“Great Staff - lousy rooms”

Canad Inns Destination Centre Fort Garry
Ranked #42 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Be warned that if you stay at this hotel you need to be aware that the upgraded rooms are fabulous but if you land up in one of the old rooms you will be sorry you ever chose this hotel! I had stayed here before and really enjoyed the hotel - however I was shocked at the room I got on this trip -I arrived and was exhausted - the twin queen beds were lumpy - the bed springs on the one bed made me glad I was on my own as I could sleep in the other - not a great night. The carpet is old and stained - the tiles in the bathroom look awful - old stained and missing grout - (Take note that this is Not a cleaning issue -the rooms are just old and abused!
I pity the cleaning staff working in these rooms)
I was going to book out but decided to call the front desk - Denise could not have been a better ambassador - the staff moved me and could not have been more professional.
I write this so whoever owns this hotel can take note that upgrades are needed - but you must know this already!

Room Tip: Only stay in the upgraded rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank anafricanincanada
Wade B, General Manager at Canad Inns Destination Centre Fort Garry, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

I regret that your initial impression of our guest rooms did not meet your expectations. Your concerns were immediately investigated after vacating your room. However, I am pleased my Guest Service Agents were able to quickly amend your concerns and promptly provide you with another room. Canad Inns recognizes the importance of regular inspections and product maintenance to ensure we stay current in the hospitality industry. Over the past few years, we have facilitated many large renovations across the hotel including our banquet facilities, guest rooms, and common areas. We will continue to remodel our facility as opportunities arise to better serve our guests.

Best Regards,

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We came here for a school trip and have stayed in a different Canad Inns before and had a great stay so we were happy to be staying there. But this hotel is not to be rated any where near as good as the other one! When we arrived and checked in the staff were helpful, and we were given rooms on the second floor, so naturally we went to the elevator. There was 9 of us and we all piled in to the elevator it was a bit tight, but it should of only been a few second ride so we weren`t worried. Well, the two second ride never happend, it turned out to be a 45 minute ride that ended up in us walking up the stairs instead! When we got in the elevator and pressed the second floor button it suddenly lurched down and stopped. We pressed the second floor button again to no avail. We kept pressing the button for a few seconds for another few minutes so we pressed the emergency button we tried to press the open door button on the instruction of the elevator company. So then we called the front desk, we told them we were stuck in the elevator, she said she knew and other than that didn`t seem that bothered. She said the technician would be 10 minutes so after 20 minutes we called again she still didn`t seem bothered! then after another 5, we called again and said we wanted updates- regularly. Then the manager called and asked me how I was in a bright bubbly tone! When I expressed my concern she giggled on the end of the phone! She said the Technician would be ten minutes away. So then 10 minutes the technician opened the door! After we had used the STAIRS to get to our rooms we went to the front desk and still they didn`t seem bothered! The receptionist even told us this thing had happened before!
Now when we have a choice to use Elevators or Stairs we choose the Stairs!!!!
and also when we got to our rooms our keys wouldn`t work.
In My room only when my daughter sat on the bed it went sideways and then we heard something snap and then the bed would move like a see-saw whenever and whereever you sat on it.
It was a very bad experience for us and the school trip.
There was a total lack of customer care here for our stay and terrible experience.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We had a gorgeous room, very clean and quite roomy the way it was set up. We were attending Celebrations Dinner Theater for New Years Eve and decided to stay over night to be off the streets away from the crazy drunks out there. Check in was quick and efficient, even though it was super busy.

Before leaving to got to the show, the people above us were stomping around their room like a herd of wild elephants. We thought, well, we are leaving soon and by the time we get back, hopefully, they will be in bed for the night. Which they were. But, everyone else was not. All night long, all we heard were people up and down the halls, kids running down the halls at 3 am, people talking very loudly down the halls and doors slamming all night. It was frustrating to say the least to not get any sleep at all, and especially since it was 190 bucks for the night.

When we checked out, we was waiting for the girl at the front desk to ask us how our stay was....and she did not. So, we assume it was because we were not the only ones annoyed by the annoying noises all night. I would imagine they got a lot of complaints. But, how can you complain when you have no clue who it is making the noise?

It is too bad our night there was NOT at all relaxing, but at least we finally got some rest when we came home.

Perhaps some sound proofing is needed, as well as a notice posted in all rooms that you are NOT the only ones in the hotel, and to NOT let the doors slam shut.

