“Better places to stay in Winnipeg”

Holiday Inn Winnipeg - Airport West
Ranked #31 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed June 20, 2007

I am from Winnipeg so I can compare this hotel to others in the city. We booked this hotel to stay for a weekend with our children along with another couple. I had stayed in this hotel several years ago and I can say that it has aged considerably and the owners have not invested in any upgrades.

We stayed in a childrens theme suite and I found it to be cramped with old carpeting. The air conditioning was inadequate and the room was hot and stuffy.

The pool was dirty and the hot tub was filthy to the point where I refused to allow my children to enter it.

The ball jungle gym was nice and the children had lots of fun playing inside.

The free breakfast was good.

There are better hotels to stay in in Winnipeg that have been upgraded or are new and have theme rooms and water slides for the children.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank superrabbit

Reviewed May 24, 2007

I recently went on a trip to Winnipeg for a 5 day vacation. When i first arrived at Winnipeg i checked into York The Hotel ( downtown Winnipeg ). It was great, but a friend of the city suggested that i switch hotels and stay at the Holiday Inn, i was told the location would be quietier, the room would be larger ( than what i had at the york) and the daily rates would be cheaper. Well they were right, the location was quietier,not so much traffic but still very close to shopping centers,restaurants, etc. The rooms were simple and clean and the daily rate was about $10.00 cheaper. The bathroom was bright and clean, but the shower is very small, thank goodness im not claustrophobic. I never went to the restaurant or lounge in the hotel but i did order room service, and it was ok, mind you i say ok..it wasnt great, if you like plain dull food you'll love it!! I paid for the hotel room with cash, and because of that i could not order any movies, I was told i had to have a credit card on record or pay a 100.00 deposit. I think that is a bit much considering the last hotel i was at did not require a $100.00 deposit to order a movie that is $10.00 ( give or take ) House keeping is house keeping, in my opinion its the same whereever you go. By the end of my vacation I had a BIG delay the day of my checkout. Check out is at 12:00pm NOON. Because of my delay, which i could not control nor fix i was not able to check out right at 12NOON, and i explained that to the front desk after they had called to confirm my checkout, they seemed ( "SEEMED" ) to understand and scheduled my checkout at a later time in the day which i thought was great. After a half hour (30 minutes ) went by i received 2 calls from the front desk ( note they did not even wait 2 minutes to call back, it was another call right after the other, and using the facilities in the room i was not able to rush to the phone ) a knock came on my door and it was who i think hotel manager maybe? it was certainly a person of higher ranking than a front desk receptionist. I answered the door and without any kind of greeting or perfessionalism i was explained the checkout time and was told the room is no longer available to me and was offered to have my bags carried out for me. Now im not a idiot i am well aware of check in/check out times and i also recalled explaining to a front desk receptionist about my delay. But i guess it was a hopeless effort because i was being escorted out of my room down the elevator to the front door. Now i would certainly understand if they were completely booked and had people waiting on the room but i was in 1 out of the 4 rooms being used on the entire floor. I know that for certain because i had asked one of the housekeepers working on the floor. In my personal opinion I should of just stayed at my previous hotel which I know for a FACT i would have not suffered such an embarassing situation.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed April 2, 2006

I stayed at the Holiday Inn here for one night in a kids suite with three boys ages 3, 6, and 9. I had heard great reviews of this place because of the kids area, but I have to say, I wasn't impressed.

There's was nothing particularily *wrong* with the hotel, it just isn't very nice. The non-kids suites may be nicer, I don't know.

We got there at about 3:45, (check in is 3), and found that none of the kids suites were ready yet. There were three other families in the lobby area waiting to get their rooms also. We got upstairs to the room- it was a lot smaller than I expected, but i suppose a typical theme room. There's the separate sleeping area for children with two bunk beds and a tv, vcr and PS2. This room has only sleeping bags on the beds, a bit worn and thin, but clean, and the kids slept fine. One thing that upset us were the knobs on all the speakers (there was one in every bunk), were all coming off. One had been stuck on with double sided tape.

The main part of the room was past the kids room (you can see the hallway in the picture). There was the typical small desk, bed, end tables and a TV with VCR. There was also a large window that looks into the middle kids play area. Let in quite a bit of noise.

The bathroom and kitchenette area were both clean too, but outdated and dingy. The tub was very scratched, finish coming off, etc. One thing to take note of, that bugged my bf, was that there is not a lot of light in the bathroom, and it makes the shower very dark.

