“Lives up to their reputation.”

Hy's Steakhouse - Winnipeg
Reserve with OpenTable
Hy's Steakhouse - Winnipeg is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 1,712 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Winnipeg
Cross street: Portage & Main
Description: Hy’s Winnipeg is a local favorite since 1958 now located at the famous corner of Portage and Main. Hy’s offers 2 levels of dining for lunch and dinner in a modern warm atmosphere. So if it’s in the stunningly warm cocktail lounge or a quiet corner of the restaurant that you’re looking to enjoy “tender steaks and stiff drinks” Hy’s is the place to be.
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Few "name" restaurants actually live up to their reputation. Hy's is one of them.
First class service, delicious meal served properly by attentive and professional staff.
I enjoyed an evening here with my wife, but would not hesitate to return in any situation, from business to group.
I had steak. The accompaniments were perfect. Steak was done exactly right.
My wife had salmon. Done perfectly.
I truly enjoyed the ambiance of the old location, I didn't think the new one would be as intimate.
I was impressed. Modern and elegant.
A great place to come if you want to impress a guest or spoil yourself!

1  Thank Jeff B

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Excellent location at the famous corner of Portage and Main. This is one of Winnipeg's main stays for the business community and has been popular for years. Nevertheless, the service is excellent, attentive and friendly, but not overly so. The food was also excellent. Good value.

1  Thank WesternSkiEnthusiast
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I have been to Hy's on several occasions over the past 20 years at both the original location as well as the one on Lombard. Disappointing to see how many Winnipeggers gave sub-par reviews. We go a few times a year and almost always with our teenage children. I'll break it down by Pro's and Cons:

- outstanding filet - mine last night was, (as always) cooked to perfect. We also enjoyed cheese bread, the caesar salad (made right in front of you), french onion soup, stuffed baked potatos, along with caesar cocktails and a delicious Malbec. The food is consistently very, very good.

- superb service - something they are known for.

- elegant atmosphere. a beautiful, pleasantly quiet dining experience (unlike say the hustle and bustle of an Earls or The Keg).

Cons:

- parking - difficult to find parking and as a lady, I don't want to walk very far in heels. its also not fun to walk far in the winter months either.

- cost can be a factor for some people. For us, we believe we get what we pay for, but if you are not prepared to pay upwards of $25+ for a quality entree, may not be the right place for you.

I think my one complaint is that once your party is a certain size, you are forced to go with a fixed menu - which is fine, but I find the fixed menu to be over-priced and would spend less if I were dining as a regular customer.

All in all, Hy's is an excellent restaurant with amazing food and superb service. Its what keeps us coming back and would recommend it for couples, people looking for a quiet/elegant dining experience.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Hy's has a long standing reputation in Winnipeg as a great steak house. I have been over a dozen times and experienced average steak on more than half of those occasions. Frequently cooked wrong and at times the service is slow. It's not a place I'd go back to at this point and I wouldn't take business associates there as it isn't something that impresses anymore. I think it used to be and is standing on reputation.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We decided to eat a large but late lunch before embarking on a long haul back to home via a number of flights. We opted for steak and Hy's which proved to be a great choice. There are three menus; the full, a truncated version and then the lunch menu. With a long experience of US steakhouses I chose the lamb which was the best I have eaten so far in the North American continent. The accompaning creamed spinach was also excellent and the mushrooms perfectly cooked. My husband's prime rib of beef was also just what was required.

Service could not be faulted and we "rolled away" happy and content. Just to mention that the bar service was also excellent

1  Thank SueKot