“Superb and Relaxed”

Hy's Steakhouse - Winnipeg
Reserve with OpenTable
Hy's Steakhouse - Winnipeg is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 1,713 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Winnipeg
Cross street: Portage & Main
Description: Hy’s Winnipeg is a local favorite since 1958 now located at the famous corner of Portage and Main. Hy’s offers 2 levels of dining for lunch and dinner in a modern warm atmosphere. So if it’s in the stunningly warm cocktail lounge or a quiet corner of the restaurant that you’re looking to enjoy “tender steaks and stiff drinks” Hy’s is the place to be.
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We decided to eat a large but late lunch before embarking on a long haul back to home via a number of flights. We opted for steak and Hy's which proved to be a great choice. There are three menus; the full, a truncated version and then the lunch menu. With a long experience of US steakhouses I chose the lamb which was the best I have eaten so far in the North American continent. The accompaning creamed spinach was also excellent and the mushrooms perfectly cooked. My husband's prime rib of beef was also just what was required.

Service could not be faulted and we "rolled away" happy and content. Just to mention that the bar service was also excellent

1  Thank SueKot

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Whenever I am visiting in Winnipeg...I always go to Hy's Steakhouse! Their filets are the best! They have wonderful stuffed potatoes and great creamed spinach, also their Ceasar salads are awesome! If you are craving a juicy filet, an extensive wine list and excellent service and ambiance, then this is the place for you! You will not be disappointed, the staff are excellent and Carlos our waiter was wonderful!

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We had a group of eight, so I had the opportunity to try a lot of the menu. The seared tuna was a favorite, as was the beef carpaccio. The caesar salad was good as well. All of our steaks were good and at the right temperature. The cocktails are small (welcome to Canada), and the wines pricey compared to the States.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We've been going to Hy's for decades and like most fine restaurants things cannot always be great. We dined on a quiet Sunday evening in July and the restaurant was mostly empty so the service should have been spot on and it wasn't. We had the worst caesar salad ever served in Winnipeg. Even though we watched him make it, it came to us like last night's leftover salad; i.e. limp, soaked in dressing and tasteless. What went wrong? I can understand if he was a new waiter but this fellow has worked there for years. When our steaks arrived with baked potatoes, as requested, we waited almost ten minutes before the sour cream, bacon and chives showed up at our table. They should have come right behind the delivery of our dinner. Too bad ~ we weren't happy. Service should have been perfect especially on a quiet night.

1  Thank Fransel A
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We went as a party of eight and was set at a really great table that had a very private feeling! Loved that the host pulled out our chairs and really took care of us. Some of my favorite things would be that they had a mocktail menu (with fresh juices), and took care of us very well. We all sampled steak, their baked potatoes with great fixings, their macaroni and cheese, the black and blue ahi tuna, onion rings (the size of donuts!), and their cocktails! The only complaint was the garlic toast, which was too garlicky, but they quickly solved the matter and brought us out plain bread! It was a wonderful meal and I was so glad the restaurant staff were courteous and very helpful (some of the best service I have had in a long time) even though our group was at sometimes unruly! This restaurant would be a great place to have a fancy date! Loved it and I will be back, this time though with my soon to be husband!

1  Thank chelseakicks7