“very disappointing experience”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Riverstone Spa (Inn at the Forks)
Ranked #3 of 31 Spas & Wellness in Winnipeg
Winnipeg, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“very disappointing experience”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I have frequented all spas in Winnipeg and only visited Riverstone once in the first year it was open. It was a pleasant experience although nothing special, hence not my first choice to return to for any subsequent visits. Upon hearing of the recent renovation, I was curious to visit once again and decided for my Mom's 77th birthday to book us a massage . We visited on a weekday afternoon, as this tends to be less busy and more enjoyable. The receptionist showed us around upon our arrival. The change rooms are small and very warm as the sauna and steam room doors do not close properly and the heat escapes. The entire area is congested , as if too much is trying to fit into a space not able to contain it. You are at the spa to relax, not hurry to see how fast you can change and get out because of the heat.
You don a robe and wait in the lounge area. We had our massage and it was standard.
We then went into the steam room for a short while, my Mom's choice was not to stay long and she showered , whilst I chose to stay in the steam room a bit longer. Since there is no where to sit in the change area, nor would you really want to with the heat issue, I suggested to my Mom to wait in the lounge area. The chairs are comfortable and there are magazines. I wanted my Mom to wait for me in a familiar area, as she is elderly and has some dementia. I did not stay long and showered and went out to meet her. She was not in the lounge. I was alarmed and went to the front reception area, where I found her wandering there. She was upset that someone told her she could not sit in the lounge area , because she didn't have a robe on !
SHE WAS THE ONLY ONE IN THE LOUNGE at the time, she had her eyes closed and was relaxing, waiting for me. I would say 15-20 minutes tops. So much for the relaxing spa day. This completely ruined it. The receptionist (the same one who greeted us) asked about our day, and I explained what happened. She said, that you are not allowed in the lounge area if you have changed. I replied that she may have wanted to tell us that during the orientation.
I called the spa manager the next day to explain. She was the one who kicked my 77 year old mom out of the lounge for not wearing a robe, because it was policy ! Really, you must be kidding, she was the only one in the lounge and she may want to think outside the box in certain situations if she actually cares about the clients experiences. Not to mention the fact that this was not explained to us about the SPA RULES. The bad experience was completely caused by the staff .
For those visiting Winnipeg, Riverstone Spa setting at the Forks is a nice area, but has nothing to do with the spa itself. I strongly recommend Ten Spa in the Hotel Fort Garry, within walking distance of the Forks. Prices are in the same range and the experience/atmosphere/professionalism far superior. I have visited Ten Spa several times , with my Mom, friends and solo and love it, most would agree it is still Number One in Winnipeg . Enjoy.

Visited March 2013
9 Thank wings

Dryden, Canada
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Wonderfully Relaxing”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This was probably one of the best experiences I have ever had. I got a mani/pedi as well as a head to toe massage with my husband. Even he enjoyed the hand and foot treatment and left feeling better than ever. I preferred the mani/pedi more than the massage but that was because I had so many knots in my back that I was sore afterwards. I was so relaxed during the mani/pedi that I fell asleep. The staff really knows how to pamper you at this spa, they provide a snack buffet as well as infused water. I recommend the cucumber water. The locker room facilitates are top notch as well, they have a dry steam room, sauna, rainwater showers, and more. It really was bliss. I will return, hopefully soon.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Lady_Katka
Winnipeg
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“One Word...."Relaxing"”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I recently experienced the Anti-gravity foot and hand treatment at this Spa. Wow, what a pleasant surprise. Upon entering the facility, I thought is seemed quite small but was definitly well run facility. I am quite picky when it comes to cleanliness and this one hits the mark. I felt extremely relaxed and comfortable from the moment I entered the doors. The staff are very professional and experienced. The treatment took me by surprise, as you enter the room and take your seat in the chair, you are asked to choose your colors and then the relaxation begins. You lay back, close your eyes as they place a cool eye mask over your eyes and the treatment begins. From that moment on your eyes are shut until the whole treatment is completed. You do not see any of the scrubbing,filing, and painting and the best part no unnecessary conversation. Just lay back and let them do their job in the peace and quiet of the facility. Soft music lulls you into a deep relaxation, what more could you want. I have visited some of the top hotel spa's for this treatment and I can say I have found my new favorite.

Visited February 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Lovely atmosphere”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Events for a 50 minute massage, after the new renovations. Things are bright and fresh although I liked the old dark river rock. The massage was very good, I live the duvet in the bed, therapist was great, my only complaint is with the addition if steam room and sauna the configuration if the women's change area is poorly structured. If there would have been more than 2 people it was a no go. Highly recommend it for quiet and relax especially in the lounge with lemon grass tea and snacks before it after services.

Winkler, Canada
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Amazing”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

The staff is incredibly helpful and great to deal with. My wife and I will definitely return.

Visited April 2012