“Engaged in a beautiful place!!!!”
Review of Fort Garry Hotel

Fort Garry Hotel
Ranked #10 of 64 Hotels in Winnipeg
Minot North Dakota
Reviewed June 6, 2005

The Hotel Fort Garry experience was remarkable. The staff are very friendly and quick to respond to any requests. The breakfast was very delightful. I was taken there by my then boyfriend who planned the trip as a surprise proposel and was very impressed, however, the revolving restaurant was my ONLY complaint, the food was not to my taste, cool and a little under done. Overall I recommend the hotel for any romantic getaway or special occassion, as a matter of fact we are on our way back in July 2005 for our 2 year(early) anniversary. We were married November 15 2003, but it's too cold to enjoy the sights at that time... Enjoy your stay...We did!!!

• Stayed: April 2003
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Fort Garry Hotel

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 25, 2005

I managed to get a room at this hotel for a special wedding rate of $149/night. I wouldn't have paid anymore if this didn't include the Sunday brunch which is $34pp and worth that price if you eat all of the seafood, prime rib, lamb, and chocolate fountain desserts.

I agree with some of the other reviewers that the lobby and common areas are very beautiful but the rooms and hallways are very outdated. And not outdated in an antique way but an 80's kind of way. The hotel room was like being in your grandmother's home. Bathroom and hallways could use updating. Bed was very comfortable and the service was very nice.

It could also use more parking spaces as there were several weddings at the hotel and it filled up rather quickly.

Pool and gym was quite complicated to get to but the facilities were nice. As I said, for the right price, I'd stay again but not for the $199+ these rooms usually go for.

• Stayed: May 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Vancouver B.C.
Reviewed January 4, 2005

My partner and I stayed at the Fort Garry on New Year's Eve 04/05. We were enjoying the world junior hockey championships in Grand Forks North Dakota and looked forward to seeing the new year in, at home in Canada. Based on glowing reviews on various websites, we selected the Fort Garry for our special night.

While the exterior appearance of the building and interior common areas (lobby, lounge) are appealing, the service was substandard (though enthusiastic), the room was outdated, the hallways and elevators were appalling -- my overall impression was one of "Fawlty Towers." If only John Cleese were about to liven things up!

Of three elevators, one was generally operational. The hallways on the fifth floor where we were housed had torn carpet, broken baseboards, badly damaged paint, outdated and inadequate lighting, and no coherent style as one might expect in a grande ol' dame like the Fort Garry.

The room was comfortable with a beautiful kingsize bed -- possibly one of the best sleeps I've had in a long time -- yet the outdated TV, unavailable wireless internet service (why advertise it if users have to pay per use????), chips falling off the ceiling, and tiny bathroom were surprising. Worst of all was the night-time noise -- water in the pipes! banging and clanging at all hours, waking us up.

There is little or no sound-proofing between rooms -- I heard our neighbour singing "Winter Wonderland" in the morning. Not at full voice, I might add. Had I wanted to, I could have heard every word of the conversation in that room.

While the young staff at the front desk were enthusiastic to help us, they were poorly informed e.g. how far away is the airport? where is the Amici restaurant from here? what is the expected taxi fare to the airport? all elicited responses of "just one minute please, I'll go find out for you." They consistently did so, yet isn't this simple information that hotel employees might have at their fingertips?

Overall all, a poor performance and sad reflection on Winnipeg.

21  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 29, 2004

My wife is from originally from Winnipeg so I visit the city once or twice per year and have stayed at many of the downtown hotels such as the Sheraton, the Fairmont, the Radisson, etc. My wife and I have walked through the Fort Garry’s lobby on previous visits and were suitably impressed by the hotel’s common areas. Based on that experience and after reading the glowing reviews in this website we decided to book a deluxe room at the Fort Garry for this year’s Christmas trip. I must say that I was surprisingly shocked by the disparity between the condition of the rooms we were offered and the almost universally positive reviews on this website. I do not generally complain about hotels, and I have stayed a wide variety of places, from simple hostels to luxury hotels in major world cities. I know that top Winnipeg hotels tend to be cheaper and are generally less luxurious than counterparts in other major urban centers. However, outside of the beautiful main floor common area, the parts of the Fort Garry that I saw were disgraceful. The hallway paint was peeling and chipped, the carpets had huge rips, and plaster was cracking off the ceiling in many places. The two deluxe rooms we were offered had extensively chipped furniture, 30+ year-old televisions, and old grey velour recliners that were definitely out of character with the rest of the hotel. The carpets in the two rooms were so filthy I wouldn’t walk on them without shoes, while the two bathrooms both had a significant amount of mould. To be perfectly honest the rooms were lower quality than you would find in an inexpensive highway motel. While the hotel staff cancelled our reservation after check-in without hassle, they also didn’t seem that surprised with our decision to leave nor did they inquire as to why we viewed the room as substandard. My wife and I ended up at another major downtown hotel at 2/3rds the price, and while this other hotel was by no means luxurious nor were the common areas as nice, it was at least clean enough that we actually felt comfortable in the room. Interestingly enough, most friends and relatives to whom we relayed our story were not at all surprised since it seems that the Fort Garry’s recent reputation has having more flash than substance is locally well known. Once again we were very surprised given the universally positive reviews on this website. I would encourage caution to potential guests when reading the Fort Garry’s reviews and I would further encourage them to consider some of the other major hotel chains in the city.

29  Thank JohnMH
Reviewed December 15, 2004

I stayed at this hotel, last month and WOW is all I can say. we stayed the weekend.

THe room was HUGE, we got upgraded to a suite. It had a full living room and dining room with a pull of bed.couch.

A full hallway with main greeting entrance.

The bed room was masive. It had 2 chairs a king bed, that was soooo soft and a wonderful bathroom with an amazing view. overall everything was great, the service etc...

the best part was the brunch included in the upgrade. there was every kinda breakfast/lunch food you could think of there, along with a chocolate fountaine. what else could be better

I would deff. recommened this hotel to anyone staying in winnipeg.

if you have anymore questions or comments feel free to email me at
holly_913@hotmail.com with the subject FORT GARRY HOTEL