“Smokey”

Holiday Inn Winnipeg - Airport West
Ranked #30 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
“Smokey”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

This hotel is as average a hotel as you can find. It has a little bit of charm from the aquariums in the elevators. There are floors that are smoking floors (what year is this?!?!) which smell worse than any bar before the smoking bans were introduced. The Housecleaning randomly walked in our rooms w/o knocking when we asked to switch rooms.

Room Tip: Stay miles away from the smoking rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
jbmcha, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg - Airport West, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear BeenBoo
Thank you for taking the time to provide comments on your most recent stay with us. it is always a pleasure to hear from our guests regardless of the situation. I do apologize that you did not enjoy your stay as you had expected. I am pleased however that we were able to relocate you and you were more comfortable. As your comments are important to us, I have discussed the product we use in our rooms with housekeeping to ensure it is being used correctly.
Thank you for your business and I hope you choose us again on your future visit to Winnipeg.
Bruce MacKay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Yorkton, Canada
Reviewed June 10, 2013

In town for grandson's hockey tournament. Team booked here so we stayed here also. Booked an executive room with a king bed. It was on the 8th floor. The floor is secure so if you don't have a room key you can't get on the floor once you get off the elevator. Website said extra amenities such as robes(none),DVD player(non)and complimentary continental bfst(not-extra cost for room pays for bfst).Non smoking floor was a treat. Underground parking for vehicles lower than a SUV. Our Ford Escape barely made it. Had an issue one bfst for what we could have with our continental bfst.They give you a coupon for bfst or you can have a $6.99 credit to their bfst menu.Kids under 12 eat free at any meal with a paying adult. Kids enjoyed the pirate cove. Pool on the small size but non the less still a pool. Room recently renovated; furniture not beat up yet.All staff friendly except one blond waitress in the restaurant. On checkout rate was $15 lower than quoted.;nice surprise. Would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
jbmcha, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg - Airport West, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear njamesb,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments on your most recent stay with us. It is always a pleasure to have your guests provide their feedback. it allows us the opportunity to improve on our services and train our team.
Thank you again for taking the time and we look forward to your return visit.
Carlyle, Canada
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My mom, four year old daughter, 2 month old son and I stayed for a night recently. I read all the reviews but was thinking people must be just picky. We were planning on going to the States but didn't have my sons birth certificate. Well for one night we could of stayed 3 nights down there at a nicer hotel.

Pros
The pool is warm
It's salt water so nicer then strong chlorine
Pirates cove is fun but loud fans so my daughter who is scared of loud noises was scared to go in (don't forget socks I brought for her but not for myself and its big enough for adults to go in too)

Cons
Rooms are way too small. If you have more then four people its crowded. If you pull out the chair at the desk you can't get from one side of the room to the other.
The pool is on the small side. Luckily we went during the week so it was pretty much empty otherwise I can imagine you would be squished like sardines.
The "free" breakfast isn't free as you have to spend an extra $20 for the room and then spend another $6 to use the free voucher.
The shower is like a cave VERY dark no lighting
The air conditioning didn't work in our room, it wasn't even nice outside and the room was a sauna

In the future I would of saved my money and gone somewhere else.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
jbmcha, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg - Airport West, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Carrie W
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us while in Winnipeg. I would like to apologize if you had raised these concerns during your stay and you were still not satisfied. I know you have choices in Winnipeg and I truly hope you give us another opportunity in the future to accommodate you the way you deserve to be treated.
Please know that your comments will assist in our ongoing customer service training.
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed May 29, 2013

What a nice, pleasant surprise I had when I checked into this Holiday Inn Hotel in Winnipeg!
Weary after a long drive straight from Regina with a co-worker, I was greeted within my first two steps through the front doors. A kind gentleman assisted me with my luggage, and directed me to the check in desk. There was one Customer Service Rep on duty at the desk. I was patiently waiting in line with my colleague, who had a separate room reservation, I swear, that within 15-20 seconds, two more CSRs appeared and assisted us both!

I was checked in efficiently, quickly and given complimentary breakfast vouchers, and a free WIFI access code. Wonderful!

After the easy check-in, off to the elevators I went, and there another Holiday Inn employee was standing, & selected the "up". When the first elevator door opened, he cheerily directed us in! He gave it up for us....hmmm...that kind of courtesy rarely happens.

