“ordinary and average”

Holiday Inn Winnipeg - Airport West
Ranked #29 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Have stayed here several times in the last 7 years, mainly for convenience as it is close to family and because of the kids' play area.

Hotel is average looking. Breakfast buffet is below average, but not overpriced. We often miss breakfast because of early flight departures and room service is not 24/7

Housekeeping keeps it as clean as possible, considering the hotel is showing it's age. A tip goes a long way.

Front desk personnel are hit or miss. Some are really new and it shows. We were given a room that was occupied, luckily just by suitcases and not nude patrons. They were totally confused at the front desk when we went back for another room and could not offer an explanation.

Airport shuttle is reliable.

I would recommend it for families because the play area near the pool is fun, even as my child gets older.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed August 11, 2009

The hotel offers shuttle service to/from the airport. Clean rooms, good retaurant. Have stayed at several hotels in Winnipeg. This one is my favourite

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 5, 2009

Unfortunately I recently dined at the hotel restraunt. I had the worst steak sandwich dinner in the world! The steak was over cooked, "in a microwave i'm sure", the toast reheated several times, "hard as a rock", vegetables were mushy and tastless. On a good note, the janitor that was cooking did manage to do not to bad of a job on the potatoe other than the fact that everything was served cold. I'm not a fussy person, this is the second meal in my life that i found myself unable to eat. I've eaten in hundreds of restraunts all across Canada and the USA and have never been served something so awful and told there was nothing wrong with it! The server, "some guy working in the lounge" became very angry with me when i said i shouldn't have to pay. To top it all off, he gave himself a tip on my visa! Check your credit card bills upon check out!!!!! I strongly recomend packing your own lunch! Avoid like the plague!!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GeorgeBrandon
Reviewed May 11, 2009

We stayed for 2 nights for my brother's wedding. The reception was also held at the hotel. It was very close to the church. We had a lot of extended family stay, it was nice the hotel put us all together. We have 2 young children, the facilities were phenomenal! We really appreciated having the play structures that they could go on (ages 2 & 4) as well as the Pirates Cove. They also have an activites room for kids 3-12 could go and do crafts as well as video games! Also had a pool & kiddie pool but we didn't have time to use them during our busy weekend.
The reception was great and the food superb! It was so nice to have the reception there, very convenient, especially having young children. We were all really impressed with the service of the caterers and the food.
Front desk was good. We didn't have any problems.
Rooms are a little small but clean. We had 2 Queen beds. Corner rooms are much roomier. Didn't see the kids theme rooms but heard they were pretty special.
The location was convenient, the church was a block away. Really great to have Shopper's Drug Mart across the road as well as Boston Pizza!
The price was great (wedding package).
And the fish in the elevators were really special!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed February 19, 2009

Not much expected for the price I paid. Room was avarage, I think this hotel needs major renovations.
Staff was very helpful and friendly, except one of the front desk staff. I asked her kindly to call a cab for me, and she said okay, but there is a phone number in the room, and that I could call one myself. Anyway, I smiled, and then another staff member checked outside, and saw that there is a cab close to the hotel, and asked another staff member to get the cab. Then, he went ouside with me, and opened the door for me.
The rest of staff were friendly and helpful. Check-in was quick and smooth, and so was checking out. Paul, the shuttle driver who drove me back to the airport was very friendly and nice. I lost my gloves in the shuttle, but Paul found me inside the airport and gave me my gloves.
Yes, I would stay again in this hotel, although, I would like to see it renovated.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 20, 2008

I recently stayed at the holiday inn airport west for business as I do live in Winnipeg but much further away and I needed to be closer to my duties.
I have to say that I have never witnessed such unprofessional behaviour by a member of staff in any organization before. The front desk manager called Angela was an absolute disgrace. On separate occassions she was rude to one of their reservations agents in front of me, rude to someone who appeared to work in the restaurant and then she was rude to me on my final day.
She was very aggressive, spoke down to members of staff directly in front of guests which then reciprocated to the actual guest.
Workers in a hotel should be approachable and not defensive everytime you ask a basic question.
The room was very basic including the food but for a 3 star hotel I was not expecting much more anyway.
When a hotel has a member of staff who is that unprofessional, it certainly is not somewhere I would ever stay again nor recommend to anyone for future stays.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank terribleservice
Reviewed July 9, 2008

If you looking for a place to make the kids happy, this is the place. The play area is clean and has something for most kids under the age of 12. Just don't expect to get a lot of sleep if you stay on the second floor as this is where all the families stay and their kids will keep you up all night.
The hotel is located in a good area of the city and is close to shopping and restaurants.
The staff is excellent.
My biggest complaint is that there is no stairway access to the lobby. It takes you directly outside the hotel. This means you can get quite a crowd waiting for the elevetor around check out time.

• Stayed: February 2008