“Decent budget accommodation”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #38 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed December 2, 2013

This is a budget property on a major road not far south of downtown. The location is decently central - in the absence of traffic you can be in the heart of downtown in five minutes - and the neighbourhood to the west has lots of local restaurants.

The rooms are clean, things mostly work. We had a small fridge in the room that actually cooled things, unlike many of its brethren. There is only one ice machine, so that can be a hike. The hotel breakfast is a cut above the usual in that it has warm bacon or sausages and occasionally hash browns in addition to the usual toaster, waffle-maker and cold cereals.

Our room was across from the elevator, which is not a great spot given the inconsideration of other guests (having loud conversations in the hall at all hours). There seems to be sufficient parking outdoors at the rear of the hotel. The counter staff were not warm, but were efficient enough.

The in-house restaurant is Asian, although they had Western standards on their room-service menu. We were not able to try it beyond breakfasts, which of course are buffet-style. The internet was great if you are nostalgic for dial-up, as in the evenings the bandwidth is not sufficient for the number of users - not exactly unusual in budget hotels, but annoying nonetheless. There is a bar on the main floor, but we did not visit it.

Overall I would recommend this for budget accommodation close to downtown.

Room Tip: West side away from the elevator would be quietest.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Rick_1051

Reviewed November 30, 2013

We spent one night in each of the past 3 months, and have enjoyed every stay. The queen room is on the small side, but it has a fridge, working internet, and even a (bliss for me) comfortable chair and ottoman.

There is a Subway and McDonald's across the street so we didn't miss having a microwave. There is also a restaurant on site but we haven't used it.

Our stay in November was in a king room. It was nice having a larger bed and that room also has a microwave so we took advantage of it by bringing hot dishes from home to heat up. There was no ottoman in the room, so I asked the cleaning staff about it, and they promptly stopped what they were doing and found one for me. Bless their hearts! They work hard as it is (One day they were washing the walls in the hallway!) but go out of their way to quickly accommodate any requests, and always with a smile.

The rooms are quite sufficient, and are always clean and comfortable.

Keith at the front desk, has also always been accommodating wherever he can be, and is more than friendly, always making us feel welcome.

The free breakfast is a highlight the next morning (wonderfully open until 10:00 AM so we can sleep in!). The scrambled eggs, varied meats (changing daily), waffles, big pot of ready made oatmeal, toast, yogurt, various juices etc are a wonderful way to end our stay with. Always fresh and much enjoyed.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gwen G
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Nice hotel, staff not with the greatest smile, but not rude. Unlike quite a few hotel I've been in recently, internet is working fine. The room is clean and comes with mini-fridge and microwave. There is actually nothing to complain about. The only thing I'd improve is the breakfast. Make it at 6:30 instead of 7:00. Ok, say 6:45 and I'm a happy camper. Here it starts at 7:00, not 6:45. And they won't do anything to help me out.

Room Tip: Breakfast only at 7:00
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sylvain F
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

We would go back to this hotel. The staff where friendly and helpful . The room was clean and comfortable . also the continental break was great. The parking lot is behind the hotel and is well lit at night. Keep up the great job and we will be back.

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank G4More
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Hello,
I am a Diamond member with Choice and stay in several different hotels throughout the year. A simple request on a Tuesday morning turned into a couple of over-the-top acts of kindness by one of the front desk managers. I asked Valerie for a piece of fruit and a yogurt at 6:30am on Tuesday, since I was leaving for work early and going to miss breakfast. She accommodated me and I went on my way. Knowing that I was leaving at the same time all week, she had a brown paper bag waiting for me the next morning with fruit, a muffin, yogurt, butter, and cutlery. Awesome! What a treat! This morning, Halloween, I was greeted with the same, although this time I had a little Halloween candy in my bag. And Valerie mentioned that Wednesday they were out of muffins and she had grabbed one for me from Tim Horton's across the street. Amazing service, indeed. Thank you very much.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Matt M
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This hotel has been recently remodeled. I stayed here in May and since then the owners have been remodeling the rooms. One of the surprises of this visit is that the hotel has some great theme rooms. The restaurant on the property is well decorated and serves as the breakfast area. Win City Pub is a great gathering place and the bartenders are awesome. Food from the restaurant is not very good and the service was poor. The hotel is close to a beer store, Papa Johns Pizza and a BBQ restaurant. Good access to all roads. Beds are comfortable and rooms are very clean.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms to the front of the hotel away from the main entrance.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We were in Winnipeg for some business and decided on this hotel because of the location. When my sister asked where we were staying she exclaimed "Where?? Are you sure?" Not a good sign! We had though booked on line and were under the impression that we had prepaid...so we stuck with it. Yikes...what a dismal place.
We were supposedly upgraded, because the room designated for us had "plumbing issues"...so we got a suite, right next to the elevator...I mean right next to the elevator, which rumbled up and down all night long. Who comes and goes 80 times between 3 and 6 am?
Sad place...very dowdy decor.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business