“Don't tell any secrets”
Review of Fort Garry Hotel

Fort Garry Hotel
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed May 5, 2011

The walls are paper thin. You hear everything. When the person next door talks on the phone it sounds like they're right beside you. You can hear the toilets flush next door and the showers above sound like a waterfall crashing down.

The rooms were a little dingy. There was paint peeling off the wall above the bed. It was also very cramped. The heater/AC only worked when set on emergency mode. It was so hot.

The internet is $6 per day and is super slow .....if you're able to connect that is.

The beds are very comfortable and the room service was good. They also serve complimentary tea and coffee 24 hours - they'll bring it to your room with a cookie.

The suites are much nicer than the standard rooms - but same dingy look just have a few homier additions like plants and mirrors on the walls etc.

I expected much better for one of the cities best hotels especially at such a high price.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank SammyNPaul

Reviewed May 1, 2011

I stayed in your hotel on April 29th for 1 night in room 821. I would like to commend the staff for making my stay wonderful, pleasant and just sheer of amazing! From the Valet guys, to the reception, the cooks in the breakfast area and the house keepers. Whether it was the kind man who checked us in or the lady who checked me out, everybody always had a smile on their face and were exceptionally willing to make my stay incredible. I can't forget to mention the staff at the 10 spa. Professional, courteous and accommodating are words that come to mind. Most importantly during my check out I had a descripancy on my credit card that was an oversight on my behalf and after being transferred back and forth from front desk to ten spa I got a little frustrated and may have come off rude in my tone to the front desk, but yet they managed to remain calm and professional and help to explain and resolve the issue in a well manner. I wish I would have stayed longer and will definitely be staying again. I will recommend this hotel to everyone I know, actually I've already posted a status on Facebook and Twitter commending the hotel. Once again Thank You for making my stay as wonderful as it was!

Room: was a good size with sitting area and couch. closet had two bath robes iron and board. bathroom was small but functional. towels were fully stocked for two people. neutrogena shampoo, conditioner, body wash, hand soap and lotion provided. scope mouth wash provided also, shower cap and shoe mit. shower only no tub which was okay but the shower looked old and stained graute but clean. could hear people in the hallway but it wasn't noisy nor disruptive.

Hotel Lobby: amazing and classy.

Food/Restaurant: lounge didn't have a good selection of food but tables and chairs were nice, staff was attentive and accommodating, piano player and band were a nice touch. breakfast are in the morning was fabulous, came free for me and my guest had buffet style... danish pastries and cheese were yummy the eggs benedict and ham were delicious, the cooks were nice and friendly.

Valet: was quick and friendly and cute

Overall: A or 4 stars out of 5

PS: There should have been free internet but it cost $15 for 24 hours which is too expensive!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank 204pecitygal
Reviewed April 30, 2011

I had a spine-chilling and poor-serviced stay. I'd prefer my own room. It was loud. It was uncomfortable. I'm still speechless that this high-class hotel is yet terrible.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank Kicking_Playa
Reviewed April 3, 2011

27 – 30 March 2011. On check in they gave me a choice of a certain kind of bed or feather bed with feather pillows and comforter. I chose the feather bed. First floor room. I liked this hotel. It has obviously been around awhile but is well loved and cared for. Regarding the age, the only things that seemed less than 100% were the caulking and grout around the tub (the tiling around the soap dishes wasn’t the greatest) and the carpet on the outside wall was not nicely finished. My other complaint is that I was on the first floor (not the ground floor) and the lights in the front of the hotel shone on my window. It wasn’t possible to completely block the lights out – the blackout curtains wouldn’t completely close and the pink curtains did not close. Still I managed to block out most of the light and slept well. The room was charming with an older style, which I found charming. There was a relaxing chair (rocker and plush), older style tv, comfy bed, real glasses and a very effective ice bucket (still had ice in the morning). Bathroom had a lovely deep tub and a very nice shower head – the shampoo, conditioner, shower gel (Neutrogena), soap and mouth wash were nice. No coffee makers in the room however you were provided with a paper to choose what time you wanted your tea or coffee delivered on a silver tray (along with a tasty biscotti) – nice touch! I had dinner twice in the lounge – the Palm room and enjoyed it very much. The meals (one was perogies the other Caesar salad) were very good, reasonably price, well served and came with incredibly good rye bread. Drinks were tasty and reasonable and I enjoyed the piano music from my leather chair. Most of my business in Winnipeg is in the south, but if I had occasion to be downtown again, I would enjoy returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Jacalope
Reviewed February 24, 2011

We love old hotels and are willing to put up with some dents and scratches. If you want a perfect cookie cutter modern motel room, you may not like the Fort Garry. We have stayed at the Fort Garry perhaps a dozen times over a decade, and have booked 3 more stays for later in the year. We've stayed in basic rooms and suites.

Any issues are promptly resolved. We have never had any problems with desk or housekeeping staff, all are courteous and friendly in that charming Manitoba way. The complementary breakfasts are a delight. The public rooms and spaces are breathtaking. The hotel is convieniently located and plenty to see and do within walking distance. It is only a short walk to the train station. I cannot praise the Hotel Fort Garry enough!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Granny-Gourmet
Reviewed February 17, 2011

I always wanted to stay at Fort Garry Hotel, but could never afford it when I was younger and lived in Winnipeg.
I no longer live there, but when the boss told me I was going to Winnipeg on business and I was staying there, I was actually pretty excited.
Check-in took forever, as it was late at night and there was no-one at the desk. I had to ring the bell a few times for service.
The room on the first night was shabby to say the least, with old tired carpets, poorly repaired water damage/plaster-work and beat up furniture. The heat wasn't working, so it was also cold. I mentioned to them that first night I was disappointed, as the room didn't live up to the hype. I was too tired to switch that night, so I asked them to move me to a new room the next day when I was at meetings.
My breakfast was delicious, but incorrectly prepared, and they forgot my cream.
The room they moved me to was only slightly better then the first, but it was way, way too noisy since it was located right at the intersection of 2 hallways. The amount of dust on the curtains in the second room was actually pretty alarming.
There were a number of us there, and our experiences were all so varied as we were placed very randomly throughout the hotel, but nobody left thinking it was anything better than "average".

I was so very disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank RCSweets
Reviewed February 9, 2011

This is an old hotel, and those who enjoy history will enjoy staying there. Please, however, be prepared for old, tired rooms. Our bathroom ceiling was peeling, fixtures were rusted, the decor was dated/not charming and there was mold in the closet. Room service was prompt, and the free tea service is a nice touch, however, when I asked the front desk for ear plugs and an eye mask, I was dispassionately informed that there were none. I asked about cotton balls as well...None. The walls in this hotel are paper thin (not uncommon for old hotels) and so the next door neighbour's 1AM movie bled through to our room. What high end hotel does not carry something as basic as cotton balls? No solution was offered, either.

The gym facility (in the adjoining building) is very well-equipped and free for hotel guests. We had asked upon booking (at the front desk) about the hot tub (this was a deciding factor for staying there) and assured one would be available. They failed to tell us that the hot tub shuts down for most of every Tuesday for cleaning. Had we known that, we would have stayed at our other choice of hotel, which would have been much nicer asthetically and offers better customer service.

Finally, the requested 9:30AM wake-up call arrived at 6:30AM.

Not a restful stay. Not a memorable stay. Not a stay to be recommended nor repeated. It was a disappointing experience.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple