“Good spot”
Review of Peasant Cookery

Peasant Cookery
Reserve with OpenTable
Peasant Cookery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 1,641 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: King St.
Description: Peasant Cookery is located in the heart of Winnipeg, a food lover"s city. Providing our customers with fresh food, flavours and recipes is at the heart of what we do. Our passion for researching current food trends and updating our menus with unique ingredients has kept us at the forefront of the healthy food movement.
Chicago, Illinois
“Good spot”
Reviewed June 11, 2014

This is about as hip as it gets in Winnopeg. Good spot with good cocktails. Menu was a little meat heavy but of very high quality.

Visited June 2014

Toronto, Canada
“Good apps and good meats”
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Went to Peasant Cookery on a recommendation by our hotel concierge. Went with colleagues around 8pm on Tuesday evening. Service was great, servers were attentive and seemed like they trained and groomed the servers to be receptive yet lackluster. They were professional but felt like they were holding back on their emotions and personal charisma or maybe they hire that type of person to let the food speak for itself...

We had the beet salad and charcuterie board to start. They were wonderful. Beets were done well, with arugula sides. There were these peculiar 1-2cm thin crisp that reminded me of tiny caterpillars (Disclaimer, there were NOT Caterpillars live or roasted in the salad. These crisps only LOOKED like them) At first bite, I was extremely disturbed since it had the same hash marks and spots as real caterpillars and I had to poke at them for a bit before my mind could accept it was a crispy cracker of some sort. It was very off putting especially since I was dining at a restaurant earlier in New Orleans that we had found slug in the salad. Those crisps did not add to the flavor and I would recommend leaving it out completely. I've eaten bugs and things while traveling in China before but could not stomach staring at these crisps.

The charcuterie board was delicious, really enjoyed the mixture of sausage, pate de champagne and spicy mustard. For the 5 of us, we could have easily had 2 boards instead of 1.

I had the Berkshire Pork (Loin cut) for main entree. This was my first time having a Berkshire pork. It was juicy and nice with the mustard sauce. Had a good heaping of fat to give it flavor. Looked about 8oz in size. Not super impressed by it as I've had regular juicy pork done better elsewhere with more flavor without losing the meaty taste. The side dish of beans and walnut and Mac n Cheese were awful. Quite bland. The Mac n Cheese was runny, not cheese flavored or creamy enough and the bread crumbs on top were repulsive. I could not take more than a single bite. Very unfortunate that this had gone to waste.

Overall, meats were good, not sure about the side dishes.

• Visited June 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
“Great place”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I was dining alone and sat down at the bar where I encountered an incredibly friendly bar tender and in a short time we established a great rapport. Great drinks. Nice food. Highly recommend.

• Visited June 2014
Winnipeg
“Zzzzzzz”
Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

Almost fell asleep waiting for the salad/wine/main course/bill to arrive. Take your pick - all were slow.

The food was, well, ok. Some tubes of dough on a pile of fried onions pretending to be gnocchi. A couple of fish sticks on two asparagus spears (all chopped up to look fancy and maybe to hide the fact that there were only two).

The salad was better. My wife liked the fish better than I. We agreed that the gnocchi wasn't the best.

Montreal, Canada
“Truly superb!”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Half an hour into our Friday-night dinner at Peasant Cookery we started wondering about the logistics of moving to Winnipeg—this place is that special! Not many restaurants get a full 5 stars out of me, but if our one-and-only visit was representative, then Peasant Cookery has perfected a unique combination: creative takes on traditional Manitoban and Canadian dishes, warm and inviting ambiance, and excellent service.

Charcuterie platters are often much the same wherever you dine, but whatever Peasant Cookery is doing to their cured meats and patés elevates them to haute cuisine; absolutely do not fail to order this if you visit! The beef tartare I ordered was also distinctive, I'm guessing because of the use of smoked egg yolk. For the main course I had the locally sourced pork chop, tender and succulent, and smothered in a mouth-watering sauce. The fat-averse would have run screaming from the thick layer of blubber at the edge, but a true carnivore knows that the fat is where the flavour lives, so I was glad the chef hadn't deprived me of mine. My fiancée had the aged cheddar gnocchi, which, though well balanced in consistency and flavour, was perhaps a bit single-minded for a main course, and might have been better as an appetiser.

We had a different wine by the glass to accompany each dish (i.e., four different wines), all selected by our excellent waiter. These were distinctive and very well matched. We also enjoyed the two house cocktails we ordered, and I was impressed by the wit of the waitress who delivered these; as she placed on the table a full glass that had ginger as a main ingredient, she quipped, "Let me just rest this here, gingerly!"

Peasant Cookery isn't aiming at a formal dining experience, but the ambiance is classy; you wouldn't be overdressed in jacket and tie, but would be equally comfortable there in smart-casual dress. A lovely warm glow is provided by the antique-style globe lighting. We had one of the tables along the wall, and though we were very comfortable there, in future I think we would request one of their cosy booths, which looked perfect for dates.

We have so many great restaurants in my hometown of Montreal that I feel selfish for saying this, but I wish we could steal Peasant Cookery away from Winnipeg! No way would I dream of visiting Winnipeg without eating there again ... and neither should you!

• Visited May 2014