“Not near the airport”

Ranked #31 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Not near the airport”
Reviewed September 18, 2010

Even though the name has Airport in it, this hotel is at least a 15 minute drive/shuttle from the Winnipeg Airport. This hotel is quite old and the decor and rooms reflect this. I had the misfortune of getting a room on the second floor which seems to have "kid themed" rooms (there is a kid's play center by the pool) which seems great for families (not so much for everyone else). Do yourself a favour and pick a hotel that is actually near the airport (Hilton & Four Seasons come to mind).

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Warroad, Minnesota
Reviewed September 13, 2010

This is the first time I've ever left a review here, but the hotel was so great I had to let people know! We decided last minute to go to Winnipeg for the weekend. I booked the hotel the day of our stay (online) and put a note in there that I would love a kids room if one should come available. We got there around 6:00 that evening and they had shuffled rooms around so that we got a kids room. I was so happy. Then we saw the Holidome area with the pool and the play structures. It was wonderful. We didn't use it, but there is also a craft type room with a worker in there to help the kids out. The staff was super friendly/helpful the whole time. It is also a very clean and upscale hotel. I highly recommend this hotel to anybody looking for a great place at a reasonable price.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I visit Winnipeg a lot. Spend about 15-20 nights a year. Have tried quite a few hotels. This one seems to be the best mix of value and hotel.

Airport- They have a free airport shuttle from airport to hotel and back. When you land call them and they will provide a free pick up service.

Hotel- Its on Portage Avenue. Lobby is standard HI. Nothing much but nothing bad.

Room- Was quite big size. Standard US/Canada room in a hotel. Free internet in the hotel.

Hotel- They have a play park where kids were enjoying so if you have children, this may be a good place.

Value- I paid C$130 for 1 night. Not bad. Hilton was charging 200 and Clarion $180 and this was as good as both of them. So worth staying here if for a few days in Winnipeg.

Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank VCG
Dawson City, Canada
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Holiday Inn staff were amazing-- very polite and friendly.

Rooms were comfortable and had all essentials.

Free airport shuttle was really convenient as I was just in Winnipeg overnight en route to Northern Manitoba.

I loved choosing my own pillow- so nice to have feather as an option!

Would definitely recommend and stay again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank jen867
Mississauga, ON
Reviewed June 11, 2010

quite a nice hotel, clean and friendly, and very busy. (not what I expected) Location is a bit rough as you will need to U-turn if you are on the wrong side of Portage. Otherwise had all the amenities, business center for printing boarding passes etc

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed March 27, 2010

Stayed one night in March to catch an early morning flight. Had a 2 queen room on the 11th floor. Checked in late (11pm) and out early (7am) so I didn't have too much to do there.

Location on a busy street had me a bit confused where to turn in. Had to go further down the street and turn around to figure it out. Portage has concrete boulevard in the center preventing a lot of left hand turns along the way. Parking was easy and close. Check in was good, although the stairs at the main entrnace were odd for a hotel that size. There was a ramped walkway, but off to the side. The gentleman at the check in counter was excellent. He welcomed me with a nice standard phrase that they must welcome all Priority Club members, but it felt genuine nonetheless.

I requested to use the business center to try and print my boarding pass for the next morning. Unfortuantely the computer couldn't access that part of the WestJet website due to not having the correct Flash version. Still, a small but effective Business Center.

Room was smaller, and bathroom smaller still. Decent view out the window, probably could have been rather nice if it was light out. The room did the trick for a one night sleep. If I was exploring the city or staying for a few nights, I would have enjoyed something bigger. Overall, it felt a touch dated, but in fairly good condition.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank tbstraveller
Grande Prairie, Alberta
Reviewed March 26, 2010

We moved across the country in 2009 and just by chance happened upon this hotel. I found it a little hard to locate the hotel so I called the front desk to verify our directions. The front desk staff were very friendly and even offered to meet me out front and park the u-haul for me. Already, I was impressed. We arrived at the hotel at about 7pm.The front desk staff were fantastic. They checked us in quickly, offered us kids-eat-free vouchers and had someone helps us up to our room on the second floor. I had no idea when I booked this hotel that there was a playground inside of it. We were absolutely thrilled. Our sons (who were 5 at the time) had the time of their lives playing on the pirate themed playground giving us some down time. We were a little concerned that the noise from the playground would effect our stay in our room (which was opposite the playground area) but once inside our room, we couldn't hear a sound. It was blissful. Once the kids were worn out, we ventured downstaires for dinner in the hotel restaurant. We loved that the kids eat free (with 3 kids it can add up fast) and that there were kid friendly choices as well meals we would want to eat too. My husband and I had steak and seafood and appies. Everything was delicious. Our children were exhausted and all three fell asleep before their meals came. The restaurant staff packed up all of the kids meals and carried them up to our room along side of us so we could tote the kids up to bed. They really went above and beyond! Of the 6 hotels we stayed at on our way across the country, this one was by far the best. It has almost been 3 years since we moved and I STILL rave about this hotel to family and friends!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family