“great”
Review of Peasant Cookery

Peasant Cookery
Reserve with OpenTable
Peasant Cookery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 1,653 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: King St.
Description: Peasant Cookery is located in the heart of Winnipeg, a food lover"s city. Providing our customers with fresh food, flavours and recipes is at the heart of what we do. Our passion for researching current food trends and updating our menus with unique ingredients has kept us at the forefront of the healthy food movement.
winnipeg
“great”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

beautiful and friendly Hostess, great food excellant service pleasant atmosphere nice viewportins were just right

• Visited January 2013

Calgary, Canada
“Authentic French”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Every time I visit Winnipeg I make one and often two visits to this authentic little French Bistro. I have been seated in both the lounge and main restaurant and they are both reminiscent of a restaurant/bar in Paris. Service is excellent with wait staff giving great advice on food and wine. The pickerel is a favourite as are the French specialties. Visit with your significant other for a Parisian experience or with friends and family for a wonderful evening. Anyone I have recommended this restaurant to has raved about it. In 2012 I visited 4 times and I am looking forward to my next mouth-watering visit.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Susanjl_12
London, Ontario, Canada
“Delicious & Cozy”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I was visiting a friend for the weekend in Winnipeg from Ontario, and I knew we were planning dinner for Friday night, so I looked around online, and found the Peasant Cookery. The menu had several delicious options, and it looked like a nice place, so we decided on that. We made reservations for Friday night at 7:30.

We arrived, and took a seat at the wooden bench beside the coat check. My friend had reserved the table with two wingback leather chairs as a treat, and the couple presently sitting at them, was taking longer than anticipated to vacate, so we had to wait awhile, but that was fine, as we sat and chatted. We did however have to ask the coat check hostess to take our jackets, it seemed she kept serving the new customers coming in, and forgot we were sitting in front of her, waiting. There was also a male hostess who kept coming by to chat and check on us, and to keep us updated on our table. He was great.

Finally we were seated. I loved the ambience. It was warm, and homey, and generally right up my alley. I love dining out and going to nice restaurants, but I'm not always comfortable in stuffy, upscale formal places. This place had a nice vibe of being down to earth, homey. I was super comfortable.

To start, I ordered the onion soup, and my companion ordered the poutine with bacon gravy. The onion soup was the most delicious, rich onion soup I have EVER had. I tried a few bites of my friends poutine, and it was delicious as well. The portion was a bit big for an appetizer though. By the time we were both done our appetizers, I was worried there was not going to be room for left for my main.

For my main, I ordered the beef bourginon, and she ordered the half chicken with sage and thyme spaetzle, currants, sweet potato, leeks, and chicken gravy.

After my onion soup, I had huge expectations for the beef bourgignon. It was good, don't get me wrong, but slightly disappointing. I was expecting a more rich, flavourful taste. I tried some of my friends chicken, and it blew me away. The chicken was juicy and flavourful, and the spaetzle was to die for. I wish I had ordered the chicken instead. The beef wasn't bad...just, at a $27.99 price tag, my expectations were a bit higher.

The portion sizes were good. Our waitress was great, checked on us a enough to make sure we were fine, but not over every five minutes either. The male hostess came back to check on a us a few times as well.

We got our bill - my meal, with appetizer and virgin caesar was $50. My friends was slightly lower at $45. More than I normally like to spend on myself for one meal, especially with no alcohol, but when ordering I paid no attention to price, and ordered what I wanted to eat. We paid our bill and went back to get our coats. Again, we had to ask the coat check hostess to get our coats. It was almost like we were invisible to her.

Overall, I would certainly go back to Peasant Cookery if in Winnipeg again, and I would highly recommend them to anyone.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Goatzillah
Winnipeg, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“top notch!”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

went with a group of eight so we were able to taste many of the menu options - excellent food and service - will return for appys and oysters on a Wed sometime soon!

Visited November 2012
Waterloo, Canada
“Pleasant Peasant”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I was initially worried that, judging by the price of the meal, the surroundings, and apparent quality of the food, that I would be served something that would fit in the palm of my hand. Not so. My slice of Tourtière was a good few inches thick, and loomed over the generous green salad served with it. My colleagues dinner (the Half Chicken) was also a satisfying heap of a dish. He commented that his chicken was the most tender he had ever had. The food here is superb.

To match the quality of the food, the restaurant interior is beautiful; retaining all the charm one would hope for when dining in the Exchange District. The jars of preserves lining the windowsills are a nice touch. The service here was top-notch; our waitress was pleasant, engaging, and very helpful. I was impressed with her knowledge of the wine selection, and the nuances of the bottle we ordered. Everyone here seemed genuine and happy. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to my friends, and I look forward to my next visit.

1/2 price wine (on selected bottles) every Tuesday!

• Visited November 2012