“Still just average.”

Ranked #22 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Canada
“Still just average.”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Stayed again in early December for a conference. Check-in was smooth. Was told we were on the 5th floor and that we'd need to have our room key to access that floor from the elevators. Was also told our key was wireless, so-to-speak. We didn't have to insert the card in the room lock, but just wave it in front.

When we got to our room, I had to wave and wave and wave the key in front of the key reader to get in. Finally get in the room and discover we had two beds, when I had reserved (and reserved VERY early for this conference) one king. Called down, and there was nothing available.

I was disappointed that our room did not have a bath tub, although the shower with many different styles of shower head was nice.

Wifi was free and relatively fast, which is very nice.

Is there something special about the 5th floor? If there was, I was never informed of it. I've stayed on "special" floors before - where you need a key to access that level, and usually there's some perks. Far as I was concerned - the key in the elevator was a pain, waving the key in front of the lock was a pain, and at least I had to share a small bed with my husband when I reserved a king, and I couldn't take a bath...

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
victoriainnmanager, Director of Sales at Victoria Inn, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Guest thank you for your review.
We will be using your comments to review with staff that an upgrade is not an upgrade if it’s not what they guest wants. I am sorry that you were not provided a king be as requested. Our 5th floor does have a few extra amenities in the room and the added security of the cards access as well we do not permit kids on this floor as well. It's not all what you see or hear but what you don't and some guests really enjoy this floor. The new cards are not a wave, although that is what most people think to do with them. The new none swipe cards are just a hold the key to the lock (don't wave it) this allows the lock to read the key in less than a second and open the door. Long term this will allow for programming of keys to smart phones and then you won’t even need to carry the key. We appreciate your business and hope you will stay again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Brandon, Canada
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I stayed there on the night of December 14 2013. Phoned the hotel directly as my plane was late and I knew it was close to the airport. They charged me 179 plus taxes (200) for one night. The room was very cold, but we were tired, so we turned up the heat and waited. We ended up sleeping in all our clothes, and it was still cold. On checking out, several other people were also complaining about the heat. Assistant manager would not even listen to us, and just said in a sarcastic way "have a nice day".
Many other little things are broken or not maintained.
It is an old hotel and really showing it's age.

Room Tip: Do not book directly! Try booking online. Stay away from the front desk, as the kids are loud in th...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
victoriainnmanager, Director of Sales at Victoria Inn, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you for your comments. We are certainly interested in hearing from our guests experiences. It is the only way we can improve our service.
New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights in September 2011 to attend a wedding and it was just okay (you can see my previous review on trip advisor - room felt dated, they messed up our reservation but wedding part was good). Decided to try them again in December 2013 to see if they improved and in some ways they improved but still have room for improvement. Here is a break down on my recent stay:

The only reason I chose to stay here was because of the $50 off coupon from their facebook page, which brought the cost down to be a bit cheaper than our usual places. By using this coupon it brought the price down to $105.99 for the night (plus tax) which with taxes and fees comes to $125.33. I tried to reserve the room online using the coupon and their online reservation system would not accept the code on the coupon so I phoned them as I wanted to see what the final price of the room would actually be with the coupon and figured I would just reserve the room over the phone instead. I was told their online reservation system does not take the coupon (even though the coupon has a code on it to use when booking and the online reservation system has a spot to input the code). Okay, fine. They told me to hang up and book it online anyway (I asked if I could just book it over the phone and they give me a reservation confirmation number verbally but they said easiest is to book online - easiest for them I imagine!) and they would adjust for the coupon when I check in. Okay, did that.

Arrived at the hotel around 9pm. A very nice young man checked us in. He was nice, professional and very friendly. He was the highlight of our trip and was a pleasure to deal with. Checked into the room and the rooms have improved since our stay in September 2011. Nice decor, nice comfy king size bed with nice bedding (way better than previous stay), nice leather-look chair, etc. Big thumbs up to the Vic Inn on improving the look and feel of your rooms, it was a nice surprise from our last trip. The room needs artwork. There is no artwork of any kind on any walls, which we found strange and it gave the room a bit of a cold feel and look. Suggestion to Vic Inn is to add some artwork, even one or two pieces would really tie the room together. The room appeared clean and well taken cared of, bathroom was good too and I really liked the smell of the hand soap and products they provided. Our room had a view of the pool which we did not like, but it was not a big deal. It created a strong smell of chlorine and we would have preferred to pull back our curtains and see the actual outside instead of an indoor pool but because we were staying only one night and arrived late and were leaving early we did not bother to change rooms, we could deal with it.

When we went to bed we realized the smoke detector, which is located directly above your head when lying in bed, has a bright green light inside. It creates a bright light right where your face is which is very annoying if you like total darkness to sleep. It would be great if the hotel could take the bulb out of that smoke detector if possible or whatever to make the smoke detector still work but not give off a bright green light, or move the bed so it isn't directly under this green glowing light. You don't notice it until you turn the lights off to go to bed but it is annoying.

Shower has good water pressure, it was quiet all night and we had a good sleep after a long day of traveling.

When we left in the morning we could smell smoke in the hallway, and I think someone in one of the rooms close by was smoking even though the hotel is completely smoke-free. Yuck, hope they were fined as being a non-smoker smelling smoke is not pleasant.

Check out was very quick and easy, as mentioned total cost was $125.33.