As well, just after check in, we decided to go to Aaltos to grab a little snack before dinner since it was going to be around 8 pm for dinner. We went to the front counter, ordered ONE order of fries and it took twenty minutes to get them. While we were waiting, people were calling, looking for their room service orders. One person was told their pizza was on the way up....about 15 minutes later, they FINALLY took it up. For what they charge for room service delivery and the food itself, they could be a bit quicker to get the food up to the person ordering. And it was not at all busy in the restaurant at the time of the day.

Room Tip: I'd say a room elsewhere would be better and quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Wade B, General Manager at Canad Inns Destination Centre Fort Garry, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Darb H,

Thank you for sharing your experience during your stay on New Year's Eve at Canad Inns Fort Garry. Though I'm pleased you found our guest room product beautiful, I regret your entire experience was not as enjoyable. Our team takes many precautions on NYE to ensure a positive guest experience, including increased staff levels, additional evening duty management as well as guest surveys upon booking to deter possible post NYE gatherings at the hotel. In spite of our efforts, we apologize that we failed to meet your expectations.

Your comments are appreciated and have been used for training discussions across the hotel, and will be reviewed again as we approach December 31st/2013.

Best Regards,

Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

We had an excellent stay at the Canad Inns Fort Gary.we had a king suite, which is a very beautiful room. We had a couple night out package so we enjoyed the gift card , the champagne and the dinner theatre was a great time. What a great night ! Thank you Canad Inns . My hubby and I were both very pleased to have the gal from the front desk call and welcome us to the hotel. What a nice way to start our night. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Jmackenzi

Dear Valued Guest,

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with Canad Inns Destination Center Fort Garry! Our couples night out package is a perfect opportunity to get away and enjoy an evening at our hotel. The dinner theatre continues to be a popular attraction and a great addition to the number of activities our guests can enjoy while visiting.

We hope to see you again next time you need a mini-vacation!

Yours Truly,

Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in a theme suite over the weekend. The room was nice but the shower in the bathroom was really dirty. In the corner it had a thick brown smudge mark.

This was out second time in a theme suite here. The first time was also a bad experience as when we used the hot tub black filth came out of the jets.... What a way to kill the mood!

Overall I wouldn't choose to come back to this place.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We had gone to Canad Inns to plan our wedding. We were so thankful and grateful for all the help we recieved.
The banquet staff that we delt with Wade Barkman and Tannis Empey they were a blessing from the moment we walked in there. We had not much time to arrange everything we were so busy. They took the time to get all the details for what we were looking for from the banquet room to the set up the food and booking us a room for the night. We could not believe how much they had taken on themselves to make it so stress free for us. When we arrived at the hotel two days later for our wedding it was a dream come true. The entire staff from banquets, frontdesk, restaurant staff had taken care of everything we had asked for and more. We cannot thank them enough for making our dream wedding so special and ellegant.The banquet room was set up so beautiful the food was excellant and the service was fantastic. The room they set us up in for the night was a wonderful way to end the night gorgeous. If ever you want a special day to come true I would recommend you let them help you out. All the family and guests could not believe in two days that all the people that work here could have taken all we wanted and made its all so beautiful in such short notice. That just showed us how much they care about making peoples important day very very special. We would like to say thank you to everyone again for all your hospitality. Again a wedding dream come true only because of you all. Always will be remembered yours truly Mr and Mrs Richard Rivers.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WinnipegKelly
Wade B, Manager at Canad Inns Destination Centre Fort Garry, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear Mrs. Richard Rivers,

On behalf of myself, and the rest of the Fort Garry team, again our congratulations on your recent marriage! Our team embraces a challenge, even organizing weddings in 48 hours during Thanksgiving weekend. We recognize the obvious stress that can be related to planning any function, especially a wedding, and we take pride that our team was able to create a stress-free environment for you, your husband and guests! Thank you for your kind review and I will be using this feedback for group discussions with all departments involved.

It was a pleasure hosting this event, and we won’t soon forget the Smith/Rivers wedding either!

Hope to see you again,

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Me and my husband stayed for a weekend the staff were very friendly and helpfull everything was very clean and tidy. the food was really good also, there is also lots do in the area Shopping Resturants ect. I will be coming back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sherry M

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with Canad Inns Fort Garry! I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to take advantage of the shopping opportunities around our hotel. We are lucky to have St Vital Shopping Center, Osborne Village, Corydon Boutiques and Kenaston Crossing all within a 5-minute drive from us. We are also excited to have IKEA shopping center completed by months end!

See you again,