“Average for a Fairmont”
Review of Fairmont Winnipeg

Fairmont Winnipeg
Ranked #7 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Stayed recently and found the Fairmont at acceptable quality levels as compared to other hotels, but as this is supposed to be a luxury hotel, it certainly does not qualify as such except for the prices. Had a renovated room, but the ceiling showed staining from a previous water leak somewhere. Cleanliness of room was good, service was fine at the front desk. The lobby is a little under decorated. The lounge was fine etc. etc. Comparable hotel to many others in the same neighbourhood. Parking is tricky until you understand how to get to the parking garage from the hotel, this was never explained to us and caused some confusion searching for egress and access. There are no clear signs. Restaurant food commendable.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room. Get a parking pass from the front desk that allows in and out privileges...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Pascale R, Executive Office at Fairmont Winnipeg, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Thank you for choosing The Fairmont Winnipeg on your recent visit to the city. I was disappointed to hear that you found the hotel average, especially as we strive to provide unrivalled service. I would like to sincerely apologise for the staining on the ceiling of your room. I have spoken to our maintenance department and they are rectifying this immediately. In regards to our lobby, I am excited to announce that it will be going through extensive refreshment at the end of summer. I hope that should you chose to return to The Fairmont Winnipeg, you will be able enjoy these changes. If you have any further comments or concerns that you would like to share, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on Pascale.rocher@fairmont.com

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed here a while back and was very disappointed, I expected a lot more from a Fairmont, however we just stayed at this location this past weekend and those expectations were met, so I felt I should write a new review!

The rooms are now renovated and are much better! Especially the bathrooms, cracked sinks are gone, nice new tiled walk in shower! The bed was very comfy! Room was very clean. I have no complaints what so ever this stay! Very impressed with the front desk service as well! We felt the room rate given to us was more than fair as well!

I'm sure we will be staying here again! Special thank you to the front desk staff who went over and beyond what we expected!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Pascale R, Executive Office at Fairmont Winnipeg, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Welcome back to The Fairmont Winnipeg! I am so thrilled that we had the opportunity to restore your confidence in the hotel. We’re very happy with our newly renovated rooms and have had a lot of positive feedback. Our front desk team really takes pride in providing service that sincere and engaging and I’m glad to hear you felt they went above and beyond for you. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we will be welcoming you back to Winnipeg in the future.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Horrible experience. We arrived after travelling from Alberta to find our room at check in time was not ready. We had an appointment within the hour so they told us to go shower and get ready in the workout change room. We had our two children with us and were given a smoking room with promises they would find us and contact us to change to a non smoking room. Never happened. Heavy road construction in area for drivers unfamiliar with area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sherry S
Pascale R, Executive Office at Fairmont Winnipeg, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. Please accept my sincere apologies that your family's visit was compromised as a result of your room not being ready and the construction outside of the hotel. Someone should have contacted you to let you know that all our non-smoking rooms were fully booked. I have notified the relevant department heads to ensure that this does not happen again. In regards to the construction outside of the hotel, unfortunately it is an ongoing project by the city. We sincerely regret the impact it has had on our guests. If you would like to contact me to discuss these issues, I would be more than happy to talk to you. My e-mail is pascale.rocher@fairmont.com. Once again I apologize that your trip was not what it should have. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to The Fairmont Winnipeg in the future and I am positive that we will be able to restore your confidence in the hotel.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed at the Fairmont for my daughter's sweet 16 birthday party. They treated us like rock stars! My daughter felt like a princess and we were very impressed with the amazing service. The view was spectacular, the room was spotless and they even let us have our little pizza party in their boardroom. Colleen on the Gold Floor was an angel! Thanks for a fabulous night and a memory my family will cherish forever!

Room Tip: The Gold Floor is TOTALLY worth it!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank EmmettsGramsy
Pascale R, Executive Office at Fairmont Winnipeg, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

What wonderful feedback! Thank you so much letting us know how your daughter’s Sweet Sixteen went at our hotel. At The Fairmont, we really strive to provide our guests with service that will make them feel valued with the addition of thoughtful personal touches. I was delighted to hear that you were able to experience this service. If you’re interested in finding out more about similar stunts we’ve pulled for our guests in the past, you can read about the pillow fort (on google) that we helped create. I’m so glad we were able to help turn a moment into a memory and I look forward to welcoming you and your daughter back to the Fairmont Winnipeg in the future.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed three nights at the Fairmont Winnipeg for a conference. My king room was decidedly not renovated (out-dated bathroom, badly stained carpet and chairs, grungy bathroom tiles and wallpaper). Some of my colleagues did have renovated rooms, in which bathrooms were refinished and furnishings a little more clean.

