“Mixed feelings”

Ranked #34 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

I didn't know what I was going to say about this hotel. Some things I really liked, and some things I hated. The longer we stayed, the harder it was to decide if I would stay here again.

The room: very old looking and definitely in need of a renovation. The beds were comfortable enough but the comforter was soooo loud! All you hear at night is SWISH SWISH SWISH.
They give you a fridge in the room, which is great. And we thought that it was the quietest hotel we had ever stayed in.

Housekeeping: staff was unbelievably great. They were very diligent in cleaning the room and even made me sign something when I declined cleaning. They really look after you that way.

The restaurant: I had a burger which was good, I liked the fries too. I thought it was pricey and only ate there once. Again, very old and worn looking furniture in desperate need of a reno. No continental breakfast which was disappointing.

Pool: we went once, this area is also desperately in need of a reno, the hot tub jets barely bubble and it's grungy looking. There is a kids play area that is closed off which is great if you want to sit in the hot tub and watch your kids play through the glass. We didn't do that, however, because there is an exit door attached to the play room that people kept coming in and out of, this was disconcerting (I kept imagining someone luring children through the door, creepy)

Staff: i don't have much to say as we didn't interact with many staff members. I noticed they were always very fast when we asked them to bring something to our room.

Best part: definitely the best was that we arrived very early in the morning and we had no where else to go in winnipeg, so the staff worked really hard to get us into a room quickly. And the price, I booked on Hotwire and got a phenomenal deal.

The worst: the hotel is just so outdated, really needs a Reno in the rooms, pool and restaurant. No security on the back (parking lot) door or the elevators either. Some more attention to the fine details and this could be a hotel I would loyally stay at.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Rudoskis
MikeGore, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment in such a candid manner. Feedback from our guests is always appreciated as it gives us the opportunity to evaluate our everyday efforts and make changes as required. Rest assured, I have reviewed your comments with our team and steps will be taken to address the items you mentioned. You will be pleased to hear that we are embarking on a complete refurbishment of the guest rooms and public areas of the hotel which will be completed over the next few months. We hope that you have the opportunity to visit us later this year to witness the transformation. Please do not hesitate to call me at 204 452 -4747 if I may be of any further assistance to you.

Mike Gore

Reviewed February 10, 2014

Good vehicle access, pleasant staff, clean common rooms. Workout room was quiet, and well kept up. Great Sunday breakfast buffet. Thanks for the experience. We'll be back next year to this convenient location for our conference.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
MikeGore, Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Thank you so much for your continued business and thank for talking the time to provide us with some feedback. We take great pride in our facility and in the products and services we offer and we feel even more proud when kind people, like yourself, take the time to comment in this way. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Winnipeg.

Mike Gore

Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed at this hotel several times over the last 4 years with group functions and they are quite accommodating for those situations, but I recently went there with my wife and 2 young children on an excursion to Winnipeg for one night and got to take it in from a family point of view. The staff were all very good at their jobs, but did not seem excited to help in any more than the most minimal way, and save one gentleman at the desk, and some of the restaurant staff, not much for smiles either. The lobby is nice, the pool is very small and set up for children. The double queen room we stayed in had bedding that was too light for the temperature that they left the room at, so we needed to raise the temperature considerably at night. The bathroom ceiling was only seven feet high, and had a heat lamp instead of a fan, definitely a dangerous combo and very uncomfortable for us taller folk after a shower. The small fridge made a terrible noise when it would go off of its"cycle", waking me up several times in the night. The restaurant had excellent burgers, even at the price, but needs more selection between their price point and the very expensive entrees. Pizza shouldn't be the only item between 10 and 22 dollars! The kids eat free deal is great, but I feel the breakfast buffet should have been free to guests, it's similar to what most best western hotels give for free. All in all, this hotel gets to show that it has a large quantity of amenities, and it feels like a nice hotel when you walk around it, but it just comes up short on every part of the experience. A missed opportunity by a usually fine hotel chain.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank aarman4
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Dear aarman4,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent visit. We are sincerely sorry for not being able to deliver a commendable experience on this occasion. We regret the inconvenience you may have had with the room you were given and if your dining experience was below par. Kindly be assured that we have noted your concerns and these shall be addressed aptly with our team to consider for improvements.

While we understand your visit was not 100% satisfactory, we hope you can give us another opportunity in the future to make your stay as best as it can be.

Regards,

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed December 26, 2013

On my yearly trip to Winnipeg I always chose the holiday inn Winnipeg south, from the shuttle driver (sorry I forgot his name) to the staff at the desk, I alwAys feel super welcome, and am treated like they care about the traveller!
I always make sure I return when I am in the peg!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
MikeGore, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Thanks Gil, Is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us once again. Its always a pleasure to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Winnipeg South. I have shared your comments with the team.
We will work on the weather and try to make it warmer for you on your next visit. Maybe you should come in June next time, that way we can guarantee it won't be minus 30. Looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last month for work.

as usual Holiday Inn was great

it was pretty busy but everything was perfect !
room was great, pillows bed etc all good.
just love the perogie pizza, a must try !!

Room Tip: Executive rooms seems to be the best
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
MikeGore, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment about your experience at the Holiday Inn Winnipeg South. We were so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. I have shared your comments with our entire team and we all look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again in the future.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Room and service were pretty standard. Close to Missions Fest and fast food. Had to rent a car to find a good restaurant though. Hotel restaurant is expensive. Good service. Very glad they had lots of plug-ins for our car rental

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
MikeGore, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your visit to Winnipeg. We appreciate that you took the time to submit a review to Trip Advisor. We were certainly pleased to learn that you enjoyed our stay with us and that our staff members were able to assist you efficiently. We have recently updated our menus in Southwinds and try to offer a variety of selections at different price points, we hope that you visit the restaurant on your next visit to see what we have to offer.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay. The staff were all very friendly, whether it be front desk, restaurant, housekeeping, always a smile and a Hi! I didn't find the area bad at all, and the oarking was fine, spots are a little tight. The bed was so comfy, and I was impressed to find a newspaper and an envelope under my door when I woke up at 6:30, my receipt for my stay so I didn't have to go check out. Will definitely be back. :)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience at the Holiday Inn Winnipeg South. We were all very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and have shared your positive review with our entire team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.