The kitchenette area contained the mini fridge and microwave, as well as a few glasses and bowls.

The restaurant downstairs is not something I would go back to. Food was not bad, just not great, and the service was poor.

The kids area and pool were both very nice, and exciting, but were very busy. We spent time before supper, and it was alright, but by the time we came back from supper it was almost too busy to play. We only stayed in the pool for about 25 minutes because there was a group of 12-16 year olds being very rowdy and knocking into everybody (there were about 15 of them). The structure was a lot of fun, and when it's not too busy, it's pretty safe to just let the kids roam, without having to worry about them. Past the pool area there is also another little area with ping pong, fooseball and a little climbing structure. When we were there, there was a table of older men sitting and drinking (A LOT). There were still there when I went to get drinks from the machine 3 hours later, and you could smell them from across the room.

-there is a mini shop downstairs with munchies, drinks, magazines etc. I had to buy a little swimmer there.
-underground parking, which was nice
-I believe there's a free shuttle to the airport

If you're going there specifically for the kids attractions, then I would just keep in mind what you're paying, and this review, and then go and make the best of it. The hotel is certainly not BAD, just dno't expect too much.

If you are going without kids, I would stay somewhere else, as you can find other hotels that are nicer, and a lot more quiet.

3  Thank jenine
Reviewed October 30, 2005

The effort to make travelers stay as comfortable as possible really shows through in room cleanliness, reception desk service, the resturant and general upkeep of this hotel. I stayed 6 nights. Happy every minute I was there.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
3  Thank Halton
A TripAdvisor Member
Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Reviewed July 13, 2004

We stayed with our two children in a pirate "Theme Room". We have done this at Winnipeg Canada Inns and found the room to be similar--an adult area with inner room with two double bunk beds. While the room was a bit small overall, the hotel's amenities and children's areas more than made up for it. The pool/play area is great--the kids loved coming back to the hotel at the end of the day. They have a supervised "creative activities" area that is unique, making the experience "resort-like". We used the exercise room next to the pool and found it great, too. The "Business Center" with an hour of high speed internet a day free of charge helped me incredibly because I did not have to go through the hassle of international dial-up access and toll charges on my laptop. Room service, restaurant (kids eat free) and general hotel staff helpfulness was way above average. We will move this hotel to our first choice for our yearly stay in Winnipeg.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 13, 2003

We stayed here in October of 2003. What a very nice hotel. Super clean.
Lovely colors in their suites and rooms. Very nice nuetral beige with the gold tone and rich deep mahagony woods. Very relaxing. Minnie aquariums in the elevators. Great staff. Everything top notch. We stayed on the 14th floor, there are 15, and it was quiet. Excellant playarea for children in the pool area on the 2nd floor. Exercise room and whirlpool as well as steam room. Above ground and underground free parking. Conveinant to most attractions....go to the zoo and the manitoba museum while you are there....they are fantastic as well. I would not hesitate to stay here again. We are from Minnesota. Bruce and Sue.

8  Thank shells3
A TripAdvisor Member
Victoria, British Columbia
Reviewed June 24, 2003

WESTJET AND THE HOLIDAY INNOn June 1st, our mother and father were flying WESTJET from Guelph, Ontario, to Victoria for a three week visit to see their two sons and four grandchildren. Enroute, our mother suffered a heart attack and WESTJET had to make an unscheduled stop in Winnipeg, Manitoba. On arrival my mother was transported to the Grace Hospital at which time WESTJETs FAMILY CARE PROGRAM kicked into high gear. WESTJET immediately put my 80 year old father up at the Holiday Inn. During the next three weeks, our family arrived at various times and took turns offering support to our mother and father. While staying in the Holiday Inn, we were continually greeted with a smile and concern for my mother condition. Your hotel offered transportation to and from the Grace Hospital for our entire family during our three week stay in Winnipeg which was much more than we ever expected. This made the commute to the hospital very convenient thanks to your friendly staff. My mother was finally flown home to Guelph by air ambulance after 3 weeks in hospital and never did make it to Victoria. For the Vrooman family, I would personally like to thank WESTJET, Sandy and Rachelle and the Holiday Inn in Winnipeg for all their assistance that went well beyond the extra mile. Dave and Steve Vrooman Victoria, BC

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member