“Has Problems”

Ranked #14 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Minneapolis
“Has Problems”
Reviewed October 5, 2008

My family and I stayed at the Radisson in Downtown Winnipeg for a four night stay in July. Our travel agent booked our rooms as we had some special requirements; 4 rooms, one of which needed to be handicap accessible and one needed two double beds. The pictures on the hotel website seemed too good to be true and they were. Our rooms were not the beautiful ones shown on the website, they were the old, tired, and dirty rooms that were yet to be remodeled. The hotel booking agent never mentioned this fact but apparently this is why the hotel has many rate structures. Sleep number bed? Nope, didn't get that either. What did we get? We all were in rooms that had sagging mattresses, broken furniture, empty cabinets that once housed the mini-fridge, and very outdated bathrooms. The bathroom mirrors are so old that you can't see yourself clearly, there are no ventilation fans, and the showers were moldy (see pics).

I will give the hotel a thumbs-up for the updated bed linens and a nice restaurant. The parking ramp is height restricted at 6'6" and the valet service is very slow.

The hotel needs to be more honest with the status of the remodeling, I didn't see any construction activity while I was there, and what kind of room you're really getting.

• Liked — Location - you can walk anywhere
  • Disliked — Condition of the rooms
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank froggy0321

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Korean first
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed July 19, 2008

I was in Winnipeg for work and stayed 2 nights at this hotel. My room was on the 26th floor. There are renovations currently underway to update the rooms and I was happy that I was given a renovated room. I was pleased that there was no noise from the renovation work going on. The bed in the room is the Sleep Number bed, which allows the user(s) to customize the firmness of the mattress on their side of the bed using a wired control that inflates or deflates air chambers in the mattress. I was afraid I might not like the mattress but in the end I slept well. There is a spacious shower stall where the old bathtub must've been. If you like taking baths, you might want to ensure your room has a bathtub before booking. I also used the fitness centre, which had relatively new equipment. The hotel is a block or so away from Portage Place which has a number of shops and fast food establishments. There is also a Moxie's down the street. Overall I was very pleased with this hotel.

• Liked — Newly renovated rooms
  • Disliked — Business centre had very slow internet connection and only has 2 computers.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed February 11, 2008

I enjoyed my stay at the Radisson. The location is ideal for downtown and the staff is very nice. The food at the restaurant is very good and the wait staff very attentive. Plus, the prices didn't seem too outrageous for hotel food.

The only downsides that I would say are that the fitness facilities are just average and the in-room internet is EXTREMELY slow. The internet connection is about dial-up speed, so if you're traveling for business, it might be difficult to use your computer.

My experience is that this hotel is sold-out often, so book early.

• Liked — The location is great and the staff good
  • Disliked — The internet connection is really, really slow
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank TalksInMaths
winnipeg
Reviewed February 9, 2008

All in all we had a good atay at the Rdisson in Winnipeg, I expecially like the sleep # beds. However I do have 1 or 2 concerns, we were NOT informed @ C/I that the Hot tub Whirlpool was closed for renevations, also we were supposed to pay for our 2nd nightd dtsy hsving hsd s free 1st night stay, but when we recieved out bill we had only been charged for the Movie that we had rented, and had to go to the Front Desk & inform them of the mistake.. Something should have been written in the notes of our reservation

• Liked — The Sleep # Bed
  • Disliked — That we were Not informed about Pool renevations @ Check In
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Saskatchewan
Reviewed October 29, 2007

We stayed at the hotel because of the convient location. It is located next to the MTS centre and we attended a concert there. We had a CAA executive room. We had a view of the city including The Forks. The view from out window was scewed by the layers of dirt on the outside but it was still nice. We had a king size sleep number bed which we hated but that is just our personal preference. The room
was clean and very neat. The bathtub could use some updating but it was fine. Despite there being a large number of concert goers staying
there it was very quiet. The elevators were often slow when you were waiting for them at the lobby but there were quick to get you up to your floor. There is a parking garage attached to the hotel which seemed relatively secure considering the location. Overall we were very pleased with our experience.

• Liked — The location (it was very close to the place the concert was)
  • Disliked — The location ( it is downtown Winnipeg)
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Audgirl
northamptonshire
Reviewed October 28, 2007

Still undergoing upgrades but the rooms were clean and very comfortable although air con was very noisy on return trip.
Would be good if room service ran 24 hour as flights often mean you get there late and as a lone woman travelling it is not advisable in the downtown area to explore after dark .
Staff very welcoming and helpful.

• Liked — beds very very comfortable
  • Disliked — no 24 hour room service
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
Virginia
Reviewed July 7, 2006

A nice hotel in the midst of downtown. I picked this hotel because of the price I got for my four day stay (US $74 - AAA rate) and because they are 100% dog friendly. The rooms with the upgraded beds (sleep number beds) are very nice. All rooms have free high speed Internet (no wireless), and cable TV. There is a very nice pool/hot tub in the hotel as well as a restaurant (didn't try it). The hotel itself is right off Portage Ave, so its a few blocks away from the financial district and the shopping mall (Portage Place). Next door is the MTS center (a big sports arena) with a GREAT restaurant (Moxie's). The hotel staff was very friendly and courteous. They loved my dog (nice pooch, eh?) and graciously moved me to a nicer room when I asked for it. (started out in a room with a very small window and a not so comfortable bed). The hotel itself is kept very clean (parking garage is scary, though - very dirty/beat up). The hotel is about a mile away from the Forks recreation/tourist area, not a bad walk. The only real drawbacks about the hotel was that two of its four elevators weren't working over the weekend, causing waits of over 5 minutes to get a ride up or down. Plus, there was a large bowling convention/tourney being held and a couple hundred of them were staying in the hotel. The sad thing was that this was a holiday weekend (Canada Day) and they couldn't get anyone out to fix the elevators. Aside from that major bummer, the place was very nice. If you drive to Winnipeg, be sure to have a car alarm/ignition disabling device, or a steering wheel "club." Winnipeg is having a big problem with car theft. The parking garage at this hotel takes up several floors of the hotel itself, and didn't seem to have any problems with theft/security.

• Stayed July 2006