The breakfast the next morning was terrific, and relaxing. Service again was great. A really nice touch, was that we received our own coffee carafe, to fill our cups as we liked...then the waitress brought us "to go" cups with lids so we could take the remaining coffee with us. Fabulous touch!

When we returned to the hotel in the late afternoon (after work), we stopped by the 2nd floor to check out the pool & fitness area. What we saw was awesome! The pool area, includes a family area - full indoor childrens playground. The pool area was very clean - life jackets are available for the little ones. For the "big kids" there is a ping pong table, a foos-ball table, and a huge selection of comfy lounges, and patio furniture to just hang out and relax. The fitness centre appears BRAND NEW! a good selection of equipment (treadmills, stationary bikes, elipticals, and free weights).

In closing - I stayed at this hotel for two evenings. The room, was spacious, very clean, and the beds very comfortable.

I travel a lot - for both business and pleasure - these little touches made my stay at this hotel stand out from the other two hotel visits I had already had this week.

If I ever return to Winnipeg, or if I know of others coming - I will highly recommend this hotel.
Thanks!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank McFadKim
Dear McFadKim
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments on your most recent stay with us. it is always a pleasure to read accolades such as yours. Our team works very hard at providing a level of service that creates good memories for you. It is always nice to be able to share comments such as this as they know you appreciate the effort.
Thank you for your support and we look forward to your return visit.
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed there for a night recently and had a nice stay. There was a fast check inn and a very helpful friendly front desk staff. I had family who came to visit while I was in the city and found the rooms a little small when everyone was in there. There is an excellent play area for kids I know my daughter had a blast playing. I did find some of the kids who were playing in the area a little rough but kids get excited while playing. The pool water was a really nice temperature, they have a little kids pool for younger kids. Wrist bands are needed while you are in the play area (for the kids) I didn't know this until I got to the hotel and was a little disappointed because I had my nephews and nieces coming in to play and visit while we were there. The next morning we got up and ready for checkout. When I booked my room online I found a deal that would get my wife and I free breakfast. We got a $20 credit for the restaurant in the lobby area and breakfast cost is $18 and change and my wife and I had to get water otherwise it would have been over the 20 credit. I didn't like the fact that online it said free breakfast for 2 and it's limited to 20, I would of liked a juice or even coffee with my breakfast. Kids 12 and under eat free off the kids menu. I would still like to thank the hotel and I know I would book again if I went in because I would like my kids to have fun and enjoy the play are

• Stayed May 2013
jbmcha, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg - Airport West, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Wickeraz
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your most recent stay with us. I would also like to thank you for pointing out the areas of the hotel and our team members you were pleased with. It is always a pleasure to be able to share such comments.
I am sorry if you were mislead in any way with the package you had chosen. Your points are important to the Brand and those are being addressed. If you are not a current member of our IHG Rewards program, there are advantages you can enjoy in future stays. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to your return visit.
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Airport West many, many times. I feel so at home while I am there and I get such good feelings from the moment that I walk into the door until we leave. The rooms are always clean, the food in the restaurant is excellent, and my son loves Pirates Cove and swimming in the pool. I love the fact that underground parking is available - a bonus when it is snowing outside! :)

Room Tip: The corner rooms are much quieter than the rooms facing Portage Avenue - less traffic noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TLHZD
jbmcha, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg - Airport West, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear TLHZD
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on your stay with us. it is always a pleasure to share these with our team as they can see their efforts are appreciated.
We look forward to your return visit.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 17, 2013

it is a very old hotel that definitely needs lots of renovations! i .was very disappointed once we were in.rooms were very small and overcrowded by old furniture .so we had to redecorate the room so we have enough space to walk around. The bathroom is way awful ..the sink is cracked and needed to be changed, the bathroom was dark and needed extra lights o make this small space brighter.... just feel like u want to get out of there as soon as possible ,rather than enjoying a nice hot bath.the only advantage in this hotel was the children activities . ping pong table ...small wading pool ,big pool and pirate cove which all the children seem to enjoy......and children 12 and under eat for free...it seems this hotel is packed during the weekends due to children's activities but still they have to consider renovating and updating to keep with people's tastes.

Room Tip: great for children activities!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear maki s
Thank you for choosing to stay with us while in Winnipeg. I am sorry you did not find your accommodations to your liking. We are in the process of reviewing our renovation plans. The changes will be very exciting as I hope you will give us another opportunity to accommodate you in the future.