First, this is indeed a challenging location. The corner of Main & Portage is busy and loud. Pedestrians must make sense of the underground concourse to traverse these two streets, as there's no street level crossing. That said, it's a great location in downtown Winnipeg that allows access to the Forks, the Exchange District, the Human Rights Museum, and more, all on foot.

The hotel lobby is elegant and comfortable. Check in was fairly quick, though front desk were not overly friendly for check in or any subsequent interactions. Bellmen were friendly and efficient.

My king room turned out to be directly across from the elevators, but fortunately it wasn't as loud as I feared. The room was spacious enough, though worn out. Street noise did come through, but not too badly. Trains squealing on tracks did reach me -- and that's a lot of trains. The freight and Via track is within about 400 metres of the hotel.

Rooms have large LCD TVs, Keurig coffee makers, mini-bars, and lots of places to sit/throw belongings. Towels are plush, two robes are provided, and the bed is so comfortable you'll want to sleep constantly. And kudos to Fairmont for providing lots of places to easily plug in devices (desk area) and CPAP (bedside).

The hotel has a lounge/resto and a swanky restaurant. The lower level connects with the aforementioned confusing concourse -- handy in rainy or cold conditions as you can access shops and coffee joints as needed without stepping outside. There's not a lot that is open past 5pm in downtown Winnipeg, and so it's challenging to find convenience items. Would be nice if the hotel had a coffee shop, for that reason. There is a "health club" on the 21st floor -- it's a good hotel gym, but hardly more than that. There's a pool, hot tub and sauna, as well.

All in all, a good hotel, even a great one -- but I would argue that in the Fairmont line-up, it's so-so. That's the challenge of a luxury brand -- it requires living up to very high standards. Maybe the renovated rooms give that sense of luxury -- but until they're all renovated, there are some gaps to be filled. And the nonsense of having to join the Fairmont President's Club to get free internet... don't even get me started. In this day and age, charging $14.95 per day for plug-in internet (and wireless, for that matter) is ridiculous.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the hotel are slightly noisier, but definitely more spacious than those on the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Pascale R, Executive Office at Fairmont Winnipeg, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such extensive feedback. We always appreciate when guests can provide us with all the details of what they did and didn’t enjoy. I am sorry to hear that you were not placed in a renovated room along with the rest of your colleagues. As I’m sure you can understand, the renovations have been a bit of a balancing act as we continue to keep the hotel running and open as usual. Regardless, I am sorry if this compromised your stay in away way. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed the rest of visit to Winnipeg and were able to make the most of our facilities such as our four-diamond rated restaurant and our health club. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the city in the future.
Warm regards,

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Our stay at the Fairmont Winnipeg at Portage & Main in the heart of downtown was very enjoyable. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms have been renovated and are up to date and the beds are very comfortable. The hotel is close to the Forks (about a 15 minute walk) and many other attractions, restaurants etc. There is access to a complete underground path of walkways with restaurants and shops through the downtown core which is probably welcome in the winter. Note that that the underground restaurants, shops are closed on the weekends (I believe from Friday at 5:00 pm to Monday morning) as they are primarily there to serve the working crowd during the business week.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

I'm pleased to see you had a comfortable and enjoying stay when visiting our city. Thank you for taking the time to send us some feedback. Our beds are definitely one of our most popular features and we frequently get comments on them. We use multiple layers of silk, wool and flawless foam to ensure our guests enjoy absolute luxury. If you’re really interested, we sell all our bedding and beds online here: http://www.fairmontstore.com/category.aspx?category1=Bed&category1Name=Bed&categoryLevel=0
I look forward to welcoming you back The Fairmont Winnipeg in the future.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

As 'first time' visitors to the Fairmont Winnipeg, we were very impressed with the hotel and level of service provided. We were treated 'royally' from the moment we stepped out of our car and handed the keys to the valet attendant. We had a suite on the 18th Gold floor, and all of the staff were exceptional...we have never had such personal, sincere attention in our extensive travel experiences at any other hotel. We were traveling with our small dog, which can sometimes be difficult to manage in a hotel environment. The excellent Fairmont staff went out of their way to help, locating dog friendly restaurants and making us feel relaxed around the hotel with our little pooch in tow. From the valet to the concierge to the Gold Club staff, we were extremely impressed by their friendliness, professionalism, and sincere interest in making our stay the best ever! We will return to the Fairmont Winnipeg very soon!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nsmith0001
Pascale R, Executive Office at Fairmont Winnipeg, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

I am delighted to welcome you to Fairmont Hotels and Resorts! I hope that your trip to The Fairmont Winnipeg will be the first of many Fairmont visits at our properties around the world. I'm glad you were able to relax and enjoy your visist with your dog. We're always happy to welcome those very "peticular" guests and provide them with their own pet-friendly amenities. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcome you and your dog back to the hotel soon.