Fort Garry Hotel
Delta Hotels Winnipeg(Winnipeg)
  • Breakfast included
  • Room Service
1,231 results
All reviewspalm roombiscottigrand old hotelfeather bedbroadway roomrailway hotelpiano playerhaunted roomsunday brunch isnatural habitatclassic hoteleggs benedictcoffee servicebeautiful hotelbreakfast buffet ismodern amenitieshotel guests
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at this charming historic hotel everytime we visit family for weddings,funerals or vacation. We've been coming for years,we love the beds, the toitetries,the tea/coffee service and the food is out of this world! However, we've been noticing the past few years more and more red flags. This stay, when we arrived it was cold and blizarding, no one was anywhere around to help us with our luggage. We did it ourselves, and it was like that the last time we visited. Our room smelled very humid&musky, there were black hairs in the tub,sink &bathroom floor...yuck! There was lots of black mold growing in the cocking of the window,as well as the bathtub grout. There were rips and lifting of the carpet in our room & the paint was all pealing in spots, especially the bathroom door. Our TV was all fuzzy& the color was off and on. I had to call to hav someone fix it, they couldn't really fix the prob. Nor did anything to compinsate.The back of the gym and change rooms were not well maintained at all, & extremely run down.
Even the main staircase had rips& was duck taped up. In the palm room there was paint pealing all in the beautiful handcrafted moldings. It's really a shame that this absolutely beautiful hotel full of character,is not maintained better. I feel that it has lost it's luster, and really not worth the expense. I feel I was overpriced for what we recived. Not a 5star hotel that they claim to be. Sadly, my husband and I will be choosing the Fairmont for our future Winnipeg visits.

• Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank Yakimetz1
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I dislike flying intensely and travel as often as possible by train; as such this magnificent old hotel is made to order for me. It's directly across the street from Winnipeg's equally grand old Union Station so access couldn't be easier even in the dead of winter. I also don't care very much about the WiFi speed, whether or not my TV is gigantic or flat-screen, or even if there IS a TV --- is this what people really travel for? To watch TV? I suppose regular business travelers become accustomed to what they like or need, but for the occasional voyager like me a fine old hotel such as this is treat.

I've seen some cranky comments about the lack of service here, and I can't see what they're talking about: arriving at the big stairs at the front door, a young beautifully attired Porter instantly scampered down and grabbed our cases without hesitation even though the snow was swirling about. The lobby is a swell affair with a huge revolving door, marble floors, shining brass fixtures, dark wood, neat old elevators with the floor indicators like clock faces and so on; the folks at the desk were extremely nice, efficient, and had us up in our rooms in no time. Another contributor was apparently shocked the place had no old plush sofas downstairs to sit on, and I suppose if your hobby is sitting around in hotel foyers you'll be disappointed here, but there is a gorgeous oval lounge directly adjacent with a great many comfy chairs in it, and even tables and potted palms, too.

The upstairs corridors bespeak the place's age, reminding me somewhat of the Overlook Hotel from "The Shining," but how much time does one spend in a corridor? Of the rooms we occupied one had no view, but the other's was mostly of the snowstorm outside so I can't say we were especially unhappy. They were a bit overheated for my taste, making the generous thick coverlets on the beds almost unnecessary, but this is typical of any hotel in a cold climate in my experience, and we simply switched off the heat and were OK with the ambience for the rest of our stay. The beds were very comfy, and we slept well. The decor is yesteryear's, but still restrained and tasteful, with no staleness or ancient tobacco odors. There is bottled water with gleaming crystal glasses in each room but we never opened it, because I believe you then have to pay for it, and the tap water is perfectly delicious so why bother? One pleasant surprise is complimentary coffee & biscotti delivered to the room; I'm kind of a coffee snob and I thought their brew was excellent, and there was plenty of it as well. The shower (no tub) was gorgeous, featuring a massive showerhead with a variety of settings; interestingly, although the pressure changed up & down quite frequently, the water temperature stayed happily constant.

The extensive menu from the lounge downstairs is also the room service menu, and we sampled quite a few items and found them all to be perfectly delicious. In fact I would say that Serious Food is one of the salient qualities of the Fort Garry Hotel; the breakfast room is very nice, with two talented chefs on call to prepare just about anything you might ask for right in front of you without a moment's delay. (One tip: order the breakfast service the evening before, and it's half the cost of a walk-in.) We tried about everything --waffles, pancakes, bacon, omelets, yogurt, fresh fruit, juice, pastries-- and it was without exception first class. On Sundays they close this room at 10:00 to set up their gargantuan Sunday Brunch out in the lobby, and to judge by the attendance it's a city-wide tradition, with even more offerings than the standard breakfast. Quite boggling, almost Roman, and yet still genteel. I was really impressed.

We went to the adjacent health club in the early morning to use their steamy indoor pool. Most astonishing was the sight of a dozen incredibly buff women in microscopic bikinis being coached for an upcoming bodybuilding competition. I know Canada is famed for its woods and lakes and mountains, but I will also cast a vote for its "great indoors" as well.

The only glitch was an odd extra charge on our bill, which I pointed out to the desk clerk, and it was immediately resolved and the charge voided.

The locale is definitely "downtown" and is not much nicer than other aging metropolitan centers, but though I was panhandled the poor bum started his pitch with "Er, excuse me, sir..." so one is reminded that you're still in Canada. There are good restaurants within easy walking distance, as well as "The Forks" marketplace.

Room Tip: Somebody I spoke with after we checked out asked me if we stayed "in the famous haunted room." Wish I'd heard about this first!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MojoLad
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This was my first trip to Winnipeg in 30 years and I was booked into the Fort Garry Hotel. I had a great stay for the 5 nights I was there. This is a hotel built in the days when hotels were built around the railroads and it has lost little over time. True, parts of the rooms, doors especially are showing some wear, but it is truly a graceful place, with quiet hallways and very comfortable beds. I had to work evenings and had no trouble sleeping during the daytime. Everything is clean. The staff are superb, always polite and accommodating.

I had breakfast in the breakfast room every morning, where there are two chefs waiting to make what ever you want to order. This along with a selection of freshly baked pastries and fruits make a great start to the day. The food served in the Palm Lounge is exceptional.

There is a health club attached to the hotel, with passes available. You can walk anywhere in the downtown area within 15 minutes.

If I return, I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I love going to this hotel, every time I step into the building it feels like I am being transported back in time. the rooms are small but sufficient. The Spa upstairs is the ultimate relaxation experience. Tea & Cookies are brought to your room free of charge 24/7. The bed was huge and felt like I was sinking into a cloud. Perfect Romantic Getaway.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Thie is one of the Old Railroad Hotels found in Canada. The service is excellent, rooms are clean and well kept as well as the beds are some of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The best thing about this hotel is that if you stay over on Saturday, you get to have the Sunday brunch for free.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple