“Amazing food, great atmosphere, great service”
Review of 295 York - CLOSED

295 York
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Contemporary, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between Donald & Smith
Transit: We are a quick, 2-block walk from the Graham Avenue bus stops located beside City Place and MTS Centre.
Description: Carne is a new Italian concept from WOW! Hospitality featuring an incredible menu from Chef Michael Dacquisto. The menu showcases some classic dishes from Pasta La Vista and Dacquisto's restaurants, in addition to new specialties such as Wagyu beef, AAA beef, and Bistecca Fiorentina. Parking Available.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
“Amazing food, great atmosphere, great service”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This place is outstanding. I went in for a lighter super and ordered off the lounge menu. The first thing I ordered was good that I ordered a second item plus dessert, so it was no longer a lighter supper. Oh well.

I started off with the Sliced Beef & Crostini (smoked tenderloin, guinness mustard, horseradish cream, parmesan, arugula) and it was honesty one of the best things I'd ever tasted. All of the flavours blended perfeclty together, and even though I normally don't like my steak rare, the rare flavour was amazing with the other toppings.

Second thing I had was the calamari. It was perfeclty tender, although I thought the breading was a little too salty. However, this was more than made up for with the amazing homemade tzatziki.

Finally I had the chocolate torte (sponge cake, mousse, ganache, shortbread, caramel gelato), and it was one of the best desserts I've ever had. All of this cost under $30, plus another $15 or so for drinks.

The service from Karl in the bar was great too. He was friendly and helpful without being overly "buddy-buddy". Some other reviews on Trip Advisor mentioned how great Karl was, so I wanted to as well. He's an asset to this restaurant.

Everyone in Winnipeg should try this place. I can't wait to come back for a full supper and try the full steak dinner.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank WinnipegTraveller045

winnipeg
“great appetizers & cocktails”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We went to Lobby on York for appetizers & cocktails before the Eagles concert. I have been to this restaurant a couple of times when it first opened. Enjoyed it then, but wasn't sure what to expect because it had been so long. I was pleasantly surprised. We ended up sitting in the lounge and had great service. They were fast & efficient because they knew we were going to the concert. Everything we ordered was incredible & the cocktails were done perfectly. I am now obsessed with going back because in Winnipeg this quality & standard is few & far between.

• Visited September 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
“Best Restaurant & Waiter in Winnipeg!”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Wow, what a great experience. Was surprised to see that this restaurant was listed as #76 on trip advisor because by my standards it is #1 in Winnipeg! Arrived at the restaurant at 4:45 pulled on the door handle & found much to our surprise it was closed. I guess they are not prompt with their 4:30 opening but Karl did arrive to let us in. Well thank goodness it got better! Karl was one of the best waiters we've ever had! He was attentive, knew the menu/products well & made great recommendations! We started out our evening with a ceasar & glass of chardonnay both excellent. Next we had the oysters best I've had outside of the East Coast! For our entrée my husband had the lamb duo which Karl recommended & I had the special, steelhead trout. Both were excellent! We felt the portions were ample and couldn't tackle desert. Make sure to sign up for the Loyalty Program before your visit as you get a free appetizer or desert. I just found this out now, so my husband and I will be heading back shortly. This will be our go-to steak & seafood restaurant!

• Visited September 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We had been at this restaurant in the past, and the food was delicious. We researched LOTS of different restaurants to hold our 25th anniversary dinner party. After detailed consideration, we chose The Lobby. We called the restaurant, made a reservation, and emailed details of our reserved room, menu choices, including appetizers. When we arrived at the restaurant, we were asked if we minded to sit at the bar, with all our invited guests, to have drinks and our appetizers would be served there, that WAS NOT what was supposed to happen....it set the tone, very negative! We were VERY disappointed! We refused to do this, and reminded them that we had reservations.
A short time passed and our semi-private room was ready, we proceeded there, to have our drinks and appetizers.
It took a bit of time before our guests, and us felt "welcome" to be there.
The food was good....that's why we chose this place, our waiter was very good....
I just wouldn't trust The Lobby with an important event again. And that's unfortunate!

• Visited August 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
“Our opinion - Best Restaurant in Winnipeg”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

The reviews of The Lobby, we thought, were probably a little over done - NOT SO. It really does have wonderful food, different, interesting atmosphere and our server, Karl, was unparalleled. He was very helpful, attentive and entered into our mood and made the dining experience exceptional. When my husband expressed an interest in 50's cocktails, Karl suggested the Negroni which my husband thought was awesome! My husband had the lamb duo which he will definitely have again (once again Karl's suggestion). My husband especially liked the interesting and different sauces. I will have the small filet again, besides being delicious, the portion size of 5 oz. was just perfect for me.. The chocolate dessert was wonderful. If you join the loyalty club, you get a free appetizer. We chose the crab cakes duo which was fantastic. The entire experience was a must do again as soon as possible for us.

• Visited August 2013