“Busy hotel a little worn around the edges, but nice staff.”
Review of Victoria Inn

Victoria Inn
Ranked #22 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed March 8, 2009

Stayed here in early March 2009 on a business trip. Overall, I got the sense that this is an extremely busy hotel hosting meetings and conventions as well as large groups. While the front desk and catering staff are very friendly and helpful, one gets the impression that they are habitually worked off their feet. As a result of the heavy traffic, the hotel is also looking rather worn around the edges.

Location:

Extremely convenient to the airport (not far outside the gate), but not located anywhere you'd like to walk for shops or dining -- it's pretty much located in the heart of the airport industrial park. The only food outlet within easy walking distance appeared to be a Subway outlet in the building across the street. The hotel does provide a complimentary shuttle service, though, to downtown Winnipeg or for a return trip to the airport.

Room amenities / environment:

Stayed in the 500 block of the hotel. Furnishings and decor are somewhat dated. Bedding not the best quality -- sheets were pretty threadbare and the pillows had the consistency of bread dough (I honestly wasn't sure if they were filled with feathers or foam). The room was clean enough, but had an odd smell which persisted, almost as if a pet had peed on the carpet. A light-coloured stain in the corner supported that thought. In the hallway, a heavy rain had caused the roof to leak, with the ceiling tiles pushed aside and plastic buckets set out to catch the drips. A musty smell suggested this wasn't the first time.

Free highspeed internet is available via DSL (cable provided) or wireless. The wireless reception seemed patchy in the guest rooms but strong in the common areas of the hotel.

Plus: Small fridge included in the room, always a welcome touch.

Food:

Due to the lack of anywhere else in the immediate area to eat, the only choice is the in-hotel restaurant and lounge. The menu has a good selection and reasonably priced, but don't expect fine dining -- quality is very average.

Didn't test out the water park or other amenities.

Overall, this is an average place to stay for a work trip or an airport layover, but I wouldn't recommend it for the vacationer looking for a higher-end hotel experience.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank JennyCanuck

Reviewed November 19, 2008

While I have no particular complaints about the hotel room itself the customer service we received was appalling. I left my wallet in the hotel and didn't realize until I was getting on a plane to leave. I called the hotel who found the wallet and asked them to courier it to me as the wallet had my credit cards and drivers license. It was a comedy of errors after that. No calls to let us know the status; asking us to fax them information that they then promptly lost; writing our address down incorrectly so the courier company wouldn't accept the package and then not calling us to let us know - all in all a terrible experience. We finally had them courier the wallet to our daughter who got it to us. The hotel employees we spoke to showed no sense of urgency at all during the entire period. In addition we tried to get hold of the manager and were told he/she was unavailable. We never received a call back from them during the whole period.

I would never stay there again as a result of this incident.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2008

I chose the hotel for the proximity of the airport and the location of my visit. It's the second time I came and still like it. The room is clean and not old at all. I tried the room service twice and it was fast. The personnel is nice too. The always aren't that clean and the is a lot of group meeting so sometimes crowdy on the first floor. The hotel have a nice pool but I haven't tried it. It's not the best place in Winnipeg but for the price and location is a good average mark.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank CdnTravelFan
Reviewed July 31, 2008

My family regularly stays at the Victoria Inn in Winnipeg and have done so for the past three years. Our most recent stay was from July 25-28, 2008.

Given that we continue to go back one can assume that we like it. Overall or experiences have been good, with staff being responsive to our questions or concerns, and any difficulties that we have experienced have been rectified. We have had some difficulties with noise and rowdy parties on several occasions when there have been weddings, but those were responded to by security when we called, and we were compensated for our troubles. We've had family or friends stay at this hotel upon our recommendation and they have had similar experiences, both with having some rough nights, but generally being pleased with the response by the hotel staff to deal with issues. I've questioned why they don't seem to put all those there for a wedding/party on one floor or in one area. Once when we stayed there was a major wedding "afterparty" right next to us, which resulted in much noise from yelling, singing and running around in the hallway. There were people banging on our door at 3 in the morning. When reported the security immediately came and shut it down. Staff were apologetic, not just to us, but to others who were checking out the next day too, asking if they had any troubles, etc.

We generally request a standard rooms with two queen beds. When booking we ask for a room in the 220s or the 320s as these rooms are completely renovated and overlook the front lot where we try to park when possible. Those rooms are spacious, with mini-refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot and wet bar area. The bathrooms are equally spacious. The furniture is average. We've found the rooms to be clean and generally well maintained, though in the three years that we've been staying we've noted it to be less so. The hotel has become increasingly busy so I suppose it is to be expected that it would be more difficult to keep up. This past weekend when we stayed there were 3 weddings on Saturday night and 1 wedding on Sunday.

The hotel restaurant "Chicago Joe's" has been a hit with our kids. The staff are friendly and we've been pleased with our visits, with their attentiveness (eg. refilling drinks, clearing table swiftly). The food is good in both quality and presentation.

