“Mixed Feelings” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Brandon, Vermont
“Mixed Feelings”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2010

The staff was okay and the food was edible, not much more than that. I went down to breakfast an hour before my meeting and was late for the meeting, that's how long it took to get seated. My room was sort of clean, but the floor looked like it could be vacuumed more thouroughly. There was a bug on my pillow, the kind of which I had never seen. I flipped up the mattress to look for bed bugs but there was no sign of them, just hair (which disgusted me). It turns out the the bug I saw was a juvenile bed bug. When I got home and found this information out I called the Viscount and the woman I reported it to didn't seem at all surprised. I realize that they need business and that if a bed bug outbreak in the hotel was public knowledge their business would drop drastically. However; I don't appreciate the fact at all that I wasn't warned and didn't take precautions to make sure that I didn't bring the infestation home with me.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank mikkyofman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2010

Lovely modern lobby; great Thanksgiving meal; friendly staff, chic bar alcove by a fireplace. BUT dingy room, badly cooked breakfasts, dirty halls, and piles of beer cartons and empties right beside the bar nook. Very uneven quality. Attention is clearly not being paid to the details. The "business centre" was two desktop PCs, screens facing the lobby, right beside the reception desk - completely public. The pool was overly chlorinated. Our room had a window that opened, but was right beside the HVAC exhaust/intakes, which roared. There are better hotels the same distance from downtown, in the same price range.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank ScotianTripper
Winnipeg
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2010

THIER CUSTOMER SERVICE IN THE RESTAURANT SUCKS BIG TIME
I have worked near the Viscount for 5 years and go there on a very regular basis to have breakfast with my spouse. I bring dozens of people there and know some of the servers by name. I go there often for lunch with my co-workers, friends and relatives and up until now, I bragged about how nice their renovations were. In September 2010 alone, I have been there no less than 10 times with many people. This morning we went as per usual to have the breakfast special and were treated horribly by staff who said we had to buy 2 coffees instead of 1 coffee to get the special. We had to send back our breakfasts as the toast was burnt and the bacon undercooked. Then the "So called Manager" said she would rather lose our business, and did not care that we were regualr customers and did not care that we would not be returning, that it was "Their Policy" to make customers buy a coffee even though they did not make us buy 2 coffees in the past and even though it is not posted outside on their sign and that this was the first we heard of this. They did thousands of dollars in renovations only to hire incompetent staff who would rather embarrass and disrespect their customers and lose thousands of dollars in NEW BUSINESS for a $1.89 coffee.............................. I WILL NEVER GO BACK THERE.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 1luscious1
regina, sask
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2010

The Viscout is in a great location amenity-wise, beside Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Polo Park Mall. The lobby is fantastically renovated. The west side elevators could use some assistance as they only held two people with luggage. The halls were somewhat dirty and could have used a regular once-over with a vaccuum. My room was clean and had new furniture - the bed and pillows were fantastic! I had a balcony which was nice. The room was small but perfect for me because I was alone. Nice restaurant and fairly friendly staff.

HOWEVER...... the Viscount is not in a great location, civic-address-wise..... on the corner of Highway 90 and Portage Ave.

Do NOT take a west-facing room! These rooms run adjacent to highway 90 - which has CONSTANT non-stop traffic..... firetrucks, ambulances, transport trucks, diesels, not to mention the hundreds of cars. It's a six lane highway which goes right underneath Portage Ave. The underpas has walls on each side and a high boulevard in the middle of the six lanes - perfect for the echo to be absorbed by the closest building - The Viscount. I imagine that you could probably not be too annoyed by this if you're just there for a night or maybe two, but after seven nights, trust me, you will just be looking for some silence somewhere.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Saskatchewan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights and it was very nice. The hotel has been renovated and we barely recgonized it when we arrived. The staff was very nice and we had a very nice end room with a couch and flatscreen tv. The restaurant has also been renovated very nicely and the free breakfast was very good. Get there earlier though as it ends at 9:30am and was also very busy around that time. Highly recommend and we will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2010

it was a great stay the first nite wasnt so good wasnt bad but it got better went down in the morning to talk with manager she is a real credit to her professon and her staff is great to. the room had some problems so the day manager upgraded us to a better room no extra charge i would stay again great place great ppl great food close to everything this was a 5 star stay keep up the good work everybody i use to go to the cort when i was young was my old stomping ground wow she has changed thanks all for all u did

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Cromwell, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2010

Where do you start? having had a very long drive, we asked the young receptionist for a quiet room. She gave us one on the main highway at the front of the building. Traffic noise was horrendous! Air conditioner was broken so we couldn't close the window. Fridge was broken and leaking all over the floor.
We complained and were given another room, but the receptionist didn't tell us that it was in another wing of the hotel, so we spent 10/15 minutes looking for a room that apparently didn't exist. Eventually we were told where it was and found the room. It was unbelieveable. The noise in this room was even worse. It had the highway on one side and the off-ramp on the other and sounded as if the traffic was coming through the room.
Again we complained and this time the duty manager offered to put us in a "quiet" room. Why the receptionist didn't do this to start with we have no idea, but we had had enough and decided to leave. (in the middle of the night).

The corridor outside the 2nd room and the elevator leading up to it were filthy. I had complained to the receptionist when we first arrived, but nothing was done. The duty manager had no knowledge of this when I told him 2 hours later. The duty manager told me that it was the receptionists 1st night on the desk on her own and that she didn't seem to be able to cope. I agree, in fact a previous contributor summed it up by saying that the staff are all "airheads".

This is the worst hotel experience I have ever had. Wouldn't go near the place again if you paid me to.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple