“Excellent hotel if you have kids.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Winnipeg - Airport West

Holiday Inn Winnipeg - Airport West
Ranked #27 of 64 Hotels in Winnipeg
“Excellent hotel if you have kids.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed there for a night recently and had a nice stay. There was a fast check inn and a very helpful friendly front desk staff. I had family who came to visit while I was in the city and found the rooms a little small when everyone was in there. There is an excellent play area for kids I know my daughter had a blast playing. I did find some of the kids who were playing in the area a little rough but kids get excited while playing. The pool water was a really nice temperature, they have a little kids pool for younger kids. Wrist bands are needed while you are in the play area (for the kids) I didn't know this until I got to the hotel and was a little disappointed because I had my nephews and nieces coming in to play and visit while we were there. The next morning we got up and ready for checkout. When I booked my room online I found a deal that would get my wife and I free breakfast. We got a $20 credit for the restaurant in the lobby area and breakfast cost is $18 and change and my wife and I had to get water otherwise it would have been over the 20 credit. I didn't like the fact that online it said free breakfast for 2 and it's limited to 20, I would of liked a juice or even coffee with my breakfast. Kids 12 and under eat free off the kids menu. I would still like to thank the hotel and I know I would book again if I went in because I would like my kids to have fun and enjoy the play are

• Stayed May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
jbmcha, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg - Airport West, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Wickeraz
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your most recent stay with us. I would also like to thank you for pointing out the areas of the hotel and our team members you were pleased with. It is always a pleasure to be able to share such comments.
I am sorry if you were mislead in any way with the package you had chosen. Your points are important to the Brand and those are being addressed. If you are not a current member of our IHG Rewards program, there are advantages you can enjoy in future stays. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to your return visit.
Bruce MacKay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Airport West many, many times. I feel so at home while I am there and I get such good feelings from the moment that I walk into the door until we leave. The rooms are always clean, the food in the restaurant is excellent, and my son loves Pirates Cove and swimming in the pool. I love the fact that underground parking is available - a bonus when it is snowing outside! :)

Room Tip: The corner rooms are much quieter than the rooms facing Portage Avenue - less traffic noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TLHZD
jbmcha, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg - Airport West, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear TLHZD
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on your stay with us. it is always a pleasure to share these with our team as they can see their efforts are appreciated.
We look forward to your return visit.
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

it is a very old hotel that definitely needs lots of renovations! i .was very disappointed once we were in.rooms were very small and overcrowded by old furniture .so we had to redecorate the room so we have enough space to walk around. The bathroom is way awful ..the sink is cracked and needed to be changed, the bathroom was dark and needed extra lights o make this small space brighter.... just feel like u want to get out of there as soon as possible ,rather than enjoying a nice hot bath.the only advantage in this hotel was the children activities . ping pong table ...small wading pool ,big pool and pirate cove which all the children seem to enjoy......and children 12 and under eat for free...it seems this hotel is packed during the weekends due to children's activities but still they have to consider renovating and updating to keep with people's tastes.

Room Tip: great for children activities!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear maki s
Thank you for choosing to stay with us while in Winnipeg. I am sorry you did not find your accommodations to your liking. We are in the process of reviewing our renovation plans. The changes will be very exciting as I hope you will give us another opportunity to accommodate you in the future.
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Winnipeg for a business trip in March, and everything went smooth, staff was very friendly, rooms were quiet and comfortable. Honestly nothing to complain about.
I had a coffee and a drink at the lounge near the lobby, nice and clean. For those who wish to eat out, there's a Keg and a Boston Pizza literally across the street.

Room Tip: I was on the 6th floor and no issues whatsoever, elevator was quick enough.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear AleccoH
Thank you for taking time out of your day to comment on your stay with us. Our team works extremely hard to provide a comfortable and clean environment for our guests. it is always special when those efforts are recognized.
We look forward to you return visit.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This past weekend we had a great experience at this hotel! We called at 11 to see if we could get in early and we could get in right away. We were able to get there at 1 meaning we ha all afternoon in the pool and pirate cove. My neice who just turned 2 had a blast. Was so cute to see her have so much fun. She spent hours in the pirate cove. The pool temperature was perfect.... Not too cold or warm.
We also forgot tooth paste and shampoo and the maids were so friendly making sure we had everything we needed! Thank you so much for a nice time!!!

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Ashleyf29
Our Goal is to ensure you can relax and enjoy our surroundings. I am thrilled you were able to get in early and I really appreciate your comments on that. Our play area is one of a kind in the city and when your kids are happy we are happy.
Thank you again and we look forward to your return visit.
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Went there for a night on spring break, mostly to give the kids a day of pool fun.

The pool is not the best, it is a rectangle and has no sallow end, and not very big. It is about 4.5 feet depth throughout, so that's not great for smaller kids. And nice and warm, which is much more comfortable for kida. There's a kiddies pool and a hot tub. But the much better attraction is the pirates cove play area, the kids loved it. Lots of nice and comfortable seating areas for the parents.

Comparing it to candinns and clarion as a place to take the kids, it would depend on how much your kids really want to go swimming.

Kids eat free at the restaurant, which isn't anything great but ok. Lots of restaurant options nearby, subway, keg, Boston pizza all across th street. Also nice having a shoppers drug mart across th street.

I remember when it was th old birchwood inn, and the only trace of the 80s is the fish tanks in the elevator. Which I hope they keep, they're great. Rooms are smallish, but comfortable. And very quiet, considering it was spring break and crawling with kids. Nice quality televisions.

Only complaint is the housekeeping. Our room was not cleaned up completely, and that's a big strike against.

Room Tip: If you have kids, get a room on the second floor. Easier to get to the pool. If not, ask to not be o...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Aurora, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

When I have a stop over in Winnipeg, I usually stay here. It's close to the airport (10 minutes). The reason I like it better than staying right at the airport is there are restaurants within walking distance (The Keg, Boston Pizza). The hotel is old (I remember it as the Birchwood Inn as a kid) but they have renovated the rooms and lobby so it looks very modern. If you ever travel to Winnipeg in Winter, they have one of the best features...Heated Underground Parking!!
Staff are very nice and up beat.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business