“Omg pastry on Tuesday...yum!”

Prairie Ink Restaurant & Bakery
Reserve with OpenTable
Prairie Ink Restaurant & Bakery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #128 of 1,712 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Prairie Ink A bistro-style restaurant that started in 1996, as a wholly-owned part of McNally Robinson Booksellers. Local Whenever possible we use local produce and ingredients. We try to use in-season produce as much as possible to support local producers. Events & Entertainment We have hosted over 5000 author events, featuring local, national and international writers, speakers and artists. Healthy Choices We offer celiac friendly choices. Our baking and desserts are made in-house daily by our bakers. We use farm-fresh eggs from grain-fed chickens and Manitoba sourced menu items in season. Environment Our take-out containers are enviro-friendly and compostable. Our coffee is organic and fair trade.
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Airy meringues, luscious tortes, a chocolate bite to savour (think Sacher) and sooo much to try next time!

2  Thank annikarosenqvist

Reviewed July 3, 2013

For my beautiful wife (BW) and I a perfect luncheon contains modest sized portions (at an equally modest price!), original quality menu items, a good glass of wine, speed of service and of course gluten-free options (for the BW). Finding somewhere to meet these standards, particularly the 'original quality menu items' is always a challenge. We went to Prairie Ink for luncheon on Tuesday and were not disappointed. It ticked all the boxes!

Prairie Ink is a bistro style restaurant housed within the independent bookstore McNally Robinson, based at 1120 Grant Avenue Winnipeg. Opened in 1996 Prairie Ink has become established as a very popular venue for everything from breakfasts, brunches, lunch, tea and dinner.

For my main I selected the Tourtiere, the traditional French-Canadian spiced meat pie. It was made with puff pastry - all baking at Prairie Ink is made in-house by resident bakers. The pastry was superb, the Toutiere size a perfect one portion. It was served with a side house salad (spring mix, julienned carrots, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, house apple poppy seed dressing) - $11.

My BW choose the Prairie Ink Grilled Cheese, a wonderful variation on the classic dish, containing Brie, Cheddar, Goat Cheese, avocado puree, tomato, a shave of red onion, bacon and of course gluten-free bread - $10. To accompany our meal we were served a very pleasant Chilean Sauvignon Blanc (Errazuriz), $7 for a 6oz glass.

What more can I say? An un-rushed atmosphere, time to linger over coffee, superb quality food, a pleasant glass of wine, and a cost of less than $50. We will definitely return for further lunches.

2  Thank Mark H
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have never been before. I ordered the Cesar salad and the perogies which were amazing! Finished the night off with carrot cake that was to die for! The vodka lemonade can be dangerous because you don't taste the vodka so it makes you want more then once. I can't wait to go back and try more of the amazing food!

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I love McNally Robinson Bookstore but this restaurant has gone downhill. A few months ago my husband and I came for dinner and noted that the service was poor. We went back tonight and can confirm that the service is poor. We sat for ten minutes without even a glass of water. By the time the server showed up we were ready to place our full order. We sat for another 5 minutes waiting for our drink. I ordered a hard lemonade. When my drink arrived the lemonade was room temperature which resulted in a very quick ice melt. As you can imagine my $6 drink was soon diluted and flavourless. We both ordered the bison burger. I had sweet potato fries my husband potato wedges. The burger was okay. Both of our sides were inedible. I wanted to tell the server right away but she took a long time to return. Once we told her about the inedible sides she sent someone else over to let us know the sides were comped. Despite trying to finish my burger this new staff member stood table side to tell me how the staff were trying to do yam fries properly and that she really dislikes the potato wedges. We decided to order dessert. The carrot cake was delicious but again service was very slow.

Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

The fare satisfied our lunchtime appetites without fuss or complaint and we went on with our day. I only bother to write for those seeking "somewhere special" for their dining dollar. For me, it wouldn't be here.