“Historic - to say the least!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Fort Garry Hotel

Fort Garry Hotel
Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
“Historic - to say the least!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2010

We decided to spend the night at the Fort Garry after our company Christmas Party in December 2009. While I've been to several functions at this venue, I've never acutally stayed overnight and have always wanted to.

There were many friends who stayed the same night we did so we had the chance to see many different types of rooms, although we all payed the same amount. Some were much larger than others. Ours happened to be quite small. But I suppose when you're dealing with olden day (?) construction, large rooms weren't necessarily required.

Having stayed at the Banff Springs Hotel (which was one of the best experiences of my life) I think I expected too much out of the Fort Garry. Especially because we're dealing with lame old Winnipeg. The bed was really comfortable, but the rugs and the rest of the furniture was quite worn which didn't make it feel clean. It's almost like at one point they tried to modernize the rooms but have since tried reachieve it's historical authenticity. The free standing lamp in the corner did not compliment the room at all. The TVs & phone systems need upgrading. I love old things, but there is no reason that the hotel could not be upgraded old. I also felt it was innappropriate how the banquet staff kept having to come and empty our ice machine on our floor in order to serve their parties.

I nice treat was coffee service in the morning. As the rooms are not outfitted with individual coffee makers and fixings, the complimentary coffee service was a nice touch. They were prompt and polite as well.

We stayed for the Sunday Brunch which is complimentary with a Saturday night stay. It was really wonderful, but now having done it once, I don't think I would ever have to do it again. There is SO MUCH FOOD. And it's all quite tasty but it seems wasteful when there are so many starving children in this world.

I would recommend that given the chance, all Winnipegers should take advantage of this little bit of history in our city, but I wouldn't necessarily send out of town guests there.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Winnipeg, MB
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2010

The room was charming: it felt more like staying with family, not at an impersonal hotel. Although smaller than some other hotel rooms, there was more than enough room, and lacked nothing.

Staff was very friendly and helpful, and the brunch was excellent, as always. (Sunday brunch is free when you stay the weekend.)

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank Siu_Z
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2009

I stay here whenever I'm in Winnipeg. The rooms are in wonderful condition, nicely refreshed. Terrific beds and your choice of mattresses from down-filled to ortho. The Garry is designated as a national historic site and exudes that wonderful and unique "railway hotel" character. A grand lobby. Front desk staff that are among the friendliest and most accommodating I've come across in years! Terrific piano bar with a full menu. And, if you're going to be there Sunday morning, try to get reservations for the Brunch, which is truly phenomenal. The whole lobby is filled with fabulous foods and the entire ground floor flipped for dining. Packed with people from across greater Winnipeg and beyond. Lots of amenities and sites within an easy walk.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2009

This hotel is beautiful inside and out. The rooms are large and very comfortable. The beds are amazing. The breakfast is very good. Cooked to order eggs, waffles, etc. Room service is quick. Fitness Room is excellent. This is a very nice hotel and the staff are all very friendly and so helpful.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2009

Natural Habitat Adventures booked our rooms here as part of a polar bear expedition to Churchill. I was nervous because of some reviewers here really didn't like the hotel, but I was very comfy and the hotel has a lot of charm. And we didn't encounter any ghosts anywhere in the hotel :-)

We got a corner room (two actually, one at either end of our Churchill visit) with one queen bed, two comfy chairs, a table, and a desk/chair. (The hotel is structured to provide lots of corners.) The memory foam mattresses were very comfy, the sheets are particularly nice, and the fluffy white duvet kept us toasty warm (even though my husband turns the heat way down at night).

Pros: Quiet rooms, super-comfy bed, separate heater controls for bedroom and bath, nice closet with automatic lights, hair dryer and iron, bath amenities including lotion and hair conditioner, huge thick fluffy towels and bathrobes (even washcloths, which I was told would be missing in Canada), charming furnishings. Breakfast buffet was included in our package (I don't know if that's standard) and it was wonderful! I had to work hard not to eat too much. Access to a fitness center & pool are included, but they're not run by the hotel--our friends loved it, but we didn't visit. The common areas are very pretty and historically decorated.

Cons: OK, if you want to be really picky, the carpet was a bit worn and the artwork was a bit dated. They charge for internet access in your room (by the hour or day)--we never tried it and stuck with using one of the two laptops in the lobby to check our mail for free. The elevators are pretty small, but there are 3 of them and we never had to wait too long (except that one time when 50 people from our polar bear charter all arrived back at the hotel at the same time). If you don't get a corner room (there are lots because of the building structure), you might have a window with a view of the alley and other rooms. The corner rooms had two windows, one opening on the courtyard/alley, the other on a main street with a possible view.

The location of the hotel is great! There are lots of restaurants nearby. You can walk to the riverside park for a great stroll along the Red River and see some cultural interpretive stations (including a park with celestial sighting apparatus!). It's a few blocks from the Forks (ATM, lots of small food vendors, some gift shops) and some museums. There's a grocery store right behind the hotel and a curling rink next door. It's a moderate but not excessive walk to the Portage Place indoor mall (nice IMAX theatre). It's on public transit routes, so you can get to lots of other places conveniently.

• Stayed November 2009
1 Thank jbinaustin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2009

I went to Winnipeg on business. It's more of a European-style hotel with the small rooms. I had a few strange things happen to me in the room. My TV wouldn't change channels, but my volume would go up and down. Also, my lamp wouldn't turn off. When I called the front desk they sent up the maintenance guy and when he entered the room the TV and lamp started working correctly. On the way to the hotel the driver told me that they have a ghost in the hotel. I didn't stay in the room that the ghost normally shows up, but the driver did say he appears to single women. I was traveling alone....

Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2009

We stayed here two nights on the way to and from a tour in Churchill. The service at the hotel is very good. They will bring complimentary tea or coffee to your room anytime. The hot breakfast is excellent, with hot cereal, cold cereal, pastries, excellent scones, and eggs to order as well as available breakfast meat.

There are two laptops by reception which provide internet access and you can print your boarding passes, etc. They may also have in room access but I don't know as I didn't bring a laptop this trip. There was no charge for the use of the laptops at reception.

The bedding is great - warm and cozy comforters on both the mattress and for the cover. The hotel is older so there is old floral wallpaper and old white tiles in the bathroom. I did nto mind this at all. There were a few items in need of repair - a chipped tile, a peeled spot on the ceiling, but that didn't bother me and it was normal wear and tear. Given the age of the hotel I was surprised it was in as good condition.

The location is good, and there is shopping and dining in easy walking distance. There is a fitness center. The hotel arranged a shuttle to the airport for us.

Despite being very busy, the hotel was quiet in the rooms, which was nice. Overall we have no complaints and would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009