings offering the Skyview Ballroom as well as our other unique venues for Grads, Weddings, Conferences etc. As for being the place to stay downtown as you mentioned we do provide reasonably priced accommodations for downtown Winnipeg and we will continue to do so.

I look forward to seeing you again.

Home of the Skyview Ballroom

Reviewed May 24, 2012

People who had a low rating for this hotel need to stop being so picky. For this price you can't expect a 5 star hotel, but it's excellent value for your money. When we stayed, we were in between two concerts (Rammstein and Van Halen) and some business convention. Even though the staff was obviously really busy they were always polite and helpful. Some things were fixed without us asking, and when we had to ask it was taken care of right away.

You can't beat the location - a block from the MTS centre, and all kinds of down town shopping. Everything we wanted was within walking distance.

The free breakfast was good, and our waitor was polite and quick, even though he too, was obviously overly busy.

Yes, outside the hotel is a litte "rough" after dark, but it's downtown Winnipeg. There's a security guard at the door all night

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Angelaleet

Dear Angelaleet,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on your stay at The Marlborough Hotel. I am glad that you found our hotel to be an excellent value – we do hope to provide a comfortable stay as well as an excellent value. I am glad that you found our staff to be polite and helpful and take care of any issues that you had.

One of our stand out features is our complimentary breakfast available to our registered guests – our culinary team has made every effort to provide something for a majority of our guests. Beats Danish and a coffee!

Downtown in any major city can be a bit intimidating and we value our guests safety – we are happy to assist with answering any questions that our guests might have regarding safety in downtown Winnipeg.

I look forward to seeing you again,

Reviewed May 24, 2012

My husband and I went for a conference in May, 2012 and decided to stay at the Marlborough since our last stay was reasonable. The first problem we encountered was the size of the room, we had no place to put our laptop. Then there was the heat during the night, we had to open our door to let in some "air", which was a bad decision because the smell of pot came wafting in (we'd changed rooms from smoking to the non-smoking floor). We attended the conference and returned to find that we had to move, because there were bedbugs in our room. The staff apologized and assured us the other room had been thoroughly inspected, so we reluctantly stayed in the hotel, partly because we had paid the room for the whole week. To make matters worse, I had caught a cold during the trip and poor housekeeping was really annoying (I usually tidy up coming back to the room, but I wasn't feeling up to it). The cleaning lady barely touched the room, even dirty towels weren't changed. The next problem was the smell of sewage on our last few nights, it was horrible, making it difficult to stay in the room. The manager even came to flush the toilet a few times, probably in the hopes that flushing would take care of the smell. She promised us a fan to help with the heat (we never got it). The staff ignored our complaints until the last day, when they moved us, again, to the third? floor which occupied an office. Awful, awful memories! They never took us seriously, probably thinking because we are Natives from up north, we should be able to stay in a poorly maintained room.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank b h
Reviewed February 12, 2012

I stayed here one night for business when most other hotels were booked. I had heard about this hotel but knowing it was just one night I was not too concerned. My flight was late and when I arrived at the hotel the police were escorting people out and there were many security guards around the lobby area. It was a hocky night so in fairness maybe people were a bit more rambunctious than usual but I am not so sure it is not the norm for this place. This hotel is rough starting from the lobby all the way through. The elevators are old. The hallways are old...beer bottles around, few signs. To say I felt 100% safe is a bit of a stretch. As I made my way to my room I was concerned what I might run in to especially as a female travelling alone, so I was moving quite quickly. To put this in perspective I have worked in enforcement and am quite confident in my ability to defend myself and still felt ill at ease. In fairness my room was ok, bed comfortable, TV fine, bathtub was ok, counter and toilet space was very tight. The hotel served breakfast and you had a choice from the menu. The fact that it did not include the tea or coffee I found strange but I figure it was a way to try and ensure to get a bit of a tip. On the positive side I found the hotel staff very helpful, friendly and they did go out of their way to help me with some questions I had. I cannot stay this would top my list if I returned or that I can really recommend it to most people. I feel bad saying that because of how nice the staff were however I like many others rely on this site for honest reviews and so there you have it.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
7  Thank Jaboda
Inter1, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2012

General Manager Response:

Dear “very nice helpful staff but it is a rough hotel”

Thank you very much for choosing The Marlborough Hotel during your visit to Winnipeg.
I’m sorry to hear that you felt unsafe during your stay. Let me assure you that our hotel is safe. Like most hotels, we utilize security staff and video surveillance to maintain a quiet, safe and secure environment for all of our guests. Our guestrooms are equipped with peephole viewers, secure electronic key card locks and safety chains.

As the General Manager, I am constantly striving to better every experience our guests encounter at the hotel. This includes not only taking all safety and security measures, but also continued refurbishments and upgrades to our rooms as well as our business floor. This is an ongoing process that is a top priority for all of us here. Our guests comfort and peace of mind is of the utmost importance to us all.

Thank you for the positive comments about our staff, food and service.
On behalf of our entire team, we look forward to welcoming you back to Winnipeg and to The Marlborough Hotel.

Mike Episcopo