“A great experience.”
Review of Fort Garry Hotel

Fort Garry Hotel
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed July 22, 2007

An elegant historic hotel in the grand style. Beautiful lobby, gracious rooms. Excellent service and amenities. Loved the free on-call coffee and biscotti room service. And it was the best bed I've ever slept in--I'm on the trail of duplicating it the minute we get home. Courteous, well-trained, helpful staff. A top-of-the-charts experience without the top-of-the-charts price.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Harwells
Write a ReviewReviews (1,207)

Reviewed July 20, 2007

We travel to Winnipeg annually to visit family and usually stay at the Fort Garry. We enjoy the breakfasts, the fitness facility and pool and the central location. Although our stays have usually been great, this last visit was a very strange one. First of all even though we require a family room for the four of us, our room smelled smoky and musty, there were cigarette butts in the plant. On the second day, we found two pizza crusts in the corner of the room and complained, the housekeeping woman was very nice, but clearly did not
believe us when we explained they were not there the previous night. We got the feeling that someone was coming into the room for breaks! And finally the ceiling was very water-stained, and actual pieces of plaster were falling onto one of the beds. The housekeeping staff noticed the leaks and the front desk had offered to change our room, but when we got back at 10pm, we were too tired to do so. While the staff obliged us with a complimentary late check-out on the last day,
I felt that given the odd problems with our room we should have been given more consideration. Our latest stay was certainly in contrast to our previous good experiences, perhaps the hotel is renovating floor by floor, and has yet to reach the ninth floor...don't stay on it!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank deepcover
Reviewed July 9, 2007

We were amazed at the beauty of the lobby and the lovely architecture of the hotel. The staff was very informative and helpful. Our room had an old-fashioned charm that fit the the hotel's history. Plush bathrobes were provided and we enjoyed the complimentary tea/coffee with biscotti delivered at any time, day or night. The bed was extremely comfortable with wonderful linens and a cozy duvet. Included in the price of our room was a scrumptious breakfast: cereal, pastries, fruit, cooked to order waffles, omelets, eggs Benedict, etc. The Fort Garry certainly met our every expectation of an outstanding hotel.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PYD
Reviewed February 26, 2007

I stayed here for the first night of a trip to Winnipeg.

I booked a 'Superior' room, which has a Queen sized bed.

My request for early check-in (at 11am) was accepted; and I was given room 404. The room was clean, while a bit on the small side, and I found the decor to be somewhat out-of-date, kind of like grandma's house (though its part of the charm of the place!). The bathroom was of a good size, and clean as well, with a very large shower head, and excellent towels. The bed was very comfortable, and soft.

The elevators were extremely fast, though small and somewhat unfriendly. One was broken for part of my stay.

My room rate also included their famous Sunday Brunch, which was truely amazing!

I had a massage at the spa on the 10th floor, and was very impressed. I'd definitely recommend the spa to anyone!

Overall, I had a great stay, and I would have considered staying here for 2 nights, except that I felt that it would not be worth it for the second night, as I was leaving early, and that I might miss my flight because of the amazing bed!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled solo
4  Thank cober6711
Reviewed February 25, 2007

I was at the Hotel Fort Garry by mid of February. Reading other people's review, I was feared to find only small and ugly rooms, so I opted for the Executive Suite (only 50 CAD more expensive). I got the room 310.

I loved three things about the hotel:

* Charming old building with a very special character
* Very comfortable bed and room
* Huge suite

Other nice things:

* Good (but not excellent) breakfast
* Friendly and helpful staff

What i did not like:

* Needs really to be renovated (nothing ugly, but old stuff in a good shape)
* Crappy, old and ugly electronic equipment. Everything is from the 80's ... if not older.

If you are there for business and want to stay for a few days in a charming environment, you may want to give it try. It is worth the effort.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank pabo99
Reviewed January 11, 2007

Something just a little different which is always nice. Rooms a tiny bit tired in places but excellent beds. Well worth visiting.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank mindstorm72
Reviewed November 14, 2006

Like the last reviewer we stayed at the Fort Garry for two nights en route to Churchill to see the polar bears, and also for one night on the way home. We had a great stay, I can only agree with Mrs JT on more or less everything. We actually had a beautiful four poster on our return (see photo) but it was really soft and we kept rolling into the middle. The breakfasts were wonderful, as was the complimentary tea and coffee but oddly enough the Evian water in the room was not on the house - it costs nearly five dollars! Worse still, the tap water tasted quite earthy and unpleasant - probably the local norm.

We had our laptop with us and wanted to check-in for our flights home online so we bought some internet time, then discovered that we couldn't print them wirelessly to the business suite printer as we had thought. If we had known we would have used the hotel's pc. The girl in reception got full marks for doing her absolute best for us though.

• Stayed: October 2006