All reviews assiniboine river each morning amenity amenities downtown canada comfort bedding
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I was picked up by April at the airport, not knowing and what to expect when i arrived at the accommodation. I was here for two nights - one night en route to Churchill and one night enroute Vancouver on my way back to Australia.

It was like walking back in time, to the year 1902. The beautiful large mansion exquisitably decorated. my mind bogled, so old but so warm a wonderland in front of a mirror. I was shown to my room. wow the bed was so big, the bathroom was huge - you could hold a ball and dance in it. Just everything was so inviting. it exceeded my expectations. After the long awaited refreshing and hot hot shower, i thought i would watch TV. Had second thoughts and slept like a log.

At breakfast time, there was so much to choose from and the special entrees on both mornings were yummie. All at a very long table containing the settings which gleamed and twinkled I met another guest from Germany and New Zealand. you could say we had a continental breaky.

I was excited to leave for Churchill by train en route, but i was very very sad to leave en route to Vancouver when the time came to depart, I said my goodbyes to Diamond, Josh, Max the dog and the two cats.

I totally recommend this B & B, it was reasonably priced for the wonderful friendly service which was availed to you.

Room Tip: all rooms have a personality of their own
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank janet074
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

We took the train into and out of Winnipeg twice in Oct 2012. April offered to pick us up at the train station, but we opted to walk from the train station to TC, all along the walking/biking path along the Assiniboine river....beautiful trees, riverside and only roughly 1.5 mile...made easy due to our light backpack only lugguages. April accommodated our 1 night stay prior to our train trip to Churchill and longer stay upon our return from Churchill. It is not easy to find B&B would take 1 night stay. All previous descriptions of historical mansion, matured & secluded neighborhood, beautiful & spacious rooms, comfy beds & common areas, marvelous breakfasts are all true. We partcularly like afternoon teas, chocolates and sherry, as well as available washer/dryer for use. So, with all personal services and amenities, the price is right. We did not find problems with lighting in the rooms (we stayed in 2 different rooms, one has a huge balcony) or soft beds. In fact, we felt vert luxurious in beds and slept very well.As to unsafeness around the area, we walked to the forks, the french quarters, the financial area, and the chinatown...we did not feel unsafe though there are some run- down area such as chinatown. However, because TC is a historic structure it needs some maintenance....which reflects nicely throughout the house....just some minor detailings are still needed (caulkings near shower area, windows, overhead lightings). TC is pet friendly (friendly Max and the cats), so if you are allergic to dogs or cats then TC is not for you. During our visits, we met several guests who are repeated and regular guests at TC.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I’d like to think that a B&B is your “home away from home”, and I can honestly say that is always the reception that is given at The Columns by April and her family. My husband and I travel extensively and always stay at B&Bs. When in Winnipeg, without any hesitation, we stay with April. Her home is a little over 100 years old with all the charm and personality of that era. It is situated on the Assiniboine River in one of the oldest, most respected neighbourhoods of Winnipeg. She is surrounded by beautiful flora and trees, architectural history, and great little eclectic shops and restaurants within walking distance. If touring the town is not your desire, there are many interesting books and conversations to intrigue you. The choice is yours to either enjoy the warm and inviting living room or relax and spend your time in the yard and other outdoor living spaces.

The rooms are spacious, clean and wonderfully decorated. The bedding, towels and all the little extras are always fresh and inviting.

Breakfast, in one word, is unbelievable! There is so much variety and all is homemade and wonderfully presented on beautiful china.

April shares her home and heart with us every time we visit Winnipeg and I can’t ask for anything more! Never a disappointment - always too short of a visit.

Room Tip: Henry Moore room has private balcony
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank J L
Reviewed July 27, 2012

First, the good stuff: The caretaker is a very nice lady, and her family is nice as well. They have a wonderful old house; very Victorian if you like that sort of thing. The rooms are nice and the suite had a great bathroom with soft towels and accouterments galore. The bed was good, with a ton of pillows. It was a bit too soft since the pillow-top mattress had an extra pillow-top on it. I simply removed the extra one and it was fine. The breakfast was decent since she offered a ton of extra side items such as cereal, cheese, bread, smoked salmon, pancakes, etc.

Now the bad stuff: This bed and breakfast is located near a not-so-good area of town. You have to go through there to get to downtown. There was a murder the night before we got there just two kilometers north of us, but overall, Canada's crime rates are low comparatively, so don't worry too much. Second, the windows upstairs do not have curtains, so in the summer in the morning, the sun comes up and you can't sleep because it's so light in the rooms. One would think that window shades are a requirement so the room can stay dark, but neither room we had had any curtains. This made for not getting a good night's rest at all. The house was under repair when we were there, but it wasn't too bad. Finally, the window air conditioner was so loud that it shook the wall when it shut off. This made it difficult to sleep in addition to the light.

So, the breakfast part of the "bed and breakfast" was the best part, but the bed part was definitely not, so half of the entire point of the stay wasn't great. Still, it was better than poor. The cost was a bit expensive as well.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank evanbonobo
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Completely concur with all the good things said in previous reviews.
April was wonderful, coming to fetch us from the station and giving us a short tour of the town on the way home. The actual house is beautiful and we were only sorry that our short stay didn't allow us to make more use of the lovely sitting room, balcony etc.
The bed was super-comfy, the bathroom was magnificent (....superb shower, and the only B&B we've ever stayed in where the bathroom was "equipped" with an array of colognes!), and there was a drawer full of movies in the room in case there was nothing on the telly we fancied!! It goes without saying that the place was spotlessly clean and organized, and yet at the same time very inviting and warm.
Others have already mentioned the breakfast.... and again, all I can say is - too bad we couldn't stay for longer!
If we're back in Winnipeg, we won't waste a minute looking for anywhere else to stay...we'll just pick up the phone and call April!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple