“diamonds are forever on a gold finger”

Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra
Ranked #34 of 206 things to do in Winnipeg
More attraction details
Owner description: For 60 years the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra has delighted audiences with its innovative programming and musical excellence. The WSO has become the celebrated hub of Winnipeg's rich cultural life and has gained international recognition for the International New Music Festival. Under the guidance of Music Director Alexander Mickelthwate the WSO's 2008-2009 concert performances feature world renowned guest conductors and artists, celebrates music from the great composers to the crowd-pleasing Pops. The WSO’s concert program runs September through May.
Reviewed March 12, 2014

The WSO outdid themselves with their "Bond and Beyond" concert celebrating 50 years of the various incarnations of James Bond movies. The orchestra was most excellent and highly enjoyable was the self-effacing and entertaining banter of conductor Michael Krajewski. I particularly enjoyed watching the percussionists - some very exciting and visceral pieces played with great artistry and skill.The guest vocalist Debbie Gravitte has a powerful "show" voice and good humour - at one point she was decked out as fembot when the program sojourned a while with Austen Powers. A thoroughly enjoyable evening.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

The Steve Bell concert was amazing, again better than expected. Natalie McMaster was also an amazing performance. Well done WSO, world class entertainment,

Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I have been subscribers forever, and we grow more fond of the WSO with each concert we attend. They are sublime! They make us believe the quote that "music soothes the savage soul" each time we go. We love the classical works best, but we also attend concerts in the New Music and Pops series. Our design-your-own subscription allows us to pick from all of the series and as many as we want. We usually attend 6 or 8 a year. The only time I have ever been disappointed was long ago when, on a Friday night, I expected to hear the full performance of one of my favourite symphonies of all time, Brahms Fourth. However, on that evening, they played only one movement. Horrors! I could not believe it! I went to the box office at intermission to relay my dismay. The lady I spoke with was more than sympathetic. She invited my husband and me back for the next evening, when they would perform the entire symphony, and gave us the tickets at no cost. We went, and enjoyed the sublime music as it drifted up to us in our favourite top balcony seats. The WSO is something we look forward to every year. It helps us get through our long Manitoba winters, and it reminds us that humanity is good. Thank you WSO!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

The Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra is considered one of the tops in Canada. It has a very eclectic repetoir from major classic works with artists from all major centres to pops and contemporary. Its annual festival of new music is the largest in Canada bringing in talented composers and musicians from all over the globe to present new works. The 2200 seat Centennial Concert Hall is ideal for large and small production with its excellent accoustics and site lines. If you are a fan of the arts, this a good place to start.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We love you and will support you always. My wife and I love music and we have always left your concerts with a song in our hearts. You make us proud to say we're from Winnipeg.