“Nice”
Review of Fort Garry Hotel

Fort Garry Hotel
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Very nice hotel to stay at. This hotel is abit dated and some of the rooms need paint and wall paper replaced. The television also is older. The service is good and parking is free inside. Overall nice place to stay, close to The Forks which is within walking distance.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank ruthnbob

Reviewed June 11, 2013

So, i have been visiting this hotel for many years. I travel to winnipeg 4-6x per year for business and usually stay at the FG. I wrote a review after what i call an experience that was unsettling and disappointing. I give kudos to FG management , firstly for reading my no holds barred review and then responding and apologizing for my less than perfect experience. FG followed up by offering me a significant disount on my next visit and made sure that i enjoyed my stay. On my follow up stay, staff were attentive for the most part and again management was sincere in their efforts to make things right and to keep a long time customer. So Kudos to FG...some hotels as you will note from this site, wont ever respond to your concerns...they likely couldnt care a less about a few negative reviews... FG stepped up and it is clear they care and stand behind this iconic hotel, they are working hard at getting it right... Thanks FG I appreciate it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank KenM2013
Laura W, Marketing Director at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for returning to the Fort Garry on your most recent visit to Winnipeg, and thank you for taking the time to write another review. We appreciate that you gave us the opportunity to improve upon your last stay. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed this visit, and we delivered on the service and experience that you expect for each and every time. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Spent four days here last week and was very happy with the stay. My room was exceedingly small but very comfortable and filled with charm. The free coffee service was excellent and came with a biscotti -and very good coffee I need to add. My room was not cleaned one day - not sure why but very minor. These old hotels certainly do take you back to an older era and the service here lived up to expectations. The food at the conference was exceptional and the location was close to sites and other restaurants. Make sure you stop in at the Forks market - some interesting shops and great treats!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Fort Garry on your most recent trip to Winnipeg, and for taking the opportunity to review your stay. It was our pleasure to be your host, and we're glad that you enjoyed the visit (and our specially blended coffee)! Please accept our apologies for the missed housekeeping service. If you would like to follow up on the matter, please don't hesitate to get in touch and I would be happy to follow up.

We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Winnipeg.

Kind regards,

Reviewed June 9, 2013

This is one of the CP "chateau" hotels built over 100 years ago. Like the hotels in Quebec, Montreal, Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver, it has a beautiful charm made from wood and stone in an elegant décor. I was most impressed with the service and food quality. The price was very reasonable and even the internet was only $6 a day. Located in the downtown area, there are shuttles available but sites are not far away.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Normally budget hotel patrons, my husband and I recently booked a weekend at the Fort Garry due to a conference I was attending there. I was expecting a high level of service and the Fort Garry went above and beyond. We had booked starting a Friday night, but my conference started already that morning. We arrived at 10:30, our 7 month old in tow. I asked if there was any way we could get an earlier (than the standard 3:00) check in - knowing that they had had a full occupancy the previous night. Within an hour they had a room ready to go complete with play pen for us! My husband was so grateful to have a room to entertain our baby in for the remainder of a very rainy day!
The rooms were cleanly and tasteful. We were thrilled with the free 24 hour coffee (and cookie!) service and made use of it often. We were also happy to pay the discounted $10 fee for the full hot breakfast of made to order eggs/waffles/ham/hashbrowns (I LOVE a fresh omelette) and fresh fruit.
We found the staff to be incredibly friendly and accomodating. What a wonderful experience at the Fort Garry!

Room Tip: We requested a quite room and that is exactly what we got!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank gordandjanice
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We are staying here at a conference this weekend. I must admit I was not sure what to expect when I got here, but I have enjoyed the ambience and experience of this historic hotel.
We had the pleasure of having a private tour from Laura in marketing and she was so wonderful and gave us a lot of information that we wouldn't have known prior.
If you are into quaint and history, please stay here. The staff and people are amazing and it's a good experience. Definitely a place for Winnipeg to be proud of

Stayed: May 2013
Laura W, Marketing Director at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Fort Garry, and for reviewing your visit. It was my pleasure to take you to tour the hotel, and share some of the rich stories about this National Historic Site. I'm glad that you and your conference group enjoyed an excellent stay, and we hope to see you again in the future.

All the best,

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Fort Garry hotel in Winnipeg, Manitoba is an old railroad hotel that has been modernized to be extremely comfortable, without losing the charm of turn- of- the- century luxury hotels. There's enough brass and ornate curlicues to please the most discriminating history buff while offering free use of computers or whatever you require to keep up with the modern age. Good plumbing, good lighting, and excellent comfortable beds; plus an included breakfast that one would gladly pay a premium to eat. The staff is plentiful and helpful, whether it be to seat and serve you at breakfast or to take care of babysitting your luggage after checkout so you can visit the nearby "Forks" before you're due to cab to the airport. If I ever get to Winnipeg again I will be sure to stay at this premium establishment!

Room Tip: The room I stayed in was fourth floor, front of the hotel, and I didn't hear any traffic noise w...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends