“Overpriced, small rooms, mediocre service”

Four Points by Sheraton Winnipeg South
Ranked #37 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Toronto
“Overpriced, small rooms, mediocre service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2009

I stayed one night at this hotel, which is basically in the middle of nowhere and is quite a distance from downtown.

The room was nicely decorated but tiny -- I had no desk to work at; when a hotel is in the boonies, I expect a larger room.

I had paid for a room with breakfast, but the coupon for my meal wasn't provided to me, rather I had to ask when I realize the hotel's mistake later on. Again, this is NOT appreciated, as I can't recall if I booked for breakfast or not (too many hotel resos!)... I had to go and check my confirmation email. The hot breakfast however was much better than expected.

I tried to use the gym in the morning, and my card wouldn't access the room. I went to the front desk and they came up to the gym with me; their card didn't work either. The clerk looked at me like, "What can you do?" I had to insist he find a way into the gym, and I had selected this hotel because of the gym. Eight minutes later I was finally let in, although it delayed me by a total of 15 minutes.

Internet access was fairly slow.

Overall, this place was overpriced given the hotel's location, service and room size.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank hotski7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Winnipeg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2009

I often stay at hotels in my hometown as a mini vacation and after a bad stay at a noisy hotel a few months ago I was a bit leery about trying yet another hotel but this hotel was close to the events I had going on that weekend so I figured I would try it out. I was so impressed from the moment I walked in the door. I have been in the hotel before when it had different owners and I would not have believed it was the same hotel. First, the bar is GONE, so the earlier complaint from a stay back in 2003, don't worry there is no bar in this hotel any longer. This is the quietest hotel I have EVER stayed in. If we hadn't walked past the remnants of room service in the hall at various points during the weekend, we would have thought we were the only guests. We ordered room service for both suppers and the service was so fast! The food was pretty darn good too. The exercise room didn't have any free weights but the treadmills and elliptical machines were top of the line, and the boyfriend enjoyed the bowflex weight machine. The hotel in general was exceptionally clean, I actually walked barefoot in a hotel room for the first time in ages. The bed was wonderful, the pillows were great, I never wanted to get out of bed! The little touches in the room were right now, I love the bathtub fixture! The pictures in the entire hotel are of Winnipeg, just wished they were labeled so the out of towners could tell where the shots were from, we have some beautiful buildings in this city that I never really took notice of before. This hotel will now be my new home away from home on any of my mini vacations. Don't let the fact that it is not downtown or close to the airport scare you, it is close to the perimeter for people driving in from out of town, it is close to St. Vital Mall, the big block shops of Kenaston (future home of Ikea!) and really only 25 minutes from city centre. I would rather stay here then the hotels close to the airport.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple