“A little gem in Winnipegs north end!”
Review of Luda's

Luda's
Ranked #106 of 1,653 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Cuisines: American, Ukrainian, Canadian
Dining options: Takeout
Dining options: Takeout
Gimli, Canada
“A little gem in Winnipegs north end!”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

One of north end Winnipegs best little secrets.....small yet very friendly atmosphere, and though it can be difficult to get in to, it's well worth the wait. If there is a finer Reuben sandwhich to be had, I've never had it......yes, including the NYC versions! Prices are very, very modest....especially when one considers the quality of the meals. We've been frequenting this place for the past 15 years and will be back time and time again.

• Visited March 2014
6 Thank Wapikianimoosh

“Small friendly place”
Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

Good diner food neighbor joint and it gets busy The ladies work hard make sure you tip it's not expensive

3 Thank Darryl K
Winnipeg
“Great food, friendly place.”
Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

Best Reuben sandwich in the city served on pumpernickel bread. Good place for breakfast. Fried bologna with your eggs and pumpernickel toast, does it get any better than that ?

Visited February 2014
2 Thank Derek B
Winnipeg, Canada
“As delicious a Reuben as I have ever tasted (including Montreal & NYC)”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

As I sat waiting for my husband to arrive for our lunch date, I had a great opportunity to soak up the quaint surroundings of this little place -Luda's Deli at 410 Aberdeen Ave. at Salter in Winnipeg's colourful North End. Day time TV was displayed over the front door for ambiance, perhaps, or to comfort and entertain the diners who were there for a meal on their own. Two merry old gentlemen walked in with the salutation: “Hi ya girls!” I was to learn that the “girls” were Kristie who takes care of all of the tables by herself and her look-a-like Mom Tracey who is in the kitchen and at the till. Both are big-eyed, full-lipped Ukrainian beauties. Shouts go back and forth when someone known to them arrives and in some cases hugs and kisses are exchanged (at least this was the case on the day that I was there).

Come noon, the place was full and I observed two finely dressed businessmen walk in, look at the full room and announce that they would try again tomorrow. They were unsurprised and not put out, in the least. By this time, I am thinking that Tracey’s home style cooking must be something else and we were not disappointed!

Coffee and water is self serve, which is a good thing because Kristie is too busy taking orders and ladling out soup-on this day the choices were Bean and Bacon or Borscht. We sampled the latter and loved that it was chock full of match stick sized beets that were the perfect texture.

“Kristie’s Clubhouse” was a delectable combination of tomato, lettuce, crispy bacon and sliced turkey. The wedge of meat had been put right onto the grill to warm it and pop up the flavour.

Sauerkraut and corned beef equally shared the space between the pumpernickel rye bread from nearby Gunn’s bakery and was as delicious a Reuben as I have ever tasted (and that includes Montreal and New York). The plentiful hand-cut shoe string fries were worth noting as well.

Kristie patiently explained, when I asked if the diner had been named after Luda, that the word is Ukrainian for “the people”, in other words this popular little place represents the “neighbourhood” and there are various menu items named for different real life persons.

Take cash and go early to avoid disappointment. Parking is only on the street and there are a couple of steps up to enter the premises. The businessmen determined that doors open at 7 am for breakfast and lunch from Monday to Saturday. They may be closed on the weekend over the summer.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank Kathryne G
Winnipeg, Canada
“SMALL, CLEAN AND HUGE”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is a small clean north end restaurant. I took my friend who was visiting from Vancouver. I told her this is not a fancy restaurant. I was happy she loved it. We had the reuben with fries and it was excellent. So big neither of us could finish. The borscht was very good. Service is always good. I just wish they had cold water it is always on the warm side. How many mothers and daughters could work this well together in tight quarters? I don`t think too many. Both are so nice to all. This is a north end treasure. One time the mother heard I feed a homeless man and gave me soup to take to him. God Bless these ladies!

• Visited September 2013