“A nice meal, but...”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 15, 2014

We have been to this restaurant several times and have always been pleased with everything. This time was also delicious, but a little disappointing. After a wonderful appetizer of calamari strips and some fresh, warm bread, my entree of canard arrived. It was gone in just a few bites. They were tasty bites, but I'm sorry to say that the single leg I received was rather bony and the meat was thin. Not what I would consider an entree portion... The veggies were delightful, and so was the dessert (which made my meal seem more complete than without). Maybe it was because we were using a Groupon this time? I don't know. Every place is allowed to slip once in a while. I'll definitely be giving this usually terrific restaurant another chance!

Reviewed April 24, 2014

It was a slow night at the restaurant, and the service was quite slow. It took quite awhile for our bottle of wine to show up, probably 5-10 minutes after ordering it. Our server was clueless as to the wines on the list and had no idea what to recommend for us. The first two bottles we chose were also ones they were out of.

The food was good, but we left wishing we had tried the other restaurant we had never been to on our list instead. The smoked duck salad was delicious, and the two other dishes we had were okay. The mussels in a tomato sauce tasted as though they used a canned tomato sauce and the drunken mushrooms were okay as well. Definitely not a place to write home about.

When our server commented how we had cleaned off our plates we said all but the one mussel that wasn't opened and she asked if it was because it was to hard to open. Mussels that don't open are not any good to eat.

The staff should be better trained regarding the wine list and the food being served. Overall disappointment for how excited we were to try this place. We'll give them another chance down the road as it may have been an off night, but there are many other places I have not been to yet as well as some favorites that I will visit before coming back here.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

We went on a Saturday Night. I must have driven by this restaurant a 100 times telling my self we must go there one day. Groupon had a coupon for LaP'tite France that I purchased in Dec..I am now questioning why it took us so long to dine there.
We did not recognize any of the wines on the wine-list. So our very friendly waitress offered us some samples. We settled on a very good house wine.
They had a special for just Groupon customers that got bread, two appetizers and dessert. The baguette was very fresh and the butter even fresher. I never had locally made butter.I thought my calamari was great till I saw the the escargot my wife order. I am used to 6 escargot severed in a special dish with garlic butter. I couldn't count how many were on her plate. She let me sample some. The sauce the escargot was a red wine based sauce. it is the BEST I ever tasted
I had the daily special. Pickerel in a basil tartar sauce. I have no doubt that this is the best fish I ever tasted. The rib eye steak my wife order was equal to my fish.

As we finished dessert we talked about what we would order on our next visit. and it will be soon

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Firstly, hubs commented on how he was astonished at how intimate the atmosphere was, even though this restaurant is right on one of Winnipeg's main thoroughfares and has 3/4 windows around the entire seating area. He is right and one has to be impressed if a man noticed!

Dinner was just the way it should be in a fine dining establishment, and others have commented on the leisurely pace. It is one of my pet peeves, patrons that go out to, what I call a "boutique" restaurant and complain how long it took. Seriously? When I want fine dining, that IS my evening out. If you want fast, go to a chain. We chatted with both our servers, extensively, to me another joy of these small private establishments. They are conscious of developing a relationship with patrons, knowing we WILL return. When the topic of speed of the dining experience came up we were advised that they only do one sitting an evening...so if you make a reservation at 5:30 PM they will NOT take another reservation for that table on that day. You might be told that there may be table available at 8 but won't reserve. Merveilleux!

Our meal was wonderful, although I admit I was disappointed that they were out of the duck. C'est la vie, it's one of the things that can happen at a small establishment and means I have to go back. My steak was perfectly cooked medium rare, tender and deliciously seasoned. Hubs raved about his escargot appetizer, and my one taste of his large portion was amazing, cooked to perfection, tender without any of the "rubberiness" that occurs too frequently. Wish I had room for more but was saddled with my own large allotment of "drunken mushrooms" which I didn't want to forgo. Homemade frites were crispy and light, chef's selection of vegetables a fascinating combination of parsnips, squash purree, asparagus and broccoli. Hubs raved about his Bourgonion and he almost ordered his own Creme Brulee instead of sharing mine it was so good. Light and delicate.

We will re-visit and highly recommend you check it out.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Last night my wife and I had an opportunity to dine out for a date night. It does not happen often for us due to lack of child care. We were really excited and wanted to go somewhere where we had prior positive experience. The short list included La P'tite France and 529 Wellington. We decided to go with La P'tite France, and made a reservation. We arrived on time and were seated promptly. Our waitress seemed friendly enough and asked for our drink order. We asked for 2 glasses of water and I believe this is when our service took a turn for the worse. My wife and I belong to a visible minority group which is known to be poor tippers. Our reason for not ordering any drinks is because my wife is pregnant and she cannot have alcohol, but I believe this may have been misinterpreted by our waitress as a sign of being stingy. We had a chance to browse the menu and made our selections. Our waitress came back with our water and began presenting the specials of the day. We advised her that we were ready to order and she began taking our order. However half way through she heard the front door open and interupted me to excuse herself. She then cleaned the table beside ours, sat the customers that just walked in, took their drink order, brought them their drinks, took their food order, and put it into the kitchen. My wife was furious about this but I told her to give the waitress a chance. Well wehen the waitress came out of the kitchen she started cleaning other tables and performing other tasks, completely ignoring us. We waited for a total of half hour since she sat the customers that came in after us and our waitress did not so much as to give me another look. At that point we felt unwelcome and unwanted. We got up to leave and only then the waitress came over to apologize. She didn't do or say much to convince us to stay so it is more apparent that she wanted us to leave. We drove straight to 529 Wellington where they were able to accomadate us on short notice and save our night.

Now maybe I am too sensitive and lack solid evidence to say that the waitress was racist, but there is no denying that the service was subpar and unprofessional. Needless to say I will not be returning, and for some reason I don't think they will miss my business.

3  Thank Tony W