The pool area is wonderful for children up to the age of about 10 or so. The area is set up with a dinoaur theme. The pool is graded with a 0 depth entry and at it's deepest is perhaps 4 feet deep. The waterslide is great fun and enters it's own pool of water, seperate from the pool, which helps to avoid common injury of people landing on eachother! There are also three small waterslides that enter in the pool, one small one which is for babies/toddlers and one that is designed for the preschool aged/sized child. Our kids, ages 4 and 7, LOVE the pool area and we spend a fair bit of time there when we stay at this hotel. There is usually a staff person in the pool area, though this isn't consistent. On the negative side in regards to the pool area is that while they have rules about "proper" swimming attire, they don't enforce it (really, how could they?) and there are people in the water wearing pretty much anything (I've seen kids in pyjamas, teenagers in pants/t-shirts), and also that while there are rules that kids under the age of 12 must be accompanied, there are often times when there are children around with no parents in sight. This past weekend we counted 10 kids in the pool, two of which were ours, and we were the only adults in the pool area! During busy times, such as Spring Break, we stay away as it quickly becomes overcrowded, dirty and rowdy, but that is much the case with most places at this time!

Overall I would recommend this hotel for a stopover or general family travel. It is an average hotel, with average accomodations, and friendly staff. Weekends tend to be louder because of weddings/conferences, but staff are open to hearing from you if there are any problems because of that.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank destinationthere
Reviewed June 24, 2008

Oh where should I start with this hotel? To be honest I give them credit for trying. The staff are very nice, polite and for the most part, very helpful. But that is just about the only positive thing I have to say about the hotel. Let me also say that I am not a picky person - I will pretty much stay anywhere as long as it is clean.

We requested a non-smoking room. Upon arrival to our room on the 4th floor - it reeked of smoke. There was a non-smoking sign on the door - but cigarette butts were in the air-conditioner. Every time we turned on the air-conditioner all we could smell was smoke. We left a can of air freshener in the closet for the next person to use. LOL!!! Unfortunately, we were not able to get another room as the hotel was full.

There were BOOGERS (actual boogers) on the inside of our shower curtain. The towels were stained and generally nasty looking. We were given 4 towels and 4 wash cloths for the first two days and then only 2 for the next 3 days. We called for additional ones - but never received any.

You are not supposed to bring towels from your room down to the pool - yet when you arrive at the pool there aren't any towels to use. There is a giant cart with one clean towel at the top and the rest of the shelves are filled with wet dirty towels that other guests used and didn't put into the bin.

The hallways are littered with room service trays, garbage and other debris. It is dirty all over plain and simple. Not good. Not good at all.

Their parking is a bit problematic as well. Since it is also a conference centre - the people attending the conference also park there - so when we arrived we had to park quite far away and drag our luggage across the parking lot.

The location is great. Close to the airport and in central Winnipeg so that was good.

It wasn't a great stay - I was kind of disappointed with this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank canuckgal33
Reviewed August 18, 2007

Started off Friday afternoon at 4:15pm.. room not ready come back in 45 minutes?? Let us into the pool area but had no where to put our belongings so just the kids swam. Also gave us breakfast coupons for resturant due to the room not being ready.

Finally get the kids room that I paid $189.00 plus taxes and it was not even the theme we asked for? Again told sorry. Kids bathroom had no running water for the taps were broken?

Next morning we all left for a day at zoo.. Back at our room 4pm and still not even cleaned? Called again told sorry again and that it would be cleaned right away.

The rest of the night was trips up and down the stairs due to remote not working and calling front desk due to movie channel problems

. Then just like Cinderella at 12 midnight all hell broke loose on the 4th floor. Remember this is a $189 a night with 3 kids in our room 6,4 and 2. Evidently there was a wedding and "Britney" had too much to drink!! I am sure everyone on the 4th floor knows her name. Or was it the "f "n" "B" that her boyfriend referred to her!! Anyhow another call to the front desk to complain. They told me security was on it?? Must be why they ended up outside the hotel for everyone to hear and see.. anyhow pretty disappointed.. not even a offer of another coupon in the morning.. I was glad to get my kids out of there..

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank kostynk
Reviewed February 3, 2007

I stayed at the Victoria Inn from December 29th - January 2nd with my boyfriend. Two of our friends came & stayed at the hotel for a couple of nights for New Years. We had a huge room, which was immaculate and much appreciated after a 14hr flight & emotional reunion! The bathroom was big and it had a fantastic bath and shower. It was cleaned daily & we were provided with fresh towels daily too. Our only slight, and I mean slight, whinges were that we got woken up very early by loud children running up and down the corridors on New Years Day! I had to take the elevator 5 floors to get ice and the food was a little overpriced. Overall we had a great stay and would definitely return. The hotel even provided a shuttle bus on New Years Eve, to take & collect us from our celebrations! Fantastic hotel, pleasant staff, we will be returning!

Stayed: December 2006