“Not bad. Not great either.”

Hilton Winnipeg Airport Suites
Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed November 2, 2010

The Hilton Suites Winnipeg is generally not bad, but is slipping a bit in comparison with other Hilton properties, especially those using the "Hilton" brand. Its more the standard of some of the older Doubletrees/Hamptons. It may just have been the room we ended up with, but some things were starting to look a little worn (frayed/stained carpets, mould around the tub, poorly-flushing toilet, broken/loose bathroom fittings, broken closet door, etc.). To their credit, they have added nice flat panel tvs, Bose radios with Pod docks, and quality room amenities. The pool/whirlpool/sauna area is very nice, but with a really strange way to get to it involving a trip down a fire stairwell (we did eventually find an alternate unsigned route that was better for accessibility). One thing I noticed was a marked difference between this property and others I have stayed at recently in terms of gold/diamond 'honors' customer service. Many other Hilton family properties are bending over backwards these days for customer retention. The Winnipeg Hilton, perhaps because it is the only Hilton family hotel in that city, is not nearly as concerned with maintaining repeat customers. Not a big deal, but conspicuously different from recent experience elsewhere. I also noticed that updated customer service standards recently instilled at other Hilton Family hotels (check-in procedures, room cleaning, staff greetings, etc.) have not been adopted here. I do have to make an exception for the restaurant staff who were excellent. In sum, the Winnipeg Hilton is okay, but I think I might look around for other options next time.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 26, 2010

We have stayed here a few times now, most times when we are in the city on business. Staff are very friendly and efficient. Rooms are clean well appointed - lots of pillows and the bed comfortable. Just a quick note to those who use the internet to work while away from the office - the wifi at this hotel is excellent - we have found that most wifi in hotels is very slow but this hotel's wifi exceeded our expectations.

The pool and hot tub were great - there was noise in the pool area but folks I spoke to were staying right next to the pool area and said that the rooms were very well sound proofed and they didn't hear any pool noise once the inner doors were closed between the rooms. We have found that we love the doors between the rooms within the suite as well - closes out all noise from hallways.

My husband told me that he thinks the Hilton doesn't charge enough for what they offer, however, this is Winnipeg - they only charge what the market bears. I, for one, am glad they only charge what they do - that way we get to stay here more often!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Stayed two nights at this Hilton. Restaurant dinner servings were very good and plentiful. Prices including hotel rate was reasonable. Very close to Airport. Also close to a major mall which was good for shopping and finding additional restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2010

It reminded me of the Seinfeld skit where Jerry tells the car rental agent, "You know how to take the reservation. You just don't know how to keep the reservation. And that's the important part!" We booked a room with two double beds and arrived after a very late flight to find that the ony room they could give us had a king with a sofa pull out. I was travelling with 3 other family members including my 75 year old mother in law and I have chronic back problems so needless to say it was a sleepless night for me with a lot of pain next morning. Complained bitterly to the front desk in the morning but got no satisfaction at all. We will not be staying here again. I mean what is the point of guaranteeing a reservation to your credit card if they are just going to ignore it!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Hilton1800, Guest Services at Hilton Winnipeg Airport Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2010

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We would like to take this early opportunity to apologize if there was any misunderstanding with your room type at check in. I would encourage you to contact us directly, in the hopes that we may offer further clarification and communication on this matter.
At Hilton Suites Winnipeg Airport we strive to exceed your expectations, and we thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed October 8, 2010

I stayed with my partner in a pool side room for one night. The service was excellent and the hotel was very clean. Our room was very cozy and surprisingly quiet for a poolside room. It suited us perfectly. If you're looking for a hotel in Winnipeg for one night, I would most definitely recommend staying here. However, if you're looking to stay longer, it isn't really near anywhere within walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2010

Have stayed here several times over the years, even before it was a Hilton(used to be Radisson) and there has been noted improvement over time. Have never found all the staff to be anything but friendly, professionaI also recall the chap with the tattoos on the front desk, but do not think this is an issue if he did his job well, which he did at least when I dealt with him.

The restaurant and staff there are all excellent. The smaller plate dishes all great value and the food has dramatically improved over the years. I have stayed in numerous Hiltons and thought that the hotel is pretty much up to standard.

It is an airport hotel, and as expected the area is industrial.
All in all I think it is a very good choice for Winnipeg.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 11, 2010

This hotel is a Hilton, yes. Although, Hilton standards are greatly lacking here. This was my fist time to Winnipeg, and I really enjoyed the city, it was a hidden gem, but you can do better with your money (hotel wise).

Guest Rooms: Out-dated (big time). The carpet was dirty and full of stains, that and the furniture seemed to be original, from the 80's. The rooms had an old smell to them, there was no trace of freshness at all.

Hotel Staff: The shuttle driver and shuttle service was great. It was fast, and I didn't have to lift a finger. The front desk staff was great, helpful and really outgoing. Front desk uniforms here were a joke, and extremely unprofessional. Females had black golf T's and males this kind of black turtle neck ( it was interesting). There was a front desk gentleman covered in tattoos (I guess the supervisor), not only did it look unprofessional, but it looked ridiculous for a Hilton property. I came down at one point to re activate my key and over heard him swear, and talk extremely inappropriately to his staff. He also had his cell phone with him and the ringer on? common now.

The Location: The area is really industrial and the roads need some work. There are some places in the area to eat, subway, Asian food, Denny's, and a steakhouse. The food at the hotel was great and I would advise to give it a try if you are staying there.

If you are considering staying here merely for your Hilton H Honors points, I would consider exploring other options...

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Hilton1800, Guest Services at Hilton Winnipeg Airport Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2010

Dear Guest:
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We greatly appreciate the positive comments regarding our complementary shuttle service, shuttle driver, and helpful and outgoing front desk team.
Please allow me this early opportunity to apologize if anyone on our team showed a lack of professionalism at any time during your stay. At Hilton Suites Winnipeg Airport it is our goal to exceed your expectations and from your review there were times where we fell short of those expectations. Allow me to assure you we will be following up with the relevant team members to ensure such issues don't arise for our future guests. We hope to have another opportunity to WOW you the next time you are in Winnipeg and thank you again for your continued loyalty.