“Better but..”
Review of Fort Garry Hotel

Fort Garry Hotel
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I am reviewing an upgraded executive suite at the Fort Garry hotel. My last stay here last year was very inadequate. This time around it is better BUT there are a few minor concerns. Of course everything about the hotel is fabulous. The drive up to the front. The exquisite exterior and regal lobby. It makes you feel special and important. I stayed in room 410. At first glance it was beautiful, spacious and luxurious but then I inspected a little closer. Issue #1 there was a pop can behind the garbage near the mini bar fridge. Not a big deal could have dropped when changing the liner. Issue #2. Our carpet in the bedroom was soaked near the window on the left side of the room. The air conditioner unit was probably leaking water and it was a freaking puddle (see picture). Issue #3. The dust... I am very allergic to dust and start getting hives, watery eyes, coughing and runny nose if i am exposed. And the blinds were covered in dust as you can see in the picture provided. Paying for internet is also very annoying since I know of other lower end properties that don't even charge for internet.

THE POSITIVES.

Breakfast was superb BUT not they started charging for breakfast when previously it was included in the rate Now it is $10 extra per person reasonable considering the cost is notmally $20 per person for the buffet.

Staff was amazing. Smiles everywhere, very welcoming, valet in particular, front desk and room service was a stand out Also the chef in the morning breakfast.

Other the issues stated about my room the floor plan was wonderful, the furnishings were more than adequate and the bed was one of the comfiest I have ever slept in. I really liked the room a lot besides the issues I stated.

The Ten spa in the hotel again amazing it is a ten and has always been a ten and my go to spa getaway all the time.

Little touches such as complimentary news paper Sun and Free Press, Fresh apples at the front desk and complimentary tea and coffee delivered with biscotti/cookie at anytime via room service are such an awesome perk.

All in all my stay was good. I really didn't want to complain (again) because they might think I am just out for a freebie or something when really I just want my experience to be perfect like it once was in the past.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank 204pecitygal
Laura W, Marketing Director at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your loyalty and I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Fort Garry again. Thank you for bringing your maintenance and housekeeping concerns to our attention -these issues have been addressed immediately upon receiving your comments. I was glad to read that your service experience was excellent, as this is what we strive for on every visit.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Kind regards,

Laura Wiebe
Marketing Director
The Fort Garry Hotel, Spa and Conference Centre
(204)946-6523
lwiebe@fortgarryhotel.com

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I was very disappointed with the Fort Garry. The hotel's common areas (lobby, reception spaces, breakfast room) are very nice and portray a grand old hotel atmosphere that others have commented about. However, once you leave the ground floor, the experience is very different. The hallways are dark and dreary and the guest rooms are shockingly out of date. From peeling wallpaper to cracked ceiling plaster, outdated/faded window dressings and furniture, to the tube TV (which I don't think I've seen in a hotel at any price point in the past 5 years) on a crooked stand oddly placed almost in the middle of the room, and the cracked and peeling baseboards and bathroom tiles, the hotel is in desperate need of a multimillion dollar update to its guestrooms. It's very clear that management has focused on keeping up appearances in the lobby and reception spaces at the expense of overall guest enjoyment once you actually get to your room. It's a sad shell of what was at some point I'm sure a lovely hotel. I was also disappointed to see that management has set up a dedicated smoking area on the front steps of the hotel. It creates a terrible first impression when you arrive to a cloud of smoke.

The hotel staff were great and attentive, even on a very busy weekend during which the hotel was hosting 3 wedding receptions. It's unfortuante that their efforts are overshadowed by the drab guest rooms that will prevent me from staying at the Fort Garry in the future.

Room Tip: Avoid room 501. The website shows rooms with hardwood that appear to have maybe have been updated...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank AMHVan
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed here with my wife over the weekend. We had a fantastic experience. The staff was great as always and we took advantage of their complimentary coffee and cookie which is a really nice treat for guests. Hands down this is one of the nicest hotels in Winnipeg.

The Sunday brunch is something to experience as well, definitely worth the extra cost.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This is a beautiful old historic building, quite close to the Forks marketplace, the grand lobby, ballrooms and bar were impressive looking, lots of high ceilings and great architecture. Guests have access to the Assiniboine health club, which is really nice, but not quite the typical hotel pool that children might enjoy. The staff were generally very friendly and extremely helpful. The daily coffee service is a nice touch, and the 10 dollar a person breakfast was quite nice. The downside as others have noted is that the place is in bad need of an update. The threadbare carpets and ripped upholstery make the place seem kind of sad. The biggest disappointment was the poor housekeeping. Our window was so dirty you could hardly see the pretty view outside. The bathroom had several spots where someone had spilled coffee on the tiles and doors, and it had just been allowed to dry there. The great shower head was shoddily attached. In the hallway outside our room someone had sprayed beer or something on the wall and it just dried there. Our door did not open properly, and you had to kick it to get it open or shut. The loud noise it made I'm sure disturbed others. I hope they figure out how to fix these problems soon. It's a great old building and it would be a shame to see it decline further.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces out, and not into the interior of the building.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jhoppe01
Laura W, Marketing Director at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Fort Garry. All guest opinions are important to us, and we appreciate that you took the time to review your stay. Our guest satisfaction is very important to us, and I was disappointed to read that you experienced several housekeeping and maintenance issues on this occasion. For this please accept our most sincere apologies on behalf of the hotel. If you would like to follow up regarding the details of your stay, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

Laura Wiebe
Marketing Director
The Fort Garry Hotel, Spa and Conference Centre
(204)946-6523
lwiebe@fortgarryhotel.com

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Fort Garry is one of the old railroad hotels, established when the cross-Canada railroad was put in place. It is a well-kept grand old building, walking distance from the train station, the Forks and walks along the rivers . Complimentary coffee or tea is delivered to the room upon request, and the excellent breakfast ($10 extra per person) is very worthwhile.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank UriDan
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The Hotel Fort Garry is a classy place to stay and the staff are very friendly and helpful. The interior decor of the compact rooms is date and could use a revamp, including a CRT style TV that takes up valuable floor real estate sitting on top of a stand. The meeting rooms within the hotel proper were small, but functional however we suffered through an AC malfunction on some of the hottest days of the year. Not particularly fun and although fans did appear it wasn't until we asked. Overall, satisfied with the stay.

Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I visited Winnipeg this past week for a conference and my experience at this hotel was fantastic! Staff were excellent and service number one! The rooms are a bit older, but the hotel is 100 years old and I feel adds to that charm. Beds were comfortable and duvet was cozy. They had a breakfast special with the room rate and it too was very good. The location is close to The Forks, which is a nice walk. The hotel is close to several good restaurants and Starbucks is just up the street. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business