“Glacial Internet”

Holiday Inn Winnipeg South
Ranked #33 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
“Glacial Internet”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I have stayed at this location several times.

I am a regular business traveller and pretty loyal to Holiday Inn ( partly due to their exceptional loyalty program ) .

I just land here because I know this area now and it has a semi good restaurant. The food is average and the menu is pretty limited but the service staff are friendly as are the front desk employees.

I drove here from Thompson MB and at The Best Western Thompson ( the middle of nowhere ) I had crystal clear, speedy internet. In the largest city in the province, the internet is horrible and is obviously limited to cut costs. In 2012 when Thompson can get it right, it is a sin for a Holiday Inn to be represented by such misers who try and boost their bottom line by going lean on such an essential service.

As a Platinum Priority Club Member, I was given a bottle of water and a cookie in a ziplock bag.

The parking would be a challenge for a nervous driver. On the plus side the parking lot is located directly beside a police station so there is a sense of vehicle security that you might not enjoy at the downtown location.

I read in a previous review that there is a Polo Park Holiday Inn opening. They will get my business next trip to Manitoba.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MikeGore, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for your candid comments. We certainly appreciate how frustrating slow internet service can be and recognize the importance that this particular amenity has to our valued guests. The increased demand put on our wireless system with more and more guests using laptops and hand held devices, downloading movies, music etc. does impact the speed with which the system responds.

During particularly high demand periods the system may slow down and the demand is becoming greater almost every month. We did increase our capacity recently and are in the process of increasing our bandwidth once again to increase our capacity further.

We trust that on your next stay at our hotel you will find the situation to be greatly improved.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Hannon
Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights....had to put up with a noisy fridge and toilet for 2 nights....after complaining 3x they told me that they had to order a part....I asked to be moved and they agreed. Then I had to deal with cold showers for 3 mornings. Shower would be hot and 1-2 min.....the water would go cold......then 1-2min later it would get a little warmer. Internet is also extremely slow. I wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of your experience at our hotel.
We certainly apologize for the problems that you encountered during your stay. The plumbing issues and the refrigerator noise you mentioned are not typical of our hotel nor are they acceptable. We thank you for taking the time to bring them to our attention. Rest assured these situations have been addressed and corrected.
With regards to your comments concerning the internet – from time to time during exceptionally high demand periods our wireless high speed internet system does slow down . I understand how frustrating this can be. We are in the process of increasing our bandwidth to minimize the occurrence of these situations.
We thank you for your understanding and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel again in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Winnipeg hotels

The Pas, Canada
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Travelers beware! I booked this hotel on expedia as it was an affordable option and they advertised a complimentary airport shuttle. It wasn't until I arrived to check-in that I was told you have to BOOK THE SHUTTLE 24 HOURS IN ADVANCE. I needed to leave for the airport by 8am and they had no shuttles running prior to this time and it was booked until 8:45am. If I had of known that I was going to have to pay all the extra money for a cab, I would NEVER have booked with this hotel. I am mostly upset that the advertising was misleading; I've stayed at other hotels closer to the airport and have never needed to make shuttle reservations that far in advance before so I was not aware that I would have to do it this time.

I will not stay here again, nor would I recommend it to any other fellow travelers.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
MikeGore, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We thank you, especially for bringing the misleading information on the Expedia website to our attention. I certainly empathize with your frustration. It was not our intention to mislead our guests or falsely advertise our services.
The Holiday Inn Winnipeg South does offer an airport shuttle for the convenience of our guests. As we are not an airport area hotel, our shuttle runs limited hours and we do require advance notification of shuttle requirements so that we may schedule a driver.
The Expedia website does not accurately outline the details of our shuttle service. We have been in contact with Expedia to get this changed. We have been assured by Expedia that more accurate information regarding our services will be posted on their website.
We thank you again for your comments and apologize for any inconvenience this situation may have caused.
Regina, Canada
Reviewed August 30, 2012

The hotel and staff are great. Check in and out is a breeze, and the staff always greet you with a smile and a hello. The rooms are decently priced. The rooms are clean and well kept, and the beds are comfortable.

