“Fairmont Gold: Good Service, Decent Food, Poor Amenities”

The Fairmont Winnipeg
Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Toronto, Canada
“Fairmont Gold: Good Service, Decent Food, Poor Amenities”
Reviewed September 5, 2009

Very good and personalised service for Fairmont Gold. Pool and health club weren't busy, thus providing a nice and relaxing atmosphere. Fairmont Gold breakfast was very good, but the afternoon canapes leave much to be desired. Fairmont Gold room amenities were lacking especially considering that this is an upgraded room - the TV looked like it was from the 1980's, very small, poor quality, no cable or satellite. No free local calls, or movies. At least they did provide a couple of bottles of water every day, and a few pieces of chocolate.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 6, 2009

The Fairmont Winnipeg is located near the famous corner of Portage and Main in Central Winnipeg. Unlike many other Fairmont properties in Canada, it is not an old railway hotel (in Winnipeg that's the nearby Fort Gary). Rather, its a non-descript cement tower with rooms that are badly in need of renovation. Beds and sheets are of poor quality - my bathroom sink was cracked and the fluorescent lighting made me feel hideous. Shops in the nearby Exchange District close promptly at 5:00, leaving very few choices for dinner. The staff ARE extraordinarily friendly and helpful and the food in the hotel restaurant is really good. The gym has a mix of decent machines and other equipment an there is a reasonable-sized pool. Nonetheless, I wont be back.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank COCOFromOttawa
Sydney
Reviewed June 24, 2009

This is a hard hotel to rate. I stayed on the Gold floor and the service was without flaw. Absolutely exceptional in organising cars, restaurants, etc. The hotel itself is an older building which has been updated and does look a bit like a 1980's property. That said it is spotless. I guess where it lets itself down are the fittijngs. Older style bathroom and bath. Older TV. Hardsih bed. So not luxurious but I believe the best in Winnipeg.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Los Angeles
Reviewed June 24, 2009

My fiance' was traveling for work and happened to be staying at this hotel on his birthday so I wanted to surprise him by meeting him there and setting up a private happy hour with his co-workers who were also staying there. I started phone conversations with the front desk attendants and restaurant manager and they couldn't have been more helpful or accomodating. I wanted champagne and strawberries in the room upon our check in and they even offered to 'romance' the room with rose petals and candles for free. We had an early check in ( I met him the night before in another city) at 10:30am and they had the room all ready for us. They even sent up more chocolate covered strawberries as a courtesy to thank us for celebrating a special occasion with them. The restaurant manager met us in the lounge and showed us our reserved area and had a server assigned to our group. He advised me on appetizers to order for the group that would go the furthest and recommended which beverages to offer for the open bar to save money. Even the room service was fantastic, so very friendly. The hotel was clean and the bed very comfortable, the food we ordered was great. I would definitely recommend anyone staying in Winnipeg to stay at this hotel!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
canada
Reviewed May 31, 2009

I had signed up for the Fairmont Presidents club several months before so figured we would finally try this Fairmont out. We have Platinum status at the local Delta where the service is great etc., but decided to stay at the Fairmont for one night.
We were heading to the Moose game so only booked one night. I booked the "Gold" room hoping this would really exceed our expectations at the Fairmont. I have stayed at Fairmont's before and have found them for the most part to be excellent. I do prefer the more modern ones in comparison to their old authentic style.

Arrival - Nothing special being the luxury hotel they are supposed to be. When booking the Gold room it was said there is private check-in etc., I walked up to the desk and she never said anything of the sort. Actually very normal if anything. Now don't get me wrong I don't need anything special checking in but really thought we were going to indulge this night and enjoy some pampering since that is what we are paying for - right ? Well, not really. She told me my room # and told me where the elevators were. When I arrived to the 18th floor I did not see any lounge or anything. When I booked it, it said we were on the lounge floor which we wanted for convenience. So all in all the arrival was nothing other than ordinary.

Room - The room was very clean and fresh smelling and looking with the colors. Upon entering I was still a little disspointed that we were actually on the 18th and not the 19th as it was advertised. We did not want the inconvenience of getting into the elevator for the Gold lounge.
I left the room and went to the 19th floor to take a look where I thought it was very nice. I asked the gentleman if it was at all possible to get a room on the 19th. He said no problem and showed me two rooms and I could choose whichever one I wanted. Very accomodating in that aspect and made me alot happier.
The rooms themselves are a little old if you really take a look but very nice nonethless. The real DISAPPOINTING items of concern in the room were I could not believe the mattress quality - no pillowtop bed whatsoever. A simply crappy mattress where the sheets did not even fit at the bottom of it. The mattress was sticking out with the old blue pinstriped look !!! Almost every decent hotel have pillowtop mattresses and I could not believe the Fairmont did not. Then the T.V. - my god it was unbelievable. An old RCA that was the size of a microwave oven. Just brutal for a luxury hotel chain of this sort. My grandmother has a newer / larger t.v. than this. It's actually funny - you really have to see it. Maybe they got a volume sale from a local motel that was selling them :))
___________
When I was in the lobby I actually asked the front desk clerk if they actually do not have feathertop/pillowtop mattresses. I actually thought that housekeeping might have forgot to replace it or something. She replied " most of our customers have allergies" . I said to myself - Did she actually say that ?? especially when the pillows were all feather. Anyway, not the end of the world as we ended up having a very good sleep.
The Gold Lounge is excellent that also has excellent food especially breakfast. It was very relaxing and quiet on the weekend. The staff were very friendly.
Parking is I believe $24.00 for valet and $16.00 for self parking. We self parked and it was just fine.
We visited the lounge after the hockey game. We ordered some drinks and a little food. The atmosphere was very nice and comfortable. Service was very good - prices were very fair for this type of establishment and the food was excellent.
We received turn down service. They come in and leave bottled water and slippers beside the bed. There was obviously two of us but they only left one bottled water and one set of slippers...No big deal but they need to get these things right.

All in all, I would probably visit here again if the price is right. I just simply expected a little more from this Fairmont as it missed on a few aspects of providing personalized service plus some of the items I mentioned above at this luxury hotel.
If they could fix a few of those things and get them right this would place would be spot on but they definately need to work on that.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank okop
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 29, 2009

We spent 4 days here on the Fairmont Gold floor. The room was smaller than we'd expected for this level, but was lovely and had twice daily service. Fairmont rooms tend to be somewhat small; the Gold level rooms may be slightly smaller than the others.

Gold level is their "hotel within a hotel". It has its own floor, with separate check in, a beautiful lounge with snacks, tea time, free gourmet breakfast. The special attention and pampering were wonderful. We weren't there on business, which is why most people use it, but they took care of finding restaurants for us, mailing and faxing, and just helping in general.

Downtown Winnipeg is a little seedy and there are some unsavory characters around. There is a large underground shopping area, which has a center that goes up 3 or 4 storeys and has a movie theatre. It was still rather cold and windy, so we didn't walk as much as we usually would, but there are a lot of attractions within walking distance.

The hotel itself is quite nice. There is a pool and a full exercise area where you can also get a massage. They do not have a full spa, which would be a nice addition. The main restaurant has excellent food and equally good service.

Our only problem was excessive heat in the room, which they took care of right away, even though it was evening. I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
toronto
Reviewed February 20, 2009

i stayed 2 nights.......minus 24 degrees outdoors. i was there to visit a cemetary and also spent 7 hours a day visiting a friend in the hospital
The staff amazed me, especially Deanna Greenaway at the front desk. She listened about my previous stay and her choice of room for me,her seeing me as an individual and her follow through have made me tell everyone i know about the warmth at porttage and main.
Deanna is a star.