When I got home I checked my credit card online and discovered the Vic Inn had charged my credit card $284.46 on the night of check in, presumably as a pre-authorization. This seemed high to me for a pre-authorization as it was $159.13 more than the total cost of our room. Is it common practice to charge a credit card 2.27 times more than the actual total cost (including tax) for a one night stay? I'm not sure but it seems high to me and my red flag went up - usually pre-authorizations are the total cost of the room or even exactly double the cost of the room or a flat $100 or whatever and it being a weird number ($284.46 which is 2.27 times the actual cost for the room) left a bad feeling in my stomach. I phoned the Vic Inn to inquire and they are looking into it, I am waiting to see the final adjustment come through on my credit card and I trust they will reverse $159.13 to my credit card so that everything jives appropriately with my bill. Overall though, I found this weird. The amount of pre-authorization should have been explained at check in so there is no surprises. Perhaps it was hidden on the check in form where you sign, but it should have been noted verbally, especially when it is a weird amount that is 2.27 times the actual cost. The last thing a hotel should want is a guest to go home, look at their credit card statement online and feel like something is wrong or strange and need to phone them for an explanation and them to have to look into it and get back to them. Bad way to end a hotel experience.

Overall, the room is a lot nicer than in Sept 2011, the staff were pleasant and friendly. But I don't think I will stay here again due to complications with booking the room online when using a promo-coupon, and the weird formula to calculate the pre-authorization and lack of explanation regarding the strange pre-authorization.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. Greywolfpack:
We thank you for your business and at least trying our hotel again. That is appreciated, and so are the comments from your perceptive.
As seasoned traveler you test the boundaries of our systems and processes and we thank you because we see how we can get better or change. The promotional code that is in very small print on the bottom of the coupon is a code for our staff to assign to the coupon discount to. The coupon does not direct you to book online, in fact does say to call the hotel for more information. When we promote coupons to be used on our website we have the “call to action” directly to BOOK ON LINE At www.vicinn.com and enter promotional code, “XYZ” (not a real code). We do see how this could be confused and will make changes to rectify in the future. As for the staff, on your reservation call they were confused by the coupon you were referring to regarding booking it on line so they thought the customer must be right and said that you could book it on line and they knew that we would be able to service whatever coupon you had on check in.
To touch on the pre auth concern the coupon was for $50.00 off which would have made your initial rate $155.99 plus the taxes of 18.25% = $184.46 plus the standard $100.00 for any additional services your may want during your stay and security the total preauth is $284.46. The coupon is not removed from the rate booked but is instead applied against the rate as a transaction.
All of your concerns are noted and have been discussed with all departments to address your very valid perspective. The smoke detector, Structural and hard wired and there for an emergency but we are looking at it. The art work, which the room you were in was just finished renovation and the art work should have been installed, our over site and it has been rectified.
Thank you again, we appreciate your business.
Thank you. We appreciate your input.
Brandon, Manitoba
Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel on many occasions with my family and enjoyed it.
The pool area is excellent for the kids, the zero depth entry pool is perfect for little ones. The water slide was great for our 5 year old as well.
The only downside is that the first few floors I find are really loud.
The 5th floor is much nicer and quieter, definitely worth the extra money is you want a good nights rest.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review we look forward to your return soon.
Dublin,Ireland
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Recently stayed at the Victoria Inn Winnipeg for business and I was really impressed with it. Check in was extremely fast and effortless and the staff were so courteous and helpful. I stayed on the Executive floor and had a lovely king bed - I have to say I love the 110% Clean Guarantee program the hotel have in place - it just shows that cleanliness is top priority for the hotel and that is the most important thing for me. I am looking forward to returning to the hotel with my kids to utilize the great swimming pool and water slide! Keep up the good work !!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you we are very pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope to see your again.
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I booked a room here for my parents' visit to Winnipeg. Everything was taken care of for them and it was a seamless and enjoyable experience. The staff recommended that we book on the 5th as it was meant to be the quietest floor. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Book on the 5th floor -- we were told it's the quietest.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your business.
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I live and work in Winnipeg so I don't often need to stay over in hotel's in the Winnipeg area. However on Nov 27 & 28 I was attending a conference and needed to stay over.
I was given a suite on the 4th floor. (4th and 5th floors are quitter-no kids running around). It had a very large living area with a fireplace, desk, two leather love seats an armchair and an oversized ottoman. It has a closet, a large screen TV, a mini fridge and a microwave and it's own full bathroom. Off the living area was a master suite with a full ensuite, large screen TV, king size bed, closet.
I mean it was nice. I threshold between the bedroom and the living room was uneven and a bit of a trip hazard. The living room area had no windows. (Only the bedroom had a window looking into the courtyard and directly into someone else's room!) There was no temp control for the heating/air in the living room (only in the bedroom area).
Everything was clean, handy and in order.
I'm always a bit picky about the water pressure in hotels and I have to say I was happy with the Vic Inn's pressure and temp. The bed/pillows were o.k. -nothing to write home over, nothing to complain about either.
Bottom line, I would stay here again. For those that are attending conferences here, you won't be disappointed with the rooms or the Vic's service.
The staff are very service oriented. Our conference was adjourning at a strange hour and they allowed us to check out after without charging extra. I had delivery's coming and the front desk accepted the delivery's and notified me. The food at the hotel is good. No need to eat off property.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 4th and 5th floor are quite. 5th floor requires your room key to move the elevator. Exc...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business