“Great staff but dated hotel”

Canad Inns Polo Park
Ranked #51 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Alberta
“Great staff but dated hotel”
Reviewed December 7, 2009

I travel a lot for a living and I see a lot of things during my travels in regards to hotels. I stayed at this hotel for business. The service I received for the hotel staff was great. They were extremely helpful and answered all of my questions thoroughly. The lady who checked me in also informed me that my packages had arrived and assisted me with putting them on the cart. And the restaurant had extremely good food and this was a great thing as the weather was getting cold in Winnipeg and I didn't feel like driving to a restaurant.

The things I didn't like were the noisy elevators. My room was right next to the elevator and all night I could here them go up and down. Make sure that you ask to stay in a room away from them. It's amazing how all the noise will keep you awake. Another thing....their gym needs major improvement. The equipments are in bad shape and need to be replaced. (Both treadmills, the stairclimbers, and the bikes in the back.) The hot tub is right next to a window besides the gym. The problem is that there were 2 guys enjoying the hot tub but it was awkward to work out because you could literally face them. Who likes to have the feeling of being watched by either side?

This hotel is good for business travels but I would think twice if I had to stay there for personal vacations.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Winnipeg
Reviewed November 2, 2009

My friend and I thought we would do a "bring the kids to a theme room fun night" at Polo Park. Well when we got to the hotel we sat around for a half hour because our room was not ready yet. Then when we did get into the "theme room" we thought they had given us the wrong room but to our surprise it wasn't a "theme room" but a theme closet. We were not happy but the kids thought it was ok, so we said let's go for it. We decided to go for a swim and the pool was an ice bath very cold. After a while we went back up to the room it was like we were in a sauna. We couldn't get a fan or change rooms so we were up all night sweating our pants off ,so to make a long night short I wouldn't go back if you payed me.

• Stayed June 2008
1 Thank themeroom

Travelers are raving about these Winnipeg hotels

Saskatchewan
Reviewed September 14, 2009

The security in the hotel is non-existent. We were able to check into each others' rooms without having the proper name on the room. One day our magnetic keys stopped working and we went to the front desk to have them re-activated...they didn't even ask us who we were they just took our word for it that we were the people from that room and activated the keys! Our car was stolen from the parking lot just in front of the hotel. Our credit card was charged for not only our room but for someone else's and the hotel hasn't returned our calls with respect to this matter. On the upside, the food is good and the value of the meals is decent. Rooms were generally clean but pricey for what you get. Room service trays were set outside rooms and were not picked up for an entire day! You can do better elsewhere!

• Stayed September 2009
1 Thank sasktrippers
the peg
Reviewed July 14, 2009

Great central yet SAFE location, close to downtown super close to airport & across the street from the stadium. Good breakfast for money at hotel restaurant.Lively patio late night and before football games for entertaining. down the street from major mall and big box shopping centers. rooms are comfy not overly anything special, but decently priced. I agree to stay away from the pool, it's complete child drop off center chaos.But the gal at the front desk Mandy, was nothing short of a sweetheart, she made our stay!highly recommend her!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Canada
Reviewed April 6, 2009

My Boyfriend and I went to the Canada Inns because the website boasted a large pool, gym, hot tub and a great place for couples. Let's just say I would not wish this hotel on my worst enemy!!! first off there were kids EVERYWHERE the pool was merely a landing pad for the waterslide and had about 20 kids in it at all times... the 1 and only hottub was also full at all times. Our room was fine except for the fact that the walls are paper thin and the noise from the ice machine sounds as if Darth Vader is hiding out in your bathroom.... We were in a regular room on the 5th floor and there was no chance of intamacy as you could hear the conversations in the room next to us and people (kids especially ) running, laughing screaming and yelling up and down the hallways non stop. We tried to rent a movie on the tv and it was out of service. When we complained to the front desk, they brushed us off and said they needed to dial a 1800 number but that it was not the first thing on their list. We tried to order drinks to our room and it cost us $20 for 2 Pina Colodas and took room service about an hour to deliver them. The next day after a terrible sleep as there was bar music thumping in our room and people roaming the hallways, we asked to be upgraded to a different room. They gave us a theme room at no extra cost, only it was across the hallway from our other room. The wall was dented, the hot tub was dirty, and the room smelled humid. The ice machine was equally as loud in this room. Again, we could not be intimate due to kids running up and down the hallway screaming. We actually started laughing about it becuase the situation was so ridiculous. we again tried to order room service at around 930 PM and after dialling for 20 minutes, there was still no answer.

Overall 2 nights at the worst hotel EVER cost us about $325. I feel ripped off.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank iwish29
winnipeg
Reviewed January 12, 2009

the security kicked us out after one warning to turn or music down when we unplugged it their was people runnin up and down our floor it was nobody from our room and the security gaurds knocked on our door and said there is report that u guys in this room are running up and down the halls mean while it was a bunch of girls in skirts from another room down the hall they didnt listen to us or give us another warning they just kicked us out with nowhere to go please i advise u all to stay away from this hotel it's really [--]!!!!!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Beausejour
Reviewed December 19, 2008

Friends held wedding at the Canad Inns Polo Park. Wedding itself was excellent however, about 80% of guests were from out of town so consequently, booked rooms at the hotel. This experience was absolutely TERRIBLE! The staff expected all visitors to leave the wedding and go directly to bed. We had to be in our rooms by 2 a.m. We were not allowed to talk or visit with other guests of the wedding.

The staff stupidly did not have the wedding guests' rooms booked in one block. We were scattered throughout the hotel and understandably, the other guests were not impressed with those coming back from the wedding. We were told repeatedly to keep it down and in all honesty were just visiting with friends at a reasonable level. We were told that we could not visit. And eventually even told that "people from the country should not be in a city hotel."

Tried complaining to management about the lack of experience of the staff with the organization of the guests in the hotel however was told that opinion did not matter because the wedding guests were the problem. I did not take any Hotel Management courses but common sense would tell a person to have all the wedding guests on one floor so as not to disturb other guests.

The wedding couple was not happy with the treatment of the Canad Inns staff nor were the guests. I will never return to this hotel nor attend a wedding at this hotel. I do not understand why they would even advertise themselves for hosting a wedding when they expect all guests to leave the wedding and go directly to bed. This might be an ideal thought but is it realistic??? I think not.

• Liked — Not a thing.
  • Disliked — Where do I begin....?
  • Stayed October 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Kello17