The only complaint I have is about the restaurant, the service was fine, but the food took forever when we dined there twice for breakfast. There was only 3 tables in the whole restaurant, and it took at least 25 minutes for bacon and eggs and pancakes.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
MikeGore, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to submit a review of your experience at the Holiday inn Winnipeg South. We are pleased to hear that you enjoy staying with us and truly appreciate your loyalty. I have passed your comments on to our team.

Thank you also for your candid comments regarding the timing of the food service delivery. Rest asssured, I have discussed this with our Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager as well as their respective teams. Steps have been taken to improve our performance in this area. Thank you again, we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.
Northwestern Ontario
Reviewed August 27, 2012

great hotel for a reasonable price, Osborne village nearby, easy access to downtown, Portage Avenue, Polo Park, near U of M and Bombers Stadium. Rooms are clean, comfy, modern. We have a huge vehicle, Sierra, and the parking on the first two levels is crazy tiny and very difficult to navigate if the hotel is full. Head to uncovered parking on the 3rd level where it is so much easier to navigate. This is so not an issue...just a heads up. Stay here for overnight Wpg, trips!

Room Tip: do NOT stay in smoking rooms, always pick the non-smoking rooms!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank GloriousLakeSuperior
MikeGore, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We pride ourselves in our convenient location, friendly staff and fine facility. We greatly appreciate your positive comments. Also thank you for mentioning parking for larger vehicles. In addition to the third level of the parkade, we also have a number of reserved parking spots, designated specifically for larger vehicles, on the ground level on north side of the hotel. Complimentary permits for these reserved spaces are available to hotel guests at our front desk. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to our city.
Toronto
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I stay at this hotel about 5 times a year. It has slowly and slowly been getting worse and worse with each stay. The staff are freindly enough and Check in is a breeze. The Hallways are becoming more and more unsightly with each stay. Rooms are fairly clean but curtains and carpet are filthy. As a priority member i am suposed to get a paper each day I find that it is hit and miss and i will get somedays and not others. I know if i asked they would provide one but at 6 am i dont wasnt to go down to the front to get a paper or calling the front desk to complain. The breakfast in the resteraunt is great and the service has always been excellent. The room service is sub-par IMO I have many times orderd food and they send up no "Cutlery" with my order and I have to call down to order utensils all thge while the food is getting cold. Very easy things to remedy but each time i come back it seems like it is getting worse and worse. I am waiting for the New polo Park Holiday inn to open so i can try them out and see if it is better

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
MikeGore, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of our hotel. We certainly apologize that a number of aspects of your stay were not of the high standard you have come to expect at the Holiday Inn Winnipeg South. We certainly value your continued patronage and assure you that the issues you mentioned are not acceptable to us have been addressed.
Unclean conditions in any area of the hotel are never acceptable. The issues you outlined have been corrected
Regarding the guest room newspaper delivery, except on those rare occasions that our papers arrive from the distributor late, all Priority Club Rewards members should have a paper delivered to their door by 7:00 am Monday to Friday. We will ensure this happens consistently.
We have also conferred with our restaurant team to ensure that all room service orders are delivered in an expedient and complete fashion.
We certainly appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My wife and I had our wedding reception here in May/2011. The food and service was amazing, not one negative comment from any one of our guests, not even the picky ones!! We stayed in the Crocus Suite, and many of our wedding guests stayed at the hotel as well. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, loved this place. The breakfast buffet in the morning was great too! We stayed in the Crocus Suite again in May/2012 to celebrate our anniversary and of course we weren't disappointed. We live in the general area of this hotel and have gone to eat in the restaurant many times, it's that good. Simply not a bad thing to say about this place!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Rusty1969
Thank you so much for saying all those nice things about your experiences at our property. We are proud of our hotel, our staff and our services and feel even more proud when kind people such as yourself take the time to comment in this way. I have shared your comments with our entire team.
Thank for your loyal patronage. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again in the near future.