“Nothing special”
Review of Peasant Cookery

Peasant Cookery
Reserve with OpenTable
Peasant Cookery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 1,647 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: King St.
Description: Peasant Cookery is located in the heart of Winnipeg, a food lover"s city. Providing our customers with fresh food, flavours and recipes is at the heart of what we do. Our passion for researching current food trends and updating our menus with unique ingredients has kept us at the forefront of the healthy food movement.
Ottawa, Canada
“Nothing special”
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Dinner there was very average. Dishes were hit or miss. The bread they served beforehand was delicious but it just went downhill from there. Had a beet salad as an appetizer and it was medeokre. I always have a beet salad when I see it on a menu, but this was the most bland. It was also lacking in all of the good ingredients like goats cheese and nuts. My main was the gnocchi and it was al4ight. Not your traditional gnocchi so I wasn't too thrilled about it. It tasted more like I was eating tater tots. What really turned me off was the grit in my meal. Someone failed to wash the spinach thoroughly and there were so many bites with a sandy grit in it. I would find somewhere else to go especially for the price.

• Visited June 2013

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Server didn't keep us updated/dismissive - Oyster night”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I went there for a date night last night and the service was hit and miss, incredibly late. We arrived a few minutes before our reservation at 9pm and were seated about 9:15. The staff who sat us was very friendly and found us a spot on the patio (reso was suppose to be inside, nice option to move outside). Our waiter was nice, late 20s, early 30s. We each ordered a drink and a dozen oysters. He left and returned with our drinks about 20-25 min later. After about 40 min we called over our waiter and inquired about the oysters we had ordered. He said that the kitchen gets backed up and that was that. Ok, so I requested another dozen oysters as the clearly take a long time. Our first dozen oysters came out around 10pm (45 mins after ordering). Our server didn't check in about any other drinks or to order anything else, would have ordered food. At about 10:30 we still hadn't been checked up with again. Walked inside and said it had been a while, kitchen apparently closes at 10pm. Waiter just said again, 'very busy' didn't check to see how long it could possibly be or have any other response or recourse, (dismissive to us having been there 1.5 hours with one drink order and one appetizer), so we asked for out bill, he promptly turned to get it without another word. As he went to get it, a different server walked out of the kitchen and to our waiter with our second order who dismissed it in a second and brought our bill over. I was definitely surprised about the lack of acknowledgment over the amount of time we were there for and lack of attentiveness. We were friendly and calm, made the most of it, but it was a let down. Service is important and wether its being understaffed or another reason, the server made it feel like they were doing us a favor having us there and unappreciative for the business. Very disappointing. Im not typically a pub person, but KingsHead next door gives better service and even packed attend to their customers. (June 19, 2013)

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Kieramoletking
Winnipeg, Canada
“A slice of France in the Winnipeg Exchange District”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We actually had plans to go to another restaurant nearby but upon finding it empty (that's my one restaurant rule - never walk into an empty one), we decided to go here. This place was already packed but they very kindly made room for us at a table in the wine bar section. By luck, we were there on their "buck for a shuck" oyster night (every Wednesday). So oysters we had, as we'll as the charcuterie appetizer plate to share between the three of us. Let me just say that I am so glad I have made acquaintance with that charcuterie plate! An assortment of pâtés and salamis served with thin slices of crunchy bread, mustard and gherkins - all the meats homemade and exquisite. The oysters were fresh and delicious. I then had the mussels and French fries as a main - it's actually a starter but big enough for a main. That too was yummy. Mt companions had the tourtière and albacore tuna. I've had tourtière before but not like this - a tall, incredibly moist piece of sumptuous homemade pie. The decor is Parisienne French and it's a great spot in the heart of the historic Exchange District. We'll definitely go back, many times in fact.

• Visited May 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
“Good, but didn't blow me away”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

The food and drinks were tasty, but I wan't blown away. I have had other similar meals that were less expensive and service not as snobby! I would go back and try again as their menu changes monthly, but it won't be on the top of my list.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Funkworth
Halifax,Nova Scotia
“Great surprise”
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

First dinner stop on our five night stay in WPG
Great find
Lovely location and atmosphere
Good service
Lived the historic building with large sidewalk windows
Best , thickest, most tender piece of pork ever had!!!!

• Visited April 2013