All reviewsassiniboine rivereach morningamenityamenitiesdowntowncanadacomfortbedding
Reviewed June 22, 2010

We found April, the proprietor, to be honestly such a nice person! We felt like family. She went out of her way to help us out on a couple of occasions (really sweet and appreciated). She's an amazing cook and her breakfasts were simply divine! We weren't surprised to learn her and her husband cook as a hobby. The house is amazing! We had the Crystal Heeg Suite and it was pure luxury to us. So comfy! We like to pick our B&Bs so we are within walking distance to restaurants. This place is situated in a lovely neighbourhood with gorgeous houses. We were 15 - 20 minutes walk to a couple of very interesting neighbourhoods for restaurants, so we felt this place worked out perfectly for us for our visit to Winnipeg. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2009

My family and I had the fortune to be able to spend the fial weekend of October at the Columns; we were in town for a family function and needed to be at a very central location. Our stay there really made our trop so wonderful! The place is a historic house located in a beautiful part of the city but do not be deceived by the word historic as the amenities are anything but historic! Our suite was beautiful,huge and considering the price ($150/day with breakfast) a real bargoon! The room was very comfortable; all the beds were a pleasure. At the same time the suite felt so stately. I kept imagining that this would be the kind of room the Queen of England would stay in! I have stayed in a lot of nice hotels; they paled in comparison to this place. The best part of the whole experience was the family who runs it! They were so warm and sensitive to our specific needs; our kids really took a big shine to them as well! In short, I would say if you are looking for an amazingly special experience to complete your trip in Winnipeg stay at The Columns! I can tell you that we will be staying there again on our next trip to Winnipeg!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 27, 2009

I was recently in Winnipeg, as my daughter was playing in the Club National Soccer Championships for U - 16 Girls. I also took in a 2 day conference during my stay.

When looking for a hotel room I happened to stumble across The Columns in my search for accommodations. It was a true find; certainly much more enjoyable then a small, stuffy hotel room (and certainly not at this price).

I spent 6 nights and stayed in the Henry Moore Room. It was a lovely , big room with a large, comfortable bed, huge bathroom and private balcony. The room also offered a nice sitting/reading area, as well as work desk and access to wireless internet. Other amenities included private phone, flat screen TV & DVD (with a selection of movie titles), coffee maker, mini fridge and in room wall safe. It was also nice during a longer stay to be able to use the laundry facilities (including detergent and fabric softner).

As nice as the room was, my favorite part of the stay had to be the scrumptious breakfasts. In addition to a selection of fruits, cheese, cereals, breads, pasteries and the best yoghurt ever, there was a fabulous hot creation - something different everyday.

April is a wonderful hostess and goes above and beyond what I'd ever anticipated. I was greeted at the airport and chauffered to their home (even though my flight didn't get in until after 11 PM). The next moring, after breakfast, I was driven to pick up my car rental and then led to the soccer field to be certain I didn't get lost and ensue I arrived on time. They have the most extraordinary family, and you'll need to stay more than one night to hear of their varied interests, experiences and history.

I couldn't have had a better stay. It was everything I expected and more. My only disappointment is that my wife was not able to make the trip to share in the experience.

If I'm ever back to Winnipeg, I know who I'm going to call.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank MyFathersSon
Reviewed November 25, 2009

April is a lovely lady.
The Heeg Suite is ideal for a couple needing a serious of nights where one can conduct business, relax, or use it as a base for what ever one has planned in the city and beyond.
The B&B is a classicly old building, the interior is all original but with excellent up to date clean modern amenities, a great combination.
My wife and I are from England and have lived in Canada for five years, we have stayed in various places.....B&Bs and hotels, this ranks as the most warm and friendliest place we have ever stayed in.
April makes sure that one has all that is needed to be comfortable.
April did not demand that we attended breakfast at certain times, in fact April waited for us to appear each morning, then she prepared fresh cooked items each day "from around the world," whilst we waited we had OJ, cereal, baggles, yoghurt, fruit, pastries, cheese, crackers, toast to help ourselves to, plus various choices of teas & coffees from many countries!
Tea/Coffee/Sherry is available 24/7 plus pastries etc., at 4pm each day.
There is secure www wireless included.
Off street parking.
Local transit.
River walks.
Also it must be said that it is very peacful both inside and outside the building.
My wife and I were in Winnipeg preparing a future move there from another province, we would not hesitate to use this B&B again and recommend it 100%.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2009

This was the end of our trip to Canada, and it was business/pleasure. When I looked at the Website for The Columns it looked just the kind of place we like to stay, an Inn rather than a soul-less hotel. But unfortunately the photos were a bit deceptive, which can often be the case admittedly.

Don't get me wrong April was an enthusiastic host and very obliging, doing the airport runs, and dropping us into Town, which was unexpected and much appreciated. But unfortunately the rooms although large needed some tender loving care, we were "up-graded" to the Crystal Heeg Suite as our original room the Henry Moore room, had a problem with the plumbing, fine no problem, but the top of the house looked like it was in the middle of renovation, plasterboard ceilings, which hadn't been finished off, the room's windows you couldn't see out of as they really needed a good clean, plug sockets coming off the wall, there were repairs to small bits of the walls, which had been filled but not painted, this really didn't do much for the ambience, it had all the amenities, but things were just tired, and the shower was cool to luke warm. But on the plus side the bed was comfortable and clean.

We had stayed at 4 B & B's/Inn's prior to this, and unfortunately this goes without saying wasn't the best, it was disappointing as we had high expectations given the website.

Once all the renovations are finished this could be a lovely place, perhaps we just picked the wrong time !

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business