“Great location for downtown business”
Review of Fairmont Winnipeg

Fairmont Winnipeg
Ranked #7 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Only a quick visit but all was good and efficient. Staff very attentive and courteous. Great beds for a good sleep. Very centrally located near the well know Portage and Main intersection. I''d definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Free Wifi for Fairmont President's club members.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Pascale R, Executive Office at Fairmont Winnipeg, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Thank you for sharing your comments, Byren. It was our pleasure to have you and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and our fantastic beds!

Reviewed July 2, 2014

I have stayed at the Winnipeg Fairmont probably a half dozen times over the years and have never had anything other than a first-class experience. Comfortable beds, good location, nice lounge and friendly helpful service.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Pascale R, Executive Office at Fairmont Winnipeg, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

We always appreciate receiving such positive feedback from a loyal guest. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent hotel stay. I am delighted to hear that you continue to receive excellent service. I do hope that you will continue to choose our hotel in the coming years, especially as we look forward to renovating our lobby, Fairmont Gold floor and main dining areas.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

First, the good points. The location is central, the staff were friendly and helpful, when prompted, and the gym and the pool were excellent. The steam room was outstanding. The bed was very comfortable.

Faint praise indeed. Here are the drawbacks from our visit in May 2014.

Check in was flustered and missing the level of service expected - apparently the hotel had been full (a conference) and there was only one person at the desk, even at 4:00 pm. President's Club membership didn't seem to make a difference.

The parking is not at all accessible, a fact not mentioned when the various options for car parking were explained at check-in. Each level of the parking lot requires about half a dozen steps to reach the elevator (located mid-level) - a surprise to us, and had we known (given the amount of luggage we had) we would have opted for valet parking. Further, access between the parking garage and the hotel requires a convoluted route down through a slightly sad underground mall, and up through a different elevator system. Not the end of the world, but not quick or convenient. Again, if explained at check-in, we would have opted for valet parking just on hassle alone.

Did I mention that the hotel itself is some sort of mid-century modern monstrosity? Not like other Canadian traditional historic CP Hotels in the Fairmont line. Quite disappointing. Perhaps I compare unfairly to the Empress, Chateau Laurier, Banff, etc.

The room was nothing particularly special, but perfectly acceptable. There was a nice rain shower but not a bath, which was a surprise. The products were very nicely chosen, although I had two conditioners and no shampoo in the room.

Finally, and I hesitate to mention this, but there were two bugs in the room, climbing up the curtains - I found and killed when were were getting ready to check out. I called the desk to report them, and a very nice person came up immediately and confirmed that they were some sort of beetle, and not bed bugs. I wasn't expecting anything, but I would have thought that they would have offered some sort of gesture such as a voucher, but nothing was offered for us as we were checking out. To her credit, she offered to switch our rooms, but didn't seem to know that that wasn't an option as we were packed and ready to go. I would have no idea if they were beetles or bugs, I am taking her at her word - which is why I hesitate mentioning it here. My criticism here is more about the service - not up to the usual Fairmont standard in my view. There should have been much more of an effort.

Next time I'm in town for business, I'd go back to the new Hampton Inn at the airport - better room, better value, better service. The 10 minute drive is worth it.

1  Thank Dee154943

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review on your recent experience at our hotel. Please accept my sincerest apologies that the service was not up to the standard we are known for and attest to. Your comments have been shared with our management team and will addressed appropriately. I would love the opportunity to further discuss some of the issues you experienced. If you would like to e-mail me at Pascale.rocher@fairmont .com, it would be my pleasure to contact you at a convenient time and ensure these matters are resolved.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Nice hotel. Great service. The only downside was the quality and price of the food. ....................................................................................................................

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your comments! I will be passing them onto our food and beverage management team to review. Please accept my apologies for your disappointment. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

I can't recommend The Fairmont enough. I stayed for 6 nights in June 2014 and everything was superb and I was even offered the hotel BMW twice to get to my meetings. Staff are very helpful and the hotel is excellent

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Thank you very much for this review. I am delighted that you always enjoy your stay with the hotel and were able to take advantage of our BMW service, an exceptional Fairmont President’s Club member privilege.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

Great service, central location, well appointed & comfortable rooms. Staff was particularly welcoming. Good gym and pool. Being able to order running shoes and gym apparel very handy to cut down on luggage.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
Pascale R, Executive Office at Fairmont Winnipeg, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

Thank you for sharing your comments on your recent stay and I am pleased to note you were able to take advantage of our Fairmont Fit program. It is certainly very popular among our business travelers and those looking to cut down on luggage.

Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

As a Hilton Diamond member I am very partial to hilton properties, but my experience with the Fairmont in Winnipeg would put some Hilton Hotels I stayed at to shame in my opinion. Attentiveness,friendliness, and professional would be adjectives I would use to describe my experience with the staff from the valet attendants to the concierge to the bar tenders everything was what I felt above and beyond. I would highly
Recommend this hotel and plan to stay at another one in the states in my travels.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

I am delighted to note you had an enjoyable stay, due in parts to our exceptional service, and I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Attentiveness, professionalism and friendliness are key aspects of our service promise. I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Fairmont Winnipeg in the future.