“Used to be a nice place”

Canad Inns Polo Park
Ranked #51 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Edmonton, Canada
“Used to be a nice place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

We stayed here while our realtor held an open house at our home. We were there a Friday and Saturday night and were somewhat limited on where we could stay as we had a small dog with us. Figuring the waterside would be fun for our daughter, we thought this was a good choice.

Once upon a time, this Canad Inn was fairly nice. Not anymore! Total party hotel! We had to phone down both nights because of people fighting in the halls at 3 am. The restaurant was terrible. I saw the same food out for the Sunday Brunch as was out for the Saturday lunch - same soups, same puddling (although now dried out). It was gross. On Saturday evening, one of the two elevators broke, so we were limited to one. I would have been happy to take the stairs except you have to go through the pool area bad I didn't want to walk the dog around the pool.

When we checked in, there was a large binder left behind from a previous guest. Makes you wonder what else housekeeping missed. Ew.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Jay E, Manager at Canad Inns Polo Park, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Hello Donna,

My name is Jay Elgert I am the Assistant General Manager here at the hotel and I wanted to first off thank you for taking the time to send us in your comments about your most recent visit with us. Feed back is a gift to me and without we would never know where to make improvements or where to celebrate.

I was a little disappointed as you were about your visit. We strive for perfection and we know perfection isn’t always attainable but we work together to try and give every guest the best possible experience and on this visit we did not deliver that experience at all. In turn we gave you a memorable visit just not in a positive light. I do recall this evening that you mentioned in your posting and I wish I could take it back.

On behalf of all of us here at CI Polo Park we would like to apologize for your experience and we will work together to make sure this does not happen again in the future.

Once again Donna thank you for your time and we here at CI Polo Park hope to see you soon so we can give you that memorable experience once again and to improve on those areas you mentioned that needed some attention. If you are ever in town and would find it in your heart to give us that second chance please contact me directly at jelgert@canadinns.com I will make sure you are looked after and have an amazing experience here at CI Polo Park, like you should have had the first time.

Jay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Fort Frances, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

Entering the hotel I was very impressed, beautiful main floor and lobby. I had no issue with the service of this hotel or how I was treated by staff. The food at the main restaurant was alright aswell (not great, but not horrible). My issue with this hotel was the noise. I stayed here for three nights beginning on a Sunday. On Sunday night I was awaken 6 times between 12am and 3am from people yelling in the hallways. The hallways echo making the sounds worse then in an average hotel. I was at this hotel for a work conference with 50+ people and could not figure out why the hotel would put banquet guests on the same floor as working professionals who had a scheduled conference for 8 am the following morning. Monday night was no better. Between people running up and down the halls and doors slamming I got absolutely no sleep. I am currently about to spend my third night in this hotel, I am exhausted and dreading it. I have never wrote a negative review of any place I have ever stayed - but I would not recommend this hotel and will be notifying my employer not to book me here again. Also one elevator of two was broken so you had to wait 10+ minutes for an elevator.

Word of advice, pick another hotel.

Room Tip: Gosh good luck. We asked for the "quiet floor" and it was the noisiest hotel Ive ever stay...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Jay E, Manager at Canad Inns Polo Park, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to Canad Inns Destination Centre Polo Park. I would like to extend my apologies for your visit not meeting your expectations. I would welcome the opportunity to further discuss your experience with us at your convenience. I may be reached directly at jelgert@canadinns.com or office direct at 204-789-8871

Jay Elgert

Travelers are raving about these Winnipeg hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I got a themed room. The room itself was outdated, really cool but outdated. The tv needs to be updated. The ac in our room was broken, and clicked all night long we both got NO SLEEP! The beds and pillows are hard. The shower was cold, but they did discount us because we both could not sleep until we unplugged the ac. Over all not impressed. Didn't go into the pool, looked gross.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your most recent feedback. Great news is our rooms are currently under renovations and we will be introducing a new room product for you to experience. I would be honored, if you would be one of our first guests in these new rooms and provide us your thoughts on them. Once again our apologies for your recent experience but I believe this time you will be pleasantly surprised. I can be reached at jelgert@canadinns.com or directly at 204-789-8871

ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

After reading the most recent reviews I was a little leery about booking at this hotel but was pleasantly surprised. I got an excellent rate through Expedia so thought I would try the hotel and wish for the best. All of the staff were welcoming and helpful, comfortable clean rooms, and my son loved the water slide. The rooms were a little dry as the windows do not open but I find that with most hotels. The hotel is close to the mall, restaurants, and health sciences ctre. They allowed me late check out which I appreciate since I was waiting to see if my husband would be discharged from the hospital. I cannot complain about anything and we are going back this week again. I am assuming it will be another pleasant stay. I cannot rate the restaurant as we are a gluten free family so we have to be careful where we eat and did not eat at the hotel restaurant. From my experience I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear valued Guest,

Thank you for your most recent comments. We were excited to hear that your visit with us was a great one. Just so you are aware our culinary teams under goes various training routines for all the different requests our guests may have or need. Our team would be honored to assist with your Gluten free requests. Next time you are in, stop by, and let our team dazzle you once again.

Assistant General Manager
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

We called the hotel ahead of arrival at 2:30 pm to see if we could get an early check in because my daughter was feeling ill. No dice from the woman at front desk. We arrived at about 3pm and were told that the room wasnt ready. After sitting in the lobby until 4 pm our room keys were placed on the front desk by the attendant without any explanation as to the location of the room, which room it was, or the attractions available at the hotel

When we finally got to our room it smelled like soiled carpet and cheap cologne. The toilet was also plugged solid upon arrival. The maintenance man who was kind, tried for an hour to fix the toilet to no avail. Relocating was not an option. He did offer $30 voucher off of food here at the hotel.

So we took him up on the offer and ordered room service. With a commitment of the food being in our room within 20 minutes it didnt arrive until an hour later. Cold.

By that time our door had been silly stringed twice by the children running rampant on our floor. My daughter was feeling better so we decided to head to the pool because that was one of the main reason we decided to stay here.

Unfortunately the main pool was freezing the left side of the pool was pumping cold water while right was pumping luke warm water. The traffic sensor was not working in the slide so kids were flying around everywhere. Its was nuts seeing a dozen kids under 12 running rampant without supervision. We left and decided to retire for the night.

By that time due to the toilet the room was smelling ripe. We went to bed at 10 pm. From 11pm to 337am kids enjoyed running up and down the hall banging on random doors waking us up every fifteen minutes.

Just a horrific experience. I will not stay here again nor will i recommend this place to the many frequent winnipeg visitors from my hometown. I would be ashamed if i were in charge of this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Buryd

BRANDON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is the second time in 2 years I've stayed here. It is reasonably-priced, the lobby is spacious, and the rooms are fine. I never hit any of the restaurants at the hotel but I've been to its Tavern United in other locations and it is always good, without question.

I left my car free-of-charge while I caught a flight so that was bonus. Some other hotels charge for this!

• Stayed September 2013
Jay E, Manager at Canad Inns Polo Park, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Hello D'Arcy B,

My name is Jay Elgert and I am the Assistant General Manager here at the hotel and wanted to first off thank you for the great comments. Feed back is a gift to me, without it I would never know where to make improvements or where to celebrate.

Here at Canad Inns Destination Centre Polo Park we pride ourselves on trying to deliver the best possible experience we can to every guest that comes through our doors. whether for a meeting, or dinning or to stay in one of our rooms. It appears we have been able to meet your needs once again.

The hotel will be going through some changes in the near future with some upgrades to our rooms and the addition of some new room types. On your next visit with us I would love to show case these to you and get your perspective on them.

Once again D'Arcy B thank you so much for your comments and we look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed at this location and after being able to spend time in the pool (left after about 15 mins as people had the deck chairs in the water), came back to room to shower and go to bed only to find out there was no hot water. Front desk said they hoped to have it fixed by the morning. They did but I was not offered anything for the inconvenience. I emailed the location and have not heard back.
Booked again for stay today, called this morning and asked about early check in and was told I could check in at 1. I got there at 1:50 and was told they hadn't even started to clean it yet.
I can safely say this will be the last time.
And I did try to email this Jay guy that comments on here but it was bounced back

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank kimb1971
Jay E, Manager at Canad Inns Polo Park, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Hello Kim B,

My name is Jay Elgert and I am the Assistant General Manager here at the hotel. First off want to apologize that you were not able to connect with me through email and it was bounced back.

Regardless of that I had the opportunity to review your comments and I do recall the hot water trouble that occurred do to one of our large boilers going down. Very similar to a home hot water tank when it breaks leaves one heck of a mess to clean and could take time to repair. We did however get the hot water back up and running with in the hour.

The biggest comment that stood out for me that we need to address is the level of service you received during your visit when you encountered some issues. We here at Polo Park pride our selves on the service aspect and trying to provide the best for every guest that comes through the door and give them a positive lasting memory of their visit and on this visit we did not deliver and for that please accept my apologies on behalf of everyone here at the hotel.

Kim, I would like to extend an invite for the near future or at your availability to come back on me and have the proper getaway you should have had the first time. We are doing some renovations to our rooms shortly and I would love to send you off an invite to experience our newest product and be my guest. I can be reached at jelgert@canadinns.com or by calling the hotel directly.

Once again Kim, thank you for your time and your feedback. Once again please accept our apologies for your experience.