“Elegant, extremely comfortable and convenient”
Review of Fort Garry Hotel

Fort Garry Hotel
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Asheville, North Carolina, Usa
“Elegant, extremely comfortable and convenient”
Reviewed November 13, 2007

The Fort Garry Hotel is an old railroad hotel, very elegant in style and substance. The Fort Garry Hotel is located a short easy walk from the ViaRail terminal, so if you're planning a rail trip out of Winnipeg, the Fort Garry is the place to be. The room we had was a tad worn, emphasis on "tad". Ours had a little ceiling stain here, a wallpaper corner peeling a bit there, but don't let that dissuade you. The bed was, bar none, the most comfortable bed my wife and I have ever slept in, in over 30 years of testing. Also, if you can plan to stay a Saturday night, please know the Sunday brunch is also another extreme superlative! The Fort Garry isn't cheap, but would you expect it to be? If I were to revisit Winnipeg, I'd be back at the Fort Garry again.

• Liked — Incredibly comfortable bed, sumptuous Sunday buffet
  • Disliked — The room's wear and tear
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RoadMode

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2007

This is a nice hotel, clean but worn. Our bathroom had mouldy seals around the shower area, (sorry but this little detail is quite obvious and puts me of if bathrooms aren't clean in appearance), the paint work is in need of a good refresh, and it doesn't take much to make a room good.
We were part of a tour group & were told our bags would be bought to our rooms, it was late and we had been travelling for quite some time but it took them 3/4 hour to bring our bags up.
The reception staff answered our queries but then almost dismissed us and went on with another job almost as though we were in their way.
Impressed that as we were travelling on to Churchill for a few days before returning back to the hotel over night, we were able to leave a suitcase there until we returned.
Breakfast was very good, a varied choice of food and good service.
Unfortunately there is not much immediately close by, but the Forks is a good little area a 5 minute walk away.

• Liked — ?
  • Disliked — Tied & worn rooms
  • Stayed October 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Universal22
Croughton, England
Reviewed November 7, 2007

We really enjoyed our two short stays at Fort Garry last month and wish we had had had longer there. The building is interesting, the public rooms have been fabulously restored and our bedrooms (two different ones) were well decorated and had fantastically comfortable beds. The breakfasts here are absolutely fantastic and the Sunday Brunch is wonderful, with a really relaxing ambience. We would visit again if in Winnipeg.

• Liked — Wonderful building and fantastic breakfasts
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CafeJardin
Sask
Reviewed November 3, 2007

I booked into the Fort Garry as a last minute decision to stay in Winnipeg for the night. The room I was given was very clean but obviously worn. Carpet was patched and frayed at the baseboards, draperies were dusty and threadbare in spots, the chair was old and needed replacing.Room service was fast and courteous but the fruit tray was very sparse and some of the grapes were inedible. The bed was clean but very high. The feather bed kept shifting. The breakfast in the morning was wonderful. The room was quiet.

• Liked — Convenient and close to downtown and the forks
  • Disliked — Poor quality fruit in the fruit and nut tray I ordered.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank scotty88
Ottawa
Reviewed September 29, 2007

My colleagues and I have stayed at the Fort Garry hotel literally hundreds of nights. The staff, owners and ambience are beyond compare. I would highly recommend this as a safe, elegant yet homey place to stay. All my needs were always accomodated, any issues that I had were always dealt with immediately and appropriately. The spa is extraordinary...not to be missed. Sunday brunch is a gastronomic experience of the highest quality.

As a female business traveller, I could always count on the staff to make me feel safe. When I had an accident (my fault), I was driven to the hospital and then given a gift certificate for a massage.

When my luggage didn't arrive with me and it was -40 degress, I was loaned a warm coat.

Service above and beyond is an understatement. Stay here, you will not be disappointed.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Drink prices
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Fedonthego
B.C.
Reviewed August 28, 2007

We were in Winnipeg for a wedding. In the past I have stayed with family, but will choose the Fort Garry for future visits.
-Breakfast was the highlight of our stay. We felt very pampered sitting at a window table with fresh flowers, white tablecloths and heavy cloth napkins. Service was also great, and the made to order omelettes or eggs Benedict were a treat, as well as the many other choices. The Sunday brunch exceeded expectations, and would be well worth the $35 price on its own. Instead, it is included in the Saturday night rate, which was slightly higher than the other nights we stayed.
-Coffee service with a fresh cookie whenver the mood struck was also a treat.
-Disappointed that the L'Occitane bath products advertised on the website turned out to be Neutrogena-not bad, but when you are expecting lovely French ones...Maybe that's for the more expensive rooms, but it doesn't say so online.
-Room was very clean, bathroom was fairly large, and the linens and towels were very nice. The bed was incredibly comfortable.
-When I phoned to reserve, I asked about views, and chose one with a view of the Forks, River, etc. Looked out onto Main and the Union Station. We were on the fourth floor, and it was very quiet, although the walls are not thick, as we learned one night.
-Staff were courteous and helpful. Room was cleaned well each day.
-Parking a problem on Saturday night when a wedding was being held. Valet offered to park our car for the night, but for $12 a night, I'd like to be guaranteed a spot, especially when a more reasonably priced hotel a few blocks away offered free parking for guests.
-Room did need a style update-mostly the wallpaper outdated and somewhat worn. I wouldn't like to see it changed drastically. The place seems busy enough to support the cost of a renovation. Did have character, though, and was large, high ceilinged and comfortable.
-Overall we loved our stay and will return. The hotel did meet expectations and my complaints were very minor. I don't know what some of the poor reviews were on about...

Stayed August 2007
2 Thank rjoy
Calgary Alberta
Reviewed August 24, 2007

This is still my favourite place to stay in Winnipeg (my apologies to my in-laws). We’ve stayed here many times in the past 25 years, the first time being on our honeymoon. I’ve stayed here with young kids as well as teenagers and now my daughter also considers it a favourite. If you like a hotel with some history and a bit of character, you’ll love this place! The rooms are large, comfortable and clean. The lobby is grand with a piano lounge and high ceilings. We didn’t use the pool this time round but when the kids were younger we certainly did. There is a snack bar / magazine store on the lower level. It was almost 10:00 when we checked in so the gym was closed. We opted to walk up and down the stairs a few times and ended up in the lower level snack bar / magazine shop where we bought some popcorn and headed back to the room for some TV watching and then a great night’s sleep! The next morning, we went outside for a walk around the area and a few short blocks to the “Forks” where they have a bazaar-style market and restaurant area. As it is on the river, there is also some nice park area and boats that offer river tours. The room package we usually buy includes a very nice breakfast with omelette and waffle chefs as well as the usual other high quality breakfast fare. The Hotel Fort Gary is definitely worth checking out if you are in Winnipeg.

• Liked — Good sleep / Good food
  • Disliked — Have to pay for parking
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family