“good if going to mts centre, but needs major improvements”

Radisson Hotel Winnipeg Downtown
Ranked #14 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed March 15, 2009

We chose the Radisoon Winnipeg downtown for its location relative to MTS centre (for The Eagles concert). Upon arrival we were first un-impressed with the lobby. Usually downtown hotels have large, inviting lobbys that make you have a good first impression of the hotel. This one however was small, crammped, and boring. They screwed up our reservation, rather than 2 double beds we had to get a queen with a very uncofortable cot. They said there was nothing they could do - sorry. The parking lot is another oddity. Very cramped and tight and not really connected to the hotel. You had to go through the lobby to a different elevator. The room was old and retro. The wooden doors looked like a sauna and the brown tile shower in the bathroom was updated along with the furniture and carpet. The pool area was a joke. There is no such things as the fitness centre or sauna they claimed to have. The showers in the change room were missing the knobs. The plus was the friendly housekeeping staff and wireless internet, but next time we will be choosing another hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank andrewg6

Reviewed February 25, 2009

Stayed with husband and 2 kids in club floor suite (29th floor) View was awesome. Cost was high, but snacks/breakfast in Club Room more than made up for the extra cost. Club Floor was secure and quiet. Full time staff member helped us alot. Room itself was quite nicely decorated, but the tv didn't work very well. The one in the bedroom did. Separate heat controls is great, and not too loud. Sliding bathroom door looked nice but didn't lock. Adjust a bed didn't work and the handle on the cupboard over the sink was hanging by a screw. closeness to MTS center was a plus. Lobby was small and weird. Security was present and obvious which was needed with the lobby opening onto Portage Avenue. Didn't appreciate paying for parking when we left $11 for one night! Pool was small but perfect for the kids with small whirlpool and workout room righ beside it meant I could watch my kids while on the treadmill. Hotel was very clean and staff (over 175 I was told) were all very polite and helpful. Overall I would stay again if I could afford it. $279 per night!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank BIAFF
Reviewed January 17, 2009

Stayed for the first time at the Radisson in Winnipeg. Arrived in the lobby......It is wierd set up as the lobby is small and just something about it as it is not very inviting or can be used for a general meeting place. It is just blah as there is nothing there other than checking in. No lounge or restaurant etc., just a small store for general sundry items that is also somewhat glassed off. Not sure how to explain this but it just does not have the full service hotel feel in the lobby. Only check in or out that's it.

The parkade is not underground heated like the Delta etc., it was very cold this week . very cold. and the parkade was the same although it had plug ins. It was not very clean at all.

Got into the elevator to go to the room on an upper floor - 25th - the elevators here for some reason are very cold. Got off the elevator and seen the doors to the rooms being old wood panelling. 80ish feel. Opened up the door to the room and an awful musty smell. Not very welcoming. The rooms definately NEED upgrading to say the least. The bed was comfortable . Not so sure about the sleep number bed. I definately like the Sheraton sweet sleeper or Westin heavenly way better. After the first night we asked to be changed to a king room as we were in a queen. The front desk clerk had no problems and was very accomodating and friendly. She did a great job in customer service.

We did not use the pool area or see it so cannot comment.

We ate the 12 resto lounge several times. It looks like it might have been newly renovated. We really enjoyed the colors and atmosphere as it had nice views and was never really busy. We both thought the food was very good - excellent. We really enjoyed this area and the food. Definite plus to the hotel.

I did notice this hotel to have more young people ; teens etc., staying here than others. I think there rates might be cheaper.

All in all it is close to the MTS center and right downtown. As Winnipeg only has a few good full service hotels downtown which would include the Delta & Fairmount ( my opinion ) IF this hotel does some major renovations; does something with the Lobby to make it more welcoming; clean up the parkade or enclose it someway with heat; and MARKET the heck out of the place...........this place COULD be GREAT and compete without a doubt with the Delta & Fairmont chains.

....but it is just not there yet.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank okop
Reviewed December 15, 2008

A group of 10 stayed at the Radisson on Dec 13, 2008. We had our rooms booked in advance, and chose the location for its close proximity to the MTS Center.

Check in went well. We had the rooms booked in advance and had confirmation numebrs available. We were given rooms on the 22nd floor which had a decent view of the city.

Parking in the parkade was intersting as we weren't exactly sure of where to go and if the "garage door" would open. We made it into the parkade and parked. The stairwell of the parkade is dark and dirty and would not be walking in there by myself as the hotel is not in the best neighbourhood.

The rooms were clean and had sleep number beds. The heater ran all night and was somewhat noisey, but it was -40 outside, so that was to be expected. The bathroom was clean and had good water pressure, shampoo & conditioner was provided.

We had breakfast the next morning in the restaurant. The meal was good, proabbly not worth the $12.00 they charged for bacon and eggs, but still very tasty.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at the hotel and would choose it again if attending an event at the MTS Center or was in town for meetings. If just going to the city for a weekend with the family I would not stay here as its reight in downtown and not the best area.

Also a note, we were charged $10.00 for parking, which I felt should have been included in the $129.00 they charge for a rooom per night.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank court2021
Reviewed December 11, 2008

Nice hotel in downtown Winnipeg. Nice, fast check in process. They gave me a high floor room (as I asked) that was quiet and comfortable.

I do a lot of work when I travel and Internet connectivity is critical. Most hotels (even the expensive ones) have TERRIBLE Internet services which is often made worse by poor wireless service. The Radisson has Wired internet service in all but the top 3 floors (the executive floors). So if you aren't paying top dollar (and staying in the top floors) you actually get better Internet service!

The room was comfortable but could use a refresh (just dated). Comfortable bed, slightly noisy air conditioner/heater but overall a reasonable stay for the money.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 19, 2008

We stayed in 15 hotels on our trip round Canada, and this was notably the worst - so bad I have complained. And it was mostly down to the staff. It was Halloween, and the hotel was not very full.

The bedroom had been refurbished, but it smelt awful - when I showered the next (early) morning it became evident it was the drain, really unpleasant.

However the worst thing was feeling unsafe and being unable to get help. There was some kind of party going on in a room opposite, a bunch of young lads. When we arrived at 7pm it had started, it was still going on when we went to bed at 11pm , and then through the night there were lots of male and female visitors who were very noisy in the corridor, with slamming doors and shouting. At 1am I rang reception - it went unanswered. I rang again later, no answer. With people now falling against our bedroom doorway we (two women) felt very vulnerable.

Since we could not reach staff we tried to doze, when we got up at 4am the party was still going on although now contained in the room.

We had booked a 4am alarm call and fortunately also set our phones - it arrived at 4.15, made by the person we eventually found at the front desk who gave me a stream of consciousness on the time, the weather, the forecast and then put the phone down before I could say anything. I rang down to get help with bags and to get a taxi as advised the night before - no answer, yet again.

When we got to the lobby the staff member looked very rough and said something like "you wouldn't believe the night we've had" (I do now wonder whether the party was hotel staff). I complained about the party, and he dispatched the bellhop immediately with some comment about "I don't have that kind of B-S in my hotel" - but since he hadn't been bothered to answer the phone all night, I don't know why he troubled with the macho posturing.

We met someone else who had stayed the same night as us, and whilst they did not have the party experience, they too could get no answer from the front desk when they needed to get a taxi at 4.30am.

All in all I feel let down, I stay at other Radisson hotels and have had much better experiences.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Linzini
Reviewed October 5, 2008

My family and I stayed at the Radisson in Downtown Winnipeg for a four night stay in July. Our travel agent booked our rooms as we had some special requirements; 4 rooms, one of which needed to be handicap accessible and one needed two double beds. The pictures on the hotel website seemed too good to be true and they were. Our rooms were not the beautiful ones shown on the website, they were the old, tired, and dirty rooms that were yet to be remodeled. The hotel booking agent never mentioned this fact but apparently this is why the hotel has many rate structures. Sleep number bed? Nope, didn't get that either. What did we get? We all were in rooms that had sagging mattresses, broken furniture, empty cabinets that once housed the mini-fridge, and very outdated bathrooms. The bathroom mirrors are so old that you can't see yourself clearly, there are no ventilation fans, and the showers were moldy (see pics).

I will give the hotel a thumbs-up for the updated bed linens and a nice restaurant. The parking ramp is height restricted at 6'6" and the valet service is very slow.

The hotel needs to be more honest with the status of the remodeling, I didn't see any construction activity while I was there, and what kind of room you're really getting.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank froggy0321