“Nice Stay at Fairmont” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Los Angeles, CA
“Nice Stay at Fairmont”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Was in town for a wedding and the Fairmont was in a great location. The restaurant was nice and the room was comfortable if a little small. I was on the gold floor with comes with breakfast and other amenities, which I didn't have time to take advantage of. My only complaint was the hairdryer was very low power and low heat.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Pascale R, Executive Office at The Fairmont Winnipeg, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for your review and I hope you enjoyed the wedding you attended. As one of Winnipeg’s Premier reception choices, we always aim to go above and beyond exceptions. Thank you for your feedback, especially in regards to the hairdryer which we will certainly look into.
Warm regards,
Executive Office

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

If this was the first Fairmont at which I'd stayed, I would never go to another one. I stayed here immediately after having stayed at the Fairmont Vancouver and the Fairmont in Calgary. The rates were basically identical at all three hotels but, while those were luxury or near-luxury hotels, this Fairmont could barely pass as a bargain hotel or motel.

My room had cracks in the ceiling, an ancient in-exterior wall A/C unit with its cover askew, and noise, noise, noise from both the exterior and interior of the hotel. The noise from my neighbours through the walls and door to the hallway was so bad that I considered leaving at 3am.

The bar was pleasant: the salmon salad I had was fresh and quickly served.

Service wise:
The Valet was courteous on check-in and parked my car immediately in front of the hotel for a quick departure the next day.

On check out I was asked about my stay. I replied that I got no sleep because of noise and received only a "hmmmm" in response.

I'm a fan of the Fairmont brand: they really need to drop this hotel asap.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel. You won't be getting any sleep at this one.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
I’m sorry to hear that your recent stay did not meet your expectations. I can understand how frustrating it would have been to have a noisy room and one that did not allow you to get a decent nights rest. I’m glad that you enjoyed our food and beverage offerings and your interactions with our bell staff were positive. If you have any further comments that you would like to share, or if you would like to discuss your stay in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Dauphin, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

As far as we can tell, the Fairmont is the only hotel in Winnipeg that offers a babysitting service. To be precise, an employee of the Fairmont, together with her daughters, offer the service. This has been ideal for us, as we have been traveling to Winnipeg for medical appointments, and had no place to leave our two small boys. We have been treated like royalty at the Fairmont, and we certainly plan to return.

Room Tip: The suites are great, but the single rooms offer plenty of space as well.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
It sounds like you had a wonderful visit! Thank you for the feedback. We always enjoy reading about guests who are able to enjoy the service for which we have become so well known. We have a wonderful babysitting team, exclusive to our hotel and always receive very positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming back you and your boys soon!
Warm regards,
Evansville, Indiana, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Last year we stayed at this hotel and had a great room and excellent service, not so true this time. First upon checkin the front desk personnel informed us we only had reservations for 2 nights, originally we had 5 nights. He seemed very uncaring and said maybe something would change later. We went to our room and the key card would not work, I left my husband in the hall and as I approached the desk he did not even bother looking my way. I waited after he finished doing something and told him of our problem. He re-keyed the card and off I went. The room was very small not like the room we had last year and even though the shower was large and nice the vanity had very little space to keep our toiletries. The pillows were down and kept stabbing me in the face. The next day they informed my husband that they might find us a smoking room and they could spray it for the rest of our stay. Why couldn't the person checking in on Friday take that room and leave us where we were. In the end they could not find space for us or two other couples coming in on Friday. Several times when I approached the desk the the personnel would turn and go through doors to a back office. Upon check out Friday I waited for someone at the desk and told the young lady that we did not have a car and should not be charged for parking. She agreed to credit us and then asked if our stay was satisfactory. I told her not really as I was hoping to stay in one place but we were told there were no rooms. She shrugged and said "oh".
Between the displacement and uncaring attitude of staff I doubt we will stay there next year.

Room Tip: So disappointed, not the Fairmont we are used to.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Pascale R, Executive Office at The Fairmont Winnipeg, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for your review. Becky, I can understand how the factors you mentioned in your review would have contributed to a negative stay and for this I sincerely apologise. This is certainly not indicitive of the level of service we strive to provide at our hotel. Please be assured that the relevant individuals have been spoken to and these issues will not occur again. If you would like to dicuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on Pascale.Rocher@fairmont.com.
Ottawa, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

I was here for a meeting in August, and was very much impressed by the staff. They were very helpful in making the meeting go smoothly, and then in helping me with information to enjoy my day. Only one downside: the wifi is expensive. I don't understand this practise from the Fairmont chain when wifi is so accessible now.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback I’m glad you had such a successful event. We do offer complimentary Wi-Fi to all our Fairmont President’s Club members. Fairmont’s President Club is free to join and is a fantastic loyalty program that includes all sorts of perks such as complimentary use of BMW bikes and Taylormade golf clubs (at participating hotels). I hope that you will consider joining the club and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Miami Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

We have stayed at Fairmont Hotels in many states and countries, so when we booked this we expected to have the same quality and standard as the other Fairmonts, however, we were very disappointed! We booked a King Size Deluxe Room, when we entered our room with three suitcases the room was so small there was barely any room to walk! The linens were plain and not up to Fairmont standards. The desk, dresser and night stands were likened to a Holiday Inn! We were seriously disappointed. We would have checked out and gone back to The Fort Garry Hotel, but they were booked. We will definitely not return to the Fairmont, suggest you book at The Fort Garry hotel when staying in Winnipeg. It is beautiful and you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: Stay at The Fort Garry Hotel....it is much nicer and held to a higher standard! Fairmont should be a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Pascale R, Executive Office at The Fairmont Winnipeg, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write as it is through such feedback that we are better able to serve our clients. I’m sorry to hear that you found the hotel to be a disappointment. We usually receive very positive responses in regards to our rooms and their size. I would be happy to discuss in detail your recent stay if you would contact me on Pascale.rocher@fairmont.com. I hope that, despite your recent disappointment, we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Fairmont Winnipeg in the future.
North Battleford, SK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

The attentive service and attention to the small things is why we stay at Fairmont repeatedly.
Check in was easy and fast and amazingly friendly. The valet/door men; Willy, Teddy and Shermand (sp?) were so friendly and helpful. I enjoyed every visit with them.
The room - wheelchair room - 507 was clean and the bathroom was perfect. The rain shower and hand held had excellent pressure. The layout was well thought out and very accessible except the bathroom was too high for me as the bevil cut was right at eye level.
The room had a very accessible side to their queen bed with a wardrobe closet. The isle way to the other side was very right. The chair in the room needed to be tucked in between the entertainment center and the desk for me to access the desk. The carpet is quite plush making it harder to wheel around the room. The bed was great with lots of pillows. The hotel itself is older and has a week central air system. Also it is on a sensor (being eco- friendly is fine by me if it works well to begins with) and where it is located (beneath the window pointing down) it did not circulate the air well. During the night - if you sleep in one position only such as myself it will shut off as no motion. And after a +34 day and the drapes being open for room presentation it was very hot in there.
** Only 2 minor complaints is the black marks on the wall - which I could easily wipe off with a damp cloth - were left by housekeeping. Room 507 had a very high pitched and extremely annoying noisy water pipe that would squeal when you or other rooms near you use any tap; especially at 4 am when another quest had a 32 minute shower. Hint if you run the sink tap the noise lessens a bit

Hotel - had a very light pleasant scent. Outside is older and concrete and not as impressive as other Fairmonts but they focus on the inside and that is what matters. Lobby, lounge and dinning room are all well appointed and very much to Fairmont standards. Hallways are very quite.

Parking - valet or self park will cost you. It is a bit complicated to get to self park - so we opted for valet and they were a pleasure!!!

Dining and Lounge - Thank you Mike (Lounge) and Rita (velvet glove at breakfast) for making our dining and stay so wonderful. Your professional and personal happy demeanor was appreciated.

Checkout was wonderful. Only a extremely minor discrepancy on the bill and was corrected within a blink of an eye.

Can't wait to come back next year!!

Room Tip: Rooms facing SW have best view - see the corner of Portage & Main
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Welcome back to The Fairmont Winnipeg! Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed review. We love reviews like this because the feedback really helps us to better serve our clients. I’m glad you had such an enjoyable stay and found the hotel easy to navigate in a wheelchair. We have definitely taken your concerns about the carpet and narrowness of the gap between the wall and the bed into concern. We strive to provide a hotel that is easily accessible for everyone and I’m glad you were able to relax and enjoy the fabulous service for which we have become known. We look forward to your next visit